ScienceGeek

Diagnosis

I had my assessment today and the appointment went well, tiring, but well. The official diagnosis was HFA and dyspraxia. I'm going to see the OT and he made a whole bunch of recommendations. I was expecting it so am somewhat relieved but it hasn't really sunk in yet. Now I'm going to install the new WoW expansion and relax for the evening. Thanks for all the help that people have given me on here :)

Well done (I know, sounds strange to say well done, but you know what I mean :) ). Be prepared for all sorts of odd emotions as the reality starts to sink in.

Oh, and you need to change your signature... :lol: :lol:

glad u have managed to get a dx at last!

Everyone has a different experience of how they feel post confirmation of dx (I say confirmation because adults who seek dx aren't going to be hit by any surprises... so it's rather a confirmation as oppose to a revelation). I've spent my time since dx (nearly 2 years ago!) trying to prove to myself that it's not true :lol:, very unsuccesfully I might add :)

The hardest part is telling other people. I've hardly told anybody. My closest friends know because they were with me when I was assessed (it was actually my best friend who pushed me to go for dx). My mum now knows although it took her until just a couple of months ago to accept it.

Whatever emotions you are going through SG, hope that eventually the confirmation will lead to enpowerment.

Flora X

Hi Sciencegeek,

May I say congratulations!?

As the others say, it will take time to sink in and a whole range of emotions will surface but at least now you know officially!!

Glad your game arrived - enjoy!!!

Stella xx

I can understand that, SG, where DX's are involved, that little niggle dies hard.

You'll adjust to this and I think be glad you got your DX, even though my perspective is that of a parent receiving a confirmatory DX for my son......

Cheers for the link, btw, that looks fab...I might arm myself against killer moths and get my OH to prise open his wallet so's I can buy it!!!

Well I got my report this morning and it says AS now not HFA, not that it makes much difference. :lol: Quite a depressing read, now just to forward it to the relevant people :huh:

At least youve got an answer now SG!

I think a lot of people will have such doubts with any kind of medical diagnosis.

hi people recently dx as after many years. like many of us labled paraniod elements of ptsd etc etc .knew things were bad when discharged from army for misconduct finally got dx after nearly 20 years boy what a fight! def come close to walking and getting lost !

knew things were bad when discharged from army for misconduct

The only reason i didnt get some form of misconduct/dishonourable is because the threshold for officers getting disciplinary action is much higher than for others and i was sheltered from a lot of things because of my Rank and also because i was in the submarine service so an even smaller community!!!!

Luckily a lot of my naughty stuff was when theyd decided i was ill so i got away with it because i was "nuts" and even more appallingly i got away with going AWOL, attempting suicide, making myself unfit for duty (AKA self harm!!), walking down a dual carriageway and being detained by the Police (ALL on the same day!!), simpley because my Manager did not notice i had gone missing :lol:

I felt sad when I got my report too. It listed many difficulties I hadn't been aware of. I showed it to my mum because I was worried the Dr had exaggerated things in order to diagnose, but my mum said that she feels it is accurate. But I did feel better about it quite quickly, looking at what I have achieved despite those difficulties. You are studying at university and have a successful relationship.

It's weird that they have changed it from HFA to AS. They have probably reviewed all the evidence and changed their minds. If they were unsure, they really should have told you they weren't entirely certain instead of saying HFA. Nevertheless, that isn't really important, you now have a diagnosis which will hopefully lead to the right kind of support.