Sign in to follow this  
tjw

hair cutting help

hi

i was just wondering if any tips on hair cutting my ds has just had his done it has taken me ages to do it, and i only use the clipper because all else has failed,

he was a total wreck sweating crying shaking flappin needless to say it is not very straight, but i have tryed hairdressers at home/salon, sissors are a big no no, he has calmed down a bit now, but it realy stresses him, god i hate haircut time, i have done it realy short so the time inbetween is longer, i should just let it grow but he has the thickest hair ever and he has head sweats alot, just wondered if any tips out here, d/s is just 6

thanks theresa x

All I can say is when my son was about 2 had his first proper hair cut as it grows very very slowly. I braved it and took him to a our local barbers who was very good and managed to do a half decent job. I had to sit on the seat with son on lap so I got covered with hair but son did not make to much of a fuss.

This barber seems to have a way with kids, Iv seen him at work a few times and the kids just seem to do as he says.

He has a few toys that he gets out and there is the promise of some sweets at the end.

We have since moved and I now do it myself. I just work as fast as I can and hope for the best.

Like you I always do it short to reduce the frequency of job. About once every 6 months.

That's about all I have to say on matter.

When I was little my big brother use to take my to Barbers, one time my mum sent a note saying "can you please cut it shorter" Barber sent back note "Well I cant cut it longer"

Can totally empathise, DS hates having his hair cut too and has been a battle for many years. Earlier this year he let it grow, but as its very thick and curly got very unruly and almost had the appearance of dreadlocks (so I would highly recommend NOT letting it grow) it got so awful that in the end he let me cut it off with scissors. It really could do with a tidy up now but I have to chose my time carefully.

Hope some other people come along with lots of good suggestions as I too will be following this thread !

Clare x x x

hi chris and clare

thanks for the replys,, i have done the barbar and chair thingy hairdressers actually sighed when i siad i wouldnt be coming back. i dont think i will be letting it grow as it will cause major probs getting it cut when needed. bless i have done him on a no 2 clipper so will be ok till after xmas but it grows like grass his hair nitemare, he seems to have goton over it now thank the lord, just dread it, but try not to show it.

thanks guys

theresa xx

We have problems with this too, I wish he would have the clippers but he wont, he is terrified.

He has one barber haircut it took 2 barbers, that was 6 months ago and we have let it grow (fortunately its fashionable again).

In the past I have had goes at it with proper hairdressing scissors. They seem to make the job quicker. It doesnt look that professional I know.

I could do with one of those combs with the razor fitted in, but I havent seen those for ages.

C used to be petrified of clippers so I let him hold them himself so he got used to the noise. Once he was comfortable with them I let him "help", this usually consists of him doing a couple of strokes himself then passing them to me so I can finish it.

He still gets bored or anxious and runs off a couple of times so I tend to leave it for a little while so he can calm down. It takes a few attempts but I can usually get it finished in a night and still have time to bath him afterwards and it's a lot calmer than before.

I still take it very short so we don't have to do it too often though, lol.

Edited by kinky j

I've absolutely GOT to do DSs hair tomorrow - we've left it as long as we can but it just has to be done.

We'll let him help with cutting his Dad's hair, and we'll bribe him with all sorts, but I'm sure it will still take several hours :blink:

Haven't got much advice, I'm afraid - hopefully it's one of those things that will get beter in time :pray:

We had real problems with this when my son was younger, he did grow out of it thankfully at about 8yrs old.Now he will sit still but scowls quite dreadfully the whole time.

..........theres a few options , let it grow and he can be a cool surfer dude(we ,ve done this)

.......bribery................ :devil:

...distraction techniques.........

...........the full body hug and pin him down :tearful:

............done all of these over the years.we did find in the end though that buying some good hair clippers and doing it at home ourselves was the best and easiest way.........we can use ours in the bath which helps.Also try putting ear plugs in his ears when you do it and giving him a cloth to hold over his face...........my son hated the hair falling on his face as it tickled so much and we would,nt keep still cos of it.

best of luck suzex

Can you find out which aspects of it particularly annoy him?

We had a hairdresser who came to our house. She used to cut his hair while I read him a story or he watched TV (his problem was keeping his head still while she was cutting). She was very experieinced and confident. He hated it going in his face so we always wet his hair first. He quite liked the clippers (just round the neck), but I know a lot of children don't like the noise/vibration. He got sweets as a reward at the end.

Some chidlren don't like their head being touched, as it is too sensitive. I don't know if giving it a massage first would desensitise it.

One thing he still hates is that he gets little bits of hair down the back of his shirt, which he finds unbearable. We always have to brush his neck off well, and I sometimes take a T-shirt so he can change straight afterwards (or we come home and wash his hair and change his shirt).

He always used to hate having his hair brushed or combed. He used to say that I was digging it in (I wasn't). It is easier now he can do it himself.

Have you tried using a timer - either for the full hair cut or split it up into 2 minute sessions over the day?

Have you tried telling your child that his hair needs to be cut, but how shall we do it? Get him to make suggestions on how to make it bearable. Perhaps give him choices (you could make it into a game/star chart) - scissors or clippers? Front or back first? Left or right side first? Perhaps give points for each sections - to earn a reward (eg: computer time, a story from you, make a cake). You could link it to Thomas the Tank going round a train track, visiting various sites and if he gets back to the sheds then he gets a reward (or whatever his obsession is).

Can you get someone to help you, so you can concentrate on the cutting and they can concentrate on distracting/entertaining him?

A good dusting of talcum powder it supposed to stop the itching round neck and down back.. That it what barbers use. Don't know if it works.

hi all and thanks for the tips some good ones in here that i havent tryed, i will defo try the talc chris as he hates hair on him but he gets so sweaty it sticks to him, the timer and splitting up the session sounds like a good idea also karen, never tryed the ear plugs suze so i will try this also, i will try anything that helps, he realy freaks when you get to his ears, so we get dad to hold them and we do manage to cut hair but this realy stresses him, are your cutter cordless suze is that why you can use them in the bath? good luck nickyb hope its not to stressful, someone said that they ds grow out of it at around 8yrs heres hopeing that means i only have 2 yrs left :lol: but once again thanks for all the tips and i do hope this thread can help others who face the same probs

take care

theresa xx

we use a small pair of earfones plugged into pc and he listens to music,,he still jumps about with the hair fallin down even though he has a towel around him,,it works for us,,we have to use the clippers and shave it down to a number 2 so we dont have to do it often,,,

OMG just found a set of clippers in argos they are in a glove type thing and george can do his own we have just shown him them and he says he will try them next time, i will have to finish it but if its something he has choosen then fingers crossed i will let you all no how it gos but not at least 2 mth :pray:

theresa xx

opps i used the name of a store sorry

Edited by tjw

Hi

I remember having to cut my son's hair whilst he was sleeping. I'd get one side done one night and the other done the next if he lay on the opposite side!

My sister is a hairdresser and she'd cut his hair in our house in the hope it'd make him feel more comfortable, but to no avail.

I think he was simply too young to be negotiated with - he hated having to sit, simple as that.

In the end I let his hair grow long enough for it to get in his eyes and it did irritate him (he ended up looking like a little girl as his hair is very thick). Only then did he allow it to be cut and thankfully we now have no more hair-cutting problems.

Caroline.

I was going to suggest letting your son watch a DVD whilst you cut - and having it on earphones is an excellent idea (my DS also dislikes the noise of the clippers)

I feel that clippers are far safer if I should slip (or my son thrash about) whilst they are cutting. I do use scissors around the ears though.

I encourage my son to help me cut Daddy's hair first, and then we do his.

I also make it clear that this is non-negotiable (like teeth cleaning has to be) and that I am going to keep going until it is done. If need be we discuss the next couple of events of the day so that he knows which (nice things) will have to be missed if we use up the time on hair cutting ....

He often has a bath straight after the haircutiing and then a treat food and drink after that .....

Hope that helps!

Helen

My son also hates having his hair cuts. The clippers are noisy and painful. The cut off hair annoys him terribly.

We always give him chewing gum and than he normally has a very quick haircut with scissors. We have used the same hairdresser since he was 2 years old. She is very good and patient with him