Mumble

I'm Cold!!!

Well, whoopee, I appear to have developed 'normal' temperature sensitivity :clap: :clap: - and now I'm bloomin' freezin' :(

So.... perhaps some of the forum oldies :banman: who can remember life before electricity can help. :whistle::devil:

Any tips for keeping warm - I've tried: electric blanket, hot water bottle, hot drinks, layers, snuggly blanket ... But I'm still cold :( Is there anything obvious that I haven't tried that might help, otherwise I'm going into hibernation and not coming out until I see green shoots on the trees :lol: :lol:

Edited by Mumble

sorry Mumble no advice as i don't feel the cold

I am currently sitting in my room with no heating on and the window open!

other than the things you are already doing i don't know what else to suggest?

Do you not habe your heating on?

So.... perhaps some of the forum oldies :banman: who can remember life before electricity can help. :whistle::devil:

Any tips for keeping warm - I've tried: electric blanket, hot water bottle, hot drinks, layers, snuggly blanket ... But I'm still cold :( Is there anything obvious that I haven't tried that might help, otherwise I'm going into hibernation and not coming out until I see green shoots on the trees :lol: :lol:

Well oi remember when we had to rub two sticks together...

Solutions: Go and live in a hot country? :) Having come from one, I always feel cold, even when everyone else is warm, so I sympathise.

K x

I've been cold since I got this rotten cold/flu/virussy thing which seems to pretend to go away and then suddenly flare up again :(

I have thermal long johns and long sleeved thermal vest, which I put on under my pj's (very becoming :wub: ). Then I have two hot water bottles and put one under my neck/shoulders and the other under my feet and lower back alternately. It really works!!!!

Flo' :D

Exercise, I have a exercise bike, its great for giving yourself a bit of an energy boost AND Certainly warms you up.

Running machine, Skipping, ect...

Coal Fire/central heating at set times,

As mad as this sounds, what about a walk outside for about 30 mins, then come in and you will see how warm your home is.

IT has been exceptionally cold lately though, so it could be just that it is really very cold.

Your layers are they proper outdoor fermals, nothing underneath, then a second layer of trousers and jumpers, then another layer of fleece.

Feramal socks recently bought have been absaloutly great for me this year,

and Yoga, is great for getting the circulation going again.

I really dont know how the real oldies did it, back in the 30s, 40s, before electricity and running water, central heating, how did they do it.

JsMum

maybe youve got an illness coming on!! I find i feel the cold more when im ill like before christmas i was frozen, but since well again im back to walking round in a polo shirt no matter what.

Have you been sat around a lot??? I tend to find if im not doing much you get colder so walk up down stairs a couple times or do something to get muscles and metabolism working again. I find even in the so called freezing temperatures i just have to walk a bit faster if i get chilly.

Here in the frozen north we have something called 'fire' (like a big orange wobbly thing)(that isn't an orange Jelly :shame:). It's stored in these handy containers called 'matches' (although, to be honest, most houses/huts/caves usually keep their own supply of 'fire' in a special place that we call a 'fire-place').

Not sure if this would help down in the big smoke (although, as they say, no smoke without fire :lol:) as you probably don't have 'matches'.

On a slightly more practical level...duvet?

You young uns, honestly. When I was young, a hundred years ago, we woke up to ice on the inside of the windows. Very priddy it looked, too. No duvets - just sheets, blankets & an eiderdown. During the winter months I was sewn into me liberty bodice and my dad rubbed camphorated oil on my chest. We slept with hats on, and kept a paraffin lamp in the outside lav to stop it freezing up. You don't know you're born.

It has been bliddy cold though.

Her in doors has got herself a pair of big fluffy slippers and thermal socks to keep her feet warm, always got cold feet, the other day I came in and found her sat in doors with gloves on and I supposed to be the soft southerner. I sometime keep my outdoor body warmer on in doors.

Our excuse/reason is that new house's heating needs sorting out. It has a newish boiler but old rads are to small and inefficient and very little loft insulation. And the fire place in lounge has been blocked off so cant have fire until that is sorted out. I put a new rad in my sons bedroom nice and warm in there now,-- but he don't feel the cold, sleeps with only a superlight summer wight duvet, even in the coldest weather.

How to keep warm. Well don't forget to keep your head warm. Well that's what my mum always says."Dont forget your hat"

Edited by chris54

You young uns, honestly. When I was young, a hundred years ago, we woke up to ice on the inside of the windows. Very priddy it looked, too. No duvets - just sheets, blankets & an eiderdown. -- We slept with hats on, and kept a paraffin lamp in the outside lav to stop it freezing up. You don't know you're born.

Same here.

We put coats on top of bed covers to try and keep warm, Only ever had a fire down stares in dinning room, rest of house was unheated.

Yep they don't know their born these youngens..

During the winter months I was sewn into me liberty bodice

Oh, what a shame it's not in my colour... :whistle:

Flora - thanks, that image made me laugh which has risen my body temperature by ohhh, 0.0001 degrees :lol:

Long John shopping tomorrow!!! :lol: :lol: I live in student halls so the heating is always on so I really shouldn't be cold - oh well.

Here in the frozen north we have something called 'fire' (like a big orange wobbly thing)(that isn't an orange Jelly :shame:). It's stored in these handy containers called 'matches' (although, to be honest, most houses/huts/caves usually keep their own supply of 'fire' in a special place that we call a 'fire-place').

Not sure if this would help down in the big smoke (although, as they say, no smoke without fire :lol:) as you probably don't have 'matches'.

On a slightly more practical level...duvet?

I live in the north too, I recently moved into our home and it has a real coal fire, I cant express how much I adore this fire, its sooo cozy and warm, and it is a wonder why the real coal fire died, and now there is central heating, I mean a coal fire there isnt anything that beats it.

More Ideas I thought of keeping warm in the oldie days was dancing, jigging it, and warming up that way, in the old days there was another they kept warm but families were much larger then!

JsMum

in the old days there was another they kept warm but families were much larger then!

I don't understand... :whistle: :whistle:

On Serious level, Keeping warm for some will be a really hard thing to do with rising fuel costs, I googled keeping warm and found this that may be helpful to those who need information on keeping warm.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandsta...dance/DH_087968

http://campaigns.direct.gov.uk/keepwarmkeepwell/index.html

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Well, whoopee, I appear to have developed 'normal' temperature sensitivity :clap: :clap: - and now I'm bloomin' freezin' :(

As an oldie (55years), I remember the Big Freeze of Winter 1962 / 1963 . I was only 8 yrs old at the time but it put me off snow for life. In those days we had no central heating and my mum would put the gas stove on with door open and we dressed for school in the kitchen. The windows were iced up with pretty patterns and I remember hating the cold even then.

Now for the tips. I suggest several layers of clothing, including thermals. Also , just lately I have been coming home and leaving my hat and coat on for a few hours until I get warm.

Ensure that your home is well insulated ie cavity and loft insulation. My problem at the moment is that I have no insulating underlay and carpet, just floor boards and as it is an old house there is plenty of cold air coming up through the cracks. My number one priority this year is to get the rest of the house double glazed and the ground floor carpeted. Then hopefully it might feel warmer next winter.

I also hope that those of you who are eligible are getting your cold weather payments !

You young uns, honestly. When I was young, a hundred years ago, we woke up to ice on the inside of the windows.

HAH!! I remember ice on the inside of the windows in my grans house too!!! Oh maybe that means im just not young any more and am now officially old??? Does that mean i can now say "the damn youth of today" and other such comments???

Anyway, I've found the answer :thumbs: :thumbs: Might scare the other students on the corridor thought!!!

Try this sleeping bag: military sleeping bag even has arms soyou can stay warm and snug while awake.

i hate being cold mumble :crying: i wear nicks thermals under my clothes to go down the school and bed socks :lol: i put tights on under katies school trousers,they reckon the best tip is to wear a hat but i look pretty silly in a hat so i just brave the head being cold bit!!

you like a elephant aint you bid :lol: you dont forget a thing do ya!!! :lol: no my trousers were the right way today :clap:

lol this thread has made me giggle x im only 33 and we only had heating downstairs wen i wus younger and no duvets lol we had loads of blankets and woke up to icy windows boohoo if u wanted a wee u used to leg it or u wud freeze lol

ive been looking in2 getting some allinone pj's like the kids wear with the feet in they do them for adults too i love them

love donnaxxxx

oh my house was sooo cold when i was little,we used to run out of bed in the mornings to get dressed cos it was freezing :crying: didnt have central heating,i just hate being cold