warrenpenalver

traditional recipes

Ive been trying to find some reciepes for puddings i like from being a kid.

All the ones on the internet seem to be different to each other so im not sure which one is the proper one as there seems to be lots of old puddings that theyve added a "twist" to and i dont want that.

Im looking for reciepes to make traditional sweet crumble and lemon suet pudding.

:robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie:

I WOULD LOVE JUST A BASIC CURRY RECIPE,ONE I CAN JUST CHUCK IN A SLOW COOKER WITH NO HASSLE,IVE TRIED BEFORE BUT IT WAS AWFUL :crying:

Hev, I use Pataks curry paste. I add all the ingredients as listed on the jar, but instead of following the instructions I just chuck them all into a casserole and put it in the oven and stir it every 15 mins or so to prevent the chicken sticking to the bottom. The meat comes out very tender from being cooked this way.

This apple crumble recipe looks good:

http://www.cookuk.co.uk/cake/apple-crumble-recipe.htm

And this lemon pud (with suet)

http://www.britainexpress.com/articles/Foo...mon-pudding.htm

You could nip down to the local charity shops and look out for old cookery books. Books by Margaret Patten tend to to have the old recipes.

She was big between 1940s and 1960s and was asked by the war time government to make up recipes in order to make food rationing more exciting !

For a real traditional suet pud , go for the beef suet not the vegetarian variety.

Jannih

My gran has her own hand written reciepe book handed down. I shall look for one of those books!!

For a real traditional suet pud , go for the beef suet not the vegetarian variety.

I have the beef suet along with lots of things like flour as when i equipped my kitchen i copied what i remembered from my grans house. I got tons of stuff ive never used :lol:

I like the lemon pud but i remember as well as zest and juice, a whole lemon was put in the middle of the pudding and it all goes soft and leeches the flavour into the suet. Is that still a suet lemon pudding???

I like the lemon pud but i remember as well as zest and juice, a whole lemon was put in the middle of the pudding and it all goes soft and leeches the flavour into the suet. Is that still a suet lemon pudding???

I'm not familiar with Lemon suet Puddiing . My mum used to make Treacle or Jam pudding and Spotty Dick. Yummy !

There is a thread with them all on on the money saving expert but as it s another froum I'm not sure I'm allowed to link to it can the mods let me know and I'll post or PM it as needs be

I think this is either a pond pudding or a well pudding.

I WOULD LOVE JUST A BASIC CURRY RECIPE,ONE I CAN JUST CHUCK IN A SLOW COOKER WITH NO HASSLE,IVE TRIED BEFORE BUT IT WAS AWFUL :crying:

Do like tally says with a paste ( I'm really lucky - an Indian supermarket has opened in TW and they sell a range called ferns which are the dog's knees) but brown everything first in a saucepan to seal the meat and caramalise/seal the onions and that...

Two 'top tips' for that genuine curry-shop flavour: dried Methi (fenugreek) leaves added near the end of cooking time will make your kitchen smell like the lobby of an indian restaurant and the curry taste spot on. Fresh chopped coriander stirred through at the end...

Oh - Dried curry leaves too, but add them to the pot at the start.

If no ones D/F use butter rather than oil - clarified (ghee) if you can find/be ar*ed

For special rice - while it's cooking finely chop some mushrooms and onion and saute with a good sprinkling of Methi/coriander and a tiny bit of curry paste. then stir through your rice which you have of course cooked with half a stock cube added to the water (you didn't? :shame: ).

Boy, am i glad it's friday - 'cos FRIDAY NIGHT IS CURRY NIGHT :thumbs::thumbs:

:D

where can i get the dried methi from then bighead??? :rolleyes:

If you have an indian supermarket (you must have one somewhere in G/E?) they'll have it, or some big supermarkets in the herb section (esp now they seem to have that little corner by the FF section for ethnic foods)... you MAY find it just in the little jars (often though they only seem to carry the seeds, which aren't great for sprinkiling!), but a packet of the stuff from an indian supplier will cost you about a quid and last ten times longer. In English it's fenugreek, but it's the same stuff. I think it's a diuretic, so don't have too much or you'll wet the bed! You could also ask your local Indian restaurant to sell you a 'baggy' but be careful - On "spaced" they once mixed up Daisy's oregano with something that looked similar but wasn't - needless to say her chicken stew was very 'moreish' :lol:

:D

We had this great recipe from my mum when we were growing up:

1x slice of bread

Margarine/butter

Jam/marmalade

The recipe was a little complicated but is worth it:

1. Place bread on work surface

2. Spread margarine/butter (to taste) on the bread (Note: Apply to only one side of the bread)

3. Spread the jam/marmalade (to taste) on top of the margarine/butter

4. Eat

I believe it was called Devil's Spawn of Satan Delight (or something) :notworthy:

Not as good as a Bl###y Eyeball, though, I'm willing to bet!!

Take a portion of Instant oatmeal and place in a bowl(Y'know-the kind wot did make the kids go to school wiv a glow, circa 1984!)- then add hot milk to it, mixing as you go-careful, not too runny, and definitely no lumps (cos they're orrible, like eatin' frogspawn!)

Now, open a jar of yummy strawrberry jam, extricate a generous dollop with the aid of a large spoon, and splodge it in the middle of the hot oatmeal.

If you leave it a couple of minutes, it melts a bit and runs, making the whole thing look like.....

Yeah, you got it, a giant Bl###y eyeball!!

Oh, heavenly! :eat:

BTW, Neil, we had a variation on your recipe-replace the jam/'lade with sugar or condensed milk, or if you're feeling posh, golden syrup!

(It's a wonder I still have a full set of teeth!....Perhaps not such a conundrum that I have great, orgulous fillings in most of the molars though!!) :rolleyes:

Actually, at my schools, a kind of caramel shortbread was served that I have never seen since, sadly, as it was ambrosia itself! It had the usual biscuity type base, then a thick layer of caramel that was glossy and not quite set in consistency, then was topped in chocolate sprinkles......

(worryingly, I nearly drooled in remembrance....the best way to describe it is, y'know that noise Homer makes when he eats a donut? That.)

Edited by pookie170

oooh your all giving me ideas!!!

A good thing i have found is the orange coloured supermarket does these receipe sheets and ive got a few of them now and i even bought the reciepe folder for it.

Not as good as a Bl###y Eyeball, though, I'm willing to bet!!

Take a portion of Instant oatmeal and place in a bowl(Y'know-the kind wot did make the kids go to school wiv a glow, circa 1984!)- then add hot milk to it, mixing as you go-careful, not too runny, and definitely no lumps (cos they're orrible, like eatin' frogspawn!)

Now, open a jar of yummy strawrberry jam, extricate a generous dollop with the aid of a large spoon, and splodge it in the middle of the hot oatmeal.

If you leave it a couple of minutes, it melts a bit and runs, making the whole thing look like.....

Yeah, you got it, a giant Bl###y eyeball!!

Oh, heavenly! :eat:

I've got an even easier recipe for a bl00dy eyeball...

take one sheep's eyeball and............

Oh - and here's another:

:fight:

I also have another recipe for a turkish delicacy... chocolate covered nuts...... ;)

Edited by baddad

That lemon and suet pudding is what I've heard called a Sussex Pond Pudding. It is good for keeping you upright when it's a windy day. Just make sure that your suet is not out of date; it tastes very nasty and rancid when it is.

Patak's pastes were originally created for the Indian catering trade so you end up eating something that tastes almost as good as what's served up in your local Indian.

I'm now sooooo hungry, slobber slobber.

Talking of which, has anyone seen the latest 'Simon's Cats' cartoon? It's actually about a dog, this time - don't have the link but you'll get to it if you google 'Simon's sister's dog'. Too many puddings and you'll feel like the dog.

Billabong

That lemon and suet pudding is what I've heard called a Sussex Pond Pudding.

There is a very good recipe for it in a book by Jane Grigson called English Food. This is far and away my favorite cookery book and I strongly recommend it to anyone. It also contains the best recipe for rice pudding I've ever seen (if your experience of rice pudding is school dinners or that tinned stuff, I urge you to try it - it's a revelation). The book contains a lot of traditional recipes, with some newer ones as well. I've cooked the majority of the dishes in the book and none has disappointed. Oh yes, and in addition to English food there are Welsh and Scottish recipes (in fact, why it's called 'English' food is a bit of a mystery).

Its a north african spice blend which includes rose petals. When we lived & worked in Algeria when we were first married it was the spice of choice for the locals, so we got in the habit of making curry with it & missed it terribly when we returned to England. But a couple of years back I noticed it on sale in a deli (S**s*n*d P**n**r brand) & since then in several large supermarkets. I do a lovely spicy lentil soup with it.

Oooh this thread makes me want to cook! (and eat) :eat:

Sounds interesting. Is it very spicy?

My favourite meal at the moment is Nasi Goreng, which is an Indonesian fried rice dish. You add chilli sauce called Sambal Oelek, so you can add as much or as little as you like. My grandma used to make it and recently I have seen pastes for it in the shops and I can make it myself :)