Sign in to follow this  
mumtothree

Is this true?

Right this may be abit long so im sorry if it is, but i dont know what to do and if what im being told is true

my son is 4 1/2 has been in school since september 2008. in october 08 the school spoke to SENCO and was asked to write up a plan which the teacher done, but during this time SENCO was off sick from october half term until jan this year. when we saw my sons paedatrician she said the school should be doing more, ie an IEP so i went bk to the school and asked, which the teacher said is all written up but no one to check it.

in december the teacher said that the stuff they had written down isnt working, so was going to see about the educational pysholgist assessing but i know they only come to the school a new times a year.

so he goes back after christmas, SENCO is now back, i was told a review was due this week. anyhow as we heard nothing i got my partner to ask the school when he picked him up.

we have been told that because hes under 5 they cannot do a legal report til hes 5. they said they can have the IEP written up but its not legally binding til hes 5. but they will help him with what he needs

now ive done some reserach and as hes in the early years foundation even though hes under 5 they can still do a IEP or early years action plan and plus if it fails. but they r saying no report can be made til hes 5.

hes birthday is not til July so come septemeber he will go into year 1 and im worried with no help or support

we have never been asked to have a meeting with them to discuss his needs or been shown anything that has been written up. again judging by what i had read, they r meant to ask us what we feel would help him etc.

i have tried to call her but she doesnt work everyday and isnt in school now until tuesday.

surely becuase hes under 5 they cannot help him, im so confused.

we see the community paed in feb and tbh i dont know what to say to them when they ask what the school r doing as seems its not alot

i get told, they have had to leave him on the carpet while the teacher works with the others as he dont listen, gets up etc, which isnt fair on him esp when he cant help it

sorry i hope this makes sense, but i dont know what ive been told is right or not

I'm not sure where this "5" bit comes from. Other than that is the age that compulsory education starts.

Not sure about the legal status of IEP, but if they are identifying a need then they should be addressing it.

As for the SENCO being off sick and nothing getting done, some one should stand in for her and do the job.

I can understand that they would still be at the stage of detailing the help he needs but to just do nothing is not acceptable.

If you don't get any joy from the SENCO next week I would take it further.

Hi

There's a bit of information on the NAS website about IEPs, and it says:

'When should IEPs be used?

IEPs should be used to set out the interventions made for individual pupils through Early Years Action, or Early Years Action Plus or School Action or School Action Plus and for children with statements of Special Educational Needs (SEN).'

also:

'Wherever possible the child should also take part in the review and be involved in setting targets.

When reviewing IEPs teachers should consider:

the child's progress

the parents' views

the child's views

how effective the IEP has been

anything that is affecting the childs progress

any updated information and advice

future action, including changes to targets or strategies

After considering the child's progress, the targets to be achieved by the next review should be set by appropriate staff with the involvement of the parents and, if possible, the child.'

Here's a link to the website :NAS

It also might be worth looking at the SEN code of practice, which you can download : SEN Code of practice

I can't find any mention of an age limit.

In my own experience, it's best to gain as much knowledge as you can, so that you know exactly what help you and your son should be getting

I hope that helps, and good luck >:D<<'>

"As for the SENCO being off sick and nothing getting done, some one should stand in for her and do the job".

Hi Chris,

Slightly off topic but I couldn't help noticing your comment "As for SENCO etc."

I work as TA in a secondary school with 1,085 pupils on role and our SENCO is having a back operation in two weeks time. She has informed us she will be off for at least 8 weeks. There is no one to replace her and we four TA's have been told we will just have to manage as best we can. :tearful:

Julieann

I work as TA in a secondary school with 1,085 pupils on role and our SENCO is having a back operation in two weeks time. She has informed us she will be off for at least 8 weeks. There is no one to replace her and we four TA's have been told we will just have to manage as best we can. :tearful:

Julieann

Don't you think that this is part of the problem that the school any school feels it is OK not to bring in relief staff when needed and are happy for things to just muddle on.

But that's another story.

J was also on an IEP at 3, at nursery. It was called a Play plan, but it was just the same as an IEP and they're talking out of their bums! J was on a Statement at the age of 4 , so if you can Statement them, you can certainly IEP them,as J had IEPs to go along with the Statement.

If you have a parent partnership organisation, might be a time to involve them. Good luck.

Shaun also had an IEP from the age of 3.5yrs. I had to sign it to show I had seen it and agreed with what was included in it. I also got a copy for myself too. His IEP has been changed roughly every 6months. I don't know if it is legal with Shaun being under 5 but the nursery are taking seriously.

Anne-Marie