pearl

All a bit fishy ....

I made kedgeree last night with proper lovely oak-smoked haddock. Mmmmmm.

But today my entire house smells like the inside of a Whitby kipper hut :sick:

This always happens & it puts me off cooking fish.

Does anyone know any nice natural ways of getting rid of the pong? I'm really not into chemical sprays & suchlike.

Ta muchly :thumbs:

Does anyone know any nice natural ways of getting rid of the pong?

I could say something really offensive in response that...but I won't :devil:

Found this though:

Use Baking Soda: Baking soda is a good, natural way of removing fish odors from the surface of your house, even though it may not be able to remove any deeply penetrated odor. For this step, wash the part of the house from where the odor is coming with clean water. Then sprinkle baking soda over the area. Then rub the baking soda into the wet area. Let it dry. Then brush or vacuum the area to remove the dried materials.

Whether it works or not is another matter...

Thankyou. But that would involve what sounds very much like hard work. Course, if you offered to do it for me ... :whistle:

Hard work? I don't understand? Where's the button on the keyboard that says 'Hard Work'? ;)

I thought this was time when having kids came into it's own ("No little one, this is fun - now you do that while mummy has another sherry" :devil:)? :lol:

My mother swears(!) half a raw onion on a saucer will absorb the smell.

Anyhoo I've just been given a menu suggestion for the weekend, compiled by 3 of my children. 'Sandwich selection'. Sorry how did I get to run a 5* hotel?

Ok so its looking like hard work, child slave labour, lemongrass, onion or eating my bin :unsure:

I'm not sure whats in Febreze Warren but if you check the label & it says "parfum" its usually something dodgy.

Thanks all - think I'll try the lemongrass next time & work my way down the list :thumbs:

A bottle of red wine is the best solution. Drink it and you'll forget about the smell.

K x

I bet she's tried this one already...possibly several times :devil:

Does anyone know of any commercial air fresheners that aren't more disgusting than the smell they're trying to disguise? The worst ones are those that you're meant to put in your car. They make me gag and make my driving even worse than normal. The nicer they sound, the more breathtakingly awful they smell. Rant, rant, rant, I must be a certain age. :lol: Come to think of it, I quite like the smell of kedgeree. Does anyone know of a kedgeree-scented car freshener? Or do I just stick a piece of smoked haddock up the exhaust?

Billabong

Consider youself lucky, Pearlie, that your house does smell 'sole'-ly (BOOM BOOM!!!!) of fish!

I came home from work a while back to the most horrendously assaulting smell possible. I swear, the smell was so thick, you could have cut it with a chainsaw!!!

And to my disbelief, it grew WORSE as I retched my way through the house, so much so that by the time I staggered my way to the kitchen, the atmosphere was like that of Venus and every breath was a struggle.....

Then, against my better judgement, but in order to strangle my curiousity (in much the same fashion as was the reek occluding me!) I squinched my eyes, mouth and nose tight shut and gingerly pushed open the door......

Well..........

:sick:

In order to uphold the sound moral etiquette that has prevailed, thus far (and most unusually, dare I say, for this forum, fnarfnar!!) throughout this topic, I shall not lauch into the gloriously technicolouriffic, gruesomely accurate and churningly graphic description of the scene that I treated my friends to over our Friday coffees (and scones, as it happened.....and in one most unfortunate case, a chocolate brownie...) (......Quite.)

Suffice to say, our dog had been ill, and it appeared he thought he would communicate his ill health by releasing it liberally over most of the floor....

I cannot bring myself to recount the tale of how I remedied this situation, I have instead filed it under 'Unspeakable' and will never permit this memory to see a neuron again....

However, getting back to the topic in hand (or nose, perchance!) I found the burning of essential oils most efficacious in banishing the lingering smell back to the netherworld from whence it came......

Lavender worked well, I found, being fresh out of lemongrass.......

Might I add, before I go avail myself of a draught of the strongest tea possible, that not even the Spanish Inquisition could have corralled me into eating my bin that day!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick: (Not the Cushions! Not the COMFY CHAIR!!!!)

Edited by pookie170

:lol: your posts always make me laugh Pookie, you have such a way with words :notworthy:

I dooo count my blessings really, the pervading aroma at mum's these days is Smoker's Den/Dog Kennel/Old Peeps home, mine smells positively fragrant by comparison. I try my best with industrial-strength potions when I clean her house (organic aromatherapy boogly boogly stuff just don't cut it!) but its like painting the Forth Bridge :lol:

Ok so its looking like hard work, child slave labour, lemongrass, onion or eating my bin :unsure:

I'm not sure whats in Febreze Warren but if you check the label & it says "parfum" its usually something dodgy.

Thanks all - think I'll try the lemongrass next time & work my way down the list :thumbs:

Don't forget to take photos when you eat the bin :D