Teresa

Panic Attacks

HI

My daughter been having CBT for 7 months for panic attacks, it's not been much help if i'm honest, would like to know

what other peoples view's are on CBT .

Regard's teresa x

i had CBT for severe anxiety when i was 17. it worked well at the time. however, with ASD, there is some debate over its effectiveness in the long-term because the problems are not localised to any one specific thing (like an NT person being afraid of flying for example). CBT works by creating specific coping mechanisms to deal with a problem, but with a larger, general problem this can be more difficult.

also, with all talking therapies, they only work if the person undergoing treatment has a positive relationship with the person giving the treatment. i had counselling with someone i didn't like, and sat in the room in silence for months.

I think CBT can be a really successful treatment when properly adapted for a person with ASD, but it's not going to help everyone. I think you have given it long enough to be sure that this course of treatment is not likely to be successful for your daughter. It might be worth either finding someone different, or looking at different types of therapy.

What about Hypnotherapy, or Mediation, I try a variety of Complimentary therapies for J and found that the Relaxation Techneques are better, guided meditation is very useful but absaloutly recommend Hypnotherapy, Reiki, Massage and other complimentary therapies.

JsMum

don't forget panic attacks are often caused by visual and/or auditory overload - and can be treated

I'm currently in the middle of a CBT course (2 sessions down, 2 to go)(apparently 4x20 minute sessions is enough to 'fix' me - welcome to life in Harrogate) but while they know that I'm AS, there doesn't seem to have been any provision made for this and I'm having to use a 'non-AS' system. A lot of what they're asking me to do involves 'feeling', making decisions etc. This, for me, isn't great and, as far as I can understand what they're asking me to do, it's about analysing situations after they've happened, identifying what stressed me, what caused me to get upset etc. and then work out ways to ways to deal with those situations better.

After the most recent session I think the therapist finally realised what I was struggling with: present me with a problem and I'll give you ten solutions. I just then can't decide which is 'better'...which then gets me back into a stress situation. Where we do seem to be making progress though (in theory) is recognising when stressful situations are taking shape and responding to that situation before reaching the stage where I 'snap' and then can't think coherantly.

Whether this is going to do any good long term I don't know as analysing situations is something that I've done for many years. If they can somehow help the decision process then we might make some progress. That's a big 'if' though. :(

At least my therapist has stopped treating me like a grade A moron after I blasted her with my theories on conscious and sub-conscious thought processes :whistle:

HI

Thanks for your feed back, will look into compilmentary therapies might be the next path to take, T has CBT once a

week for one and a half hours, it's also helping her to understand her AS , which I think has been helpful to her. When

she has a panic attack, it floor's her so much, its takes two day's for her to feel any better, and then she is still left with

her face twitching and looking very pale. It just takes one little thing to set it off, i'm walking on egg shell's all the

time, I never know when I am going to get a call to pick her up from college.

Thanks once again Teresa X

When she has a panic attack, it floor's her so much, its takes two day's for her to feel any better, and then she is still left with her face twitching and looking very pale.

Have these episodes been diagnosed by a medical professional as panic attacks? Panic attacks are not directly related to ASDs (although could be through higher levels of anxiety) - I wonder, given that you talk about little things setting them off, whether these are autistic meltdowns that are being misinterpreted?

Hi Mumble

yes she has a dx of PA aswell as AS and also ME, they are helping her to understand her AS and have also said

how it can contrubute" hmmm.. think that's the right word" to the PA. She does have meltdowns and they are nothing

like the PA

Thanks Teresa X

Hi,

Not quite sure what CBT is? (other than you mention the full words - but I still don't know what that means). My daughters (15yrs) currently having help from CAHMS as her anxieties and panic attacks are so severe (she also had help when she was 11/12yrs) and I've only heard them mention relaxation techniques (both on this occasion and the last time).

Her panic attacks (diagnosed by the Neuro) are very similar to her seizures, except that she is aware - she is unable to talk, move, her face contorts (similar to a stroke) - she dribbles and shakes etc - and then afterwards her speech remains slurs, difficulty in walking, concentration and then needs to sleep - her face also twitches for quite some time afterwards - these can happen from anxiety or any extreme emotion - would be interested to hear if this CBT would help this.

Many thanks,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

Hi jb1964

CBT therapist is teaching / explaining to T my daughter, how AS affects her, also her panic attacks, also teaching

her coping techniques / stratagies / relaxation methods for when a panic attack ocurs.

Regards Teresa x

CBT stands for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. It teaches you to understand how behaviour, feelings/thoughts and emotions are all linked and helps you to break the vicious cycle and find more realistic ways of thinking. It's helpful for many mental health problems, including depression, anxiety, panic and OCD. In autism, you have to consider that the person may find it very difficult to recognise and verbalise their emotions, but by focussing on the other areas, you can make progress.

That's really interesting JB: when my DS was younger he had severe panic attacks that also resembled seizures, and was assessed for epilepsy (MRI, EEG, etc).

I have had PAs in the past, but now tend more to get overwhelmed by feelings of panic...not sure if this is because I recognise the panic for what it is and so it doesn't progress to a full-blown PA.

I remember that when I wrote some bumf for my dx assessment, I put that throughout my life my dominant emotion has been fear. That's pretty sad when I think about it :(

Ho hum...

Bid :)

Edited by bid

I have AS i had CBT just after being officially diagnosed CAMHS put me in for it as had depression (still do) i didnt really get an option in it and feel put in for it too soon didnt feel i understood the therapy in my world very hard to grasp and get! confusing through could kinda see what they mean't trying reduce negative thinking into positive replaces old stuff with new! but dunt feel any therapies and tried really worked and had a lasting impact on me all the years i been going there! i still suffer from MH probs (depression,anxiety etc) good luck with your daughter and her main probs anx hope it works for her this JUST MY personal experience though!

take care

there loads of different therapies so just keep trying ok! see what one works for your daughter sticks and clicks!-none did for me just might take time finding right one for her and her probs!

KLXxXx

I have AS i had CBT just after being officially diagnosed CAMHS put me in for it as had depression (still do) i didnt really get an option in it and feel put in for it too soon didnt feel i understood the therapy in my world very hard to grasp and get! confusing through could kinda see what they mean't trying reduce negative thinking into positive replaces old stuff with new! but dunt feel any therapies and tried really worked and had a lasting impact on me all the years i been going there! i still suffer from MH probs (depression,anxiety etc) good luck with your daughter and her main probs anx hope it works for her this JUST MY personal experience though!

take care

there loads of different therapies so just keep trying ok! see what one works for your daughter sticks and clicks!-none did for me just might take time finding right one for her and her probs!

KLXxXx

If you find a trained and experienced Hypnotherapy I feel that this could be a real possible therapy to try smily for your mental health problems, I personally feel it is again a personal experience but I absaloutly recommend it as its been amazing for our family, so I really would look into Hypnotherapy.

JsMumxxx

i am having cbt at the moment the last one is next week and although i have found it useful i foound that i knew most of it already i just needed some help applying what i already knew.

Connor also suffers from panic attacks and agrophobia and i have tried applying some of the help i have recieved to him and it doesn't seem to be helping him at all if anything it has made matters worse

i had CBT after official diagnosis AS at 14 years old feel i didnt have a 'voice ' in this decision making then as was young felt quite hurt and upset as knew i wasn't ready and didnt really help me as such as knew my mind set wasn't sety on right mode for it to work very negative outlook having AS and depression together obviously intensifies this situation! i'm sorting having that now though with transition and liason team qand really now working helps me 'pick' my mode up! XXKLXX

I recently finished a CBT course (the only NHS 'support' available for people with AS in North Yorkshire as far as I can tell - even then I felt it was more of a "Err, what can we offer this bloke? Hmm, dunno - let's just stick him on a CBT course" :shame:) and, personally, I didn't find that it offered much that I wasn't already doing. It could have been down to style of course (a 'guided self-help' series of workbooks) and even the woman who was seeing me every couple of weeks admitted that they weren't great and that, for people with AS, they were probably not going to be much use (there was an awful lot of emphasis on 'feelings' and being able to make decisions based on little more than 'gut instinct' - very 'esoteric' rather than 'mechanical').

Got four afternoons off work though so that was a plus. :thumbs:

If it works for other people then great - just didn't work for me :(

Hi Teresa

My daughter has been having CBT (supposedly)with CAMHS for 2 years with two different Psychologists and it has done absolutely nothing. I think it is a mixture of them not being very good and my daughter's negative mind & rigid thinking.

I also tried to do some on-line with her but she used to say "mum this really isn't helping" so I gave up.

I also asked her to consider Hypnotism but she freaked out!

One of them did show her some deep breathing exercises which she said helped a little.

x

Hi thanks for your replys

just letting you know T is doing mindfulness at the moment with CBT, also been given a cd to work with at home and

sheet's to fill in etc...something she said the other the day was, " I can run ring's around him I know more then he

does", I think He's not moving fast enough for her, he's not able to keep her attention, also he's focusing to long

on one thing. So she's shutting off so far into the sessions. I think it's because she can't see any progression

with what he's saying or doing.

Teresa x

Edited by Teresa

Hello,

Panic Attacks are really awful and medical help must be sought to get it under control and to find out what is causing it because, they can become very unmanageable and dangerous. Checking auditory too as it is not something thats easy to solve.

Mia

Up date, T is now learning to control her panic attacks' by listening to music and controlled breathing, CBT had to find

something that she enjoyed doing and music was it. The talking cds'' and filling in sheets they were giving her, made no

difference. So keeping fingers' crossed shes' been chilled out as late no college just been a few exams and shes'

managed well, I have set up a person who is to accompany her at break times' between exams and also they have

given her a room to rest. Its' made a huge difference no crowded noisy rooms waiting for your next exam i wish i had

asked for it sooner. Teresa :)