Dawn22

Thought i had a dx..and haven't

Hi all,

Have not been a member for long,but my 9yr old son has been assessed and we have been visiting a clinic where i live regularly to see a psychologist and talk with a nurse practitioner.We have had observations at home and at school and i had a long wait for a very detailed report.

I had an appointment with the nurse practitioner last week,and he told me that i HADN'T had a diagnosis..i must of looked really embarassed,as at the last meeting they said he fitted the criteria for aspergers and adhd..me being new to this and not knowing how this all worked,thought that that was th dx.Anyway he pretty much said he would be surprised given the report if he wasn't diagnosed as.I felt like a right plum though,as i really thought i had been given dx.

Basically,the group of people who do decide his and other cases will meet once a month and hopefully then we will get the dx.

I really just wanted to clarify as I have been saying on other posts on here that my son has as and adhd,and at the moment,that is not the case.I don't like misleading anyone,that was not my intention.

Can anyone tell me what happens next?I know that if he does have AS then we will no longer go to the same clinic,at the moment,i meet every 2/3 wks,and they talk with me about my son and are trying to help me come up with some strategies that work with his behaviour.My practioner used to be the adhd nurse there.He has suggested magic 123 as he thinks that may help my son..anyone know where i can get a video or dvd of it.

Thanks for reading,and to everyone that offers advice and support.

Dawn.x.

Hi all,

Have not been a member for long,but my 9yr old son has been assessed and we have been visiting a clinic where i live regularly to see a psychologist and talk with a nurse practitioner.We have had observations at home and at school and i had a long wait for a very detailed report.

I had an appointment with the nurse practitioner last week,and he told me that i HADN'T had a diagnosis..i must of looked really embarassed,as at the last meeting they said he fitted the criteria for aspergers and adhd..me being new to this and not knowing how this all worked,thought that that was th dx.Anyway he pretty much said he would be surprised given the report if he wasn't diagnosed as.I felt like a right plum though,as i really thought i had been given dx.

Basically,the group of people who do decide his and other cases will meet once a month and hopefully then we will get the dx.

I really just wanted to clarify as I have been saying on other posts on here that my son has as and adhd,and at the moment,that is not the case.I don't like misleading anyone,that was not my intention.

Can anyone tell me what happens next?I know that if he does have AS then we will no longer go to the same clinic,at the moment,i meet every 2/3 wks,and they talk with me about my son and are trying to help me come up with some strategies that work with his behaviour.My practioner used to be the adhd nurse there.He has suggested magic 123 as he thinks that may help my son..anyone know where i can get a video or dvd of it.

Dawn.x.

Hi.It can be a long process obtaining a dx so please don't panic.Nobody here is going to think worse of you if you thought you had a dx but haven't.It might be worth clarifying that your child is on the list for asssessment.Ask the nurse next time you see them .

I think BD mentioned magic 123 yesterday so I hope others have come across it. :) Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Oh my....you wouldn't believe how long it taken us to get an actual diagnosis for Cal.......and just like you, we went along, none the wiser, thinking after many appointments that the DX had been given already. So you are not alone!!

Dont worry.....im stuck with ever changing diagnosises...no wonder its always 'verbal and will write it down after the appointment'!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

Hi Dawn

I've just looked at my DSs assessment report, and it says 'he fits the criteria for a higher functioning ASD'. Like you, I took that to mean that was his dx. No-one has ever said that doesn't constitute a dx, and I've used it as proof of his disability for several things, including his DLA claim. So, I wouldn't worry about it - I feel you should still be able to access all the support services available. We have been referred to Speech and Language Therapy, Social Communication clinic, and Occupational Therapy (as well as more that I can't remember), and are just embarking on the process to hopefully get a statement, and again no-one has ever questioned the dx.

Hope that helps

Nicky >:D<<'>

Hi all,

Dawn.x.

Speak with the person who mentioned 1-2-3 magic to you. In a support group I go to, one of the parents (under a different LEA to mine) went to a training day about this. I don't know if it was run by an LEA professional or whether it was organised by outside agencies. I have heard good things about this system, but haven't used it.

When we got the final diagnoses by clinical psychologist, it came in the form of a 12 page report and it is not until the last paragraph that it gives the final verdict.

His new school had had the report for a few weeks when at a meeting they said something about getting a diagnosis. the SENCO was a bit embarrest when I pointed it out on the report. I cant say I really blame her, it was only one of several equally lengthy reports we had supplied the school with.

I only realised at my ;atest appt with the Paed that I've not had ANY reports from any of my appts so far! He kept asking what the EP thought about this and that, and I kept saying I don't know. He thenn read something from the last paed we saw (now retired), that was completely wrong! I said what's that he's written, and he let me have a (quick!0 read. I told him it was wrong, but he didn't seem to want to correct it.

This week's job is to chase up copies of written reports... Sigh... :blink:

No wonder you were confused. WIth so many people firing questions at you and so many suggestions flying around, anyone could lose track! :wacko:

>:D<<'> :)