lorryw

let down by "new service"

The new day service we have fought for during the past 5 years have let us down so badly it has taken a couple of days to recover from the trauma.

My lad is 23 with autism,severe learning difficulties, non verbal and occassional challenging behaviour. The day service centre itself has been delayed for almost 6 months, a variety of excuses. We have always felt that our lad had to get to know the staff in a safe enviroment before taking him out. However due to the length of time he has been at home without any service we were persuaded that this would be a "transition". None of the staff have any 'hands on 'autism experience.

Two members of staff arrived to take him out on Wednesday. It was pouring with rain and I pointed out that as they had arrived my son would expect to go out. I suggested they drive up the road, by some chips at the mighty Ms and come home. They decided to take him to a country walk they had taken him to the previous week.

I nipped into town and arrived home and played my telephone messages "just in case" All I could hear was my son screaming. I immediately rang in a state of panic. The carers answered and said they were unable to get him back into the car. I could hear him screaming in the background and they said he had stripped off and banged his head on the concrete and had smeared himself with animal droppings. They had called for backup and were waiting for help. I called again and nothing had changed. I then had a call to tell me he was on his way home and apparently the police had been involved having been called by Day Services. The police tried to take our son away until one of the carers explained.

He arrived home soaked to the skin, he had soiled himself (which is probably why he had been so distressed in the first place, having no loo in the Countryside) when he couldnt uand had a large bump on his head. The soiling has caused burns on the insides of his legs and he has difficulty walking but otherwise he seems okay, although he cant say how he feels.

I am so upset, I cry everytime I think of him screaming and without his clothes on.

The new day service we have fought for during the past 5 years have let us down so badly it has taken a couple of days to recover from the trauma.

My lad is 23 with autism,severe learning difficulties, non verbal and occassional challenging behaviour. The day service centre itself has been delayed for almost 6 months, a variety of excuses. We have always felt that our lad had to get to know the staff in a safe enviroment before taking him out. However due to the length of time he has been at home without any service we were persuaded that this would be a "transition". None of the staff have any 'hands on 'autism experience.

Two members of staff arrived to take him out on Wednesday. It was pouring with rain and I pointed out that as they had arrived my son would expect to go out. I suggested they drive up the road, by some chips at the mighty Ms and come home. They decided to take him to a country walk they had taken him to the previous week.

I nipped into town and arrived home and played my telephone messages "just in case" All I could hear was my son screaming. I immediately rang in a state of panic. The carers answered and said they were unable to get him back into the car. I could hear him screaming in the background and they said he had stripped off and banged his head on the concrete and had smeared himself with animal droppings. They had called for backup and were waiting for help. I called again and nothing had changed. I then had a call to tell me he was on his way home and apparently the police had been involved having been called by Day Services. The police tried to take our son away until one of the carers explained.

He arrived home soaked to the skin, he had soiled himself (which is probably why he had been so distressed in the first place, having no loo in the Countryside) when he couldnt uand had a large bump on his head. The soiling has caused burns on the insides of his legs and he has difficulty walking but otherwise he seems okay, although he cant say how he feels.

I am so upset, I cry everytime I think of him screaming and without his clothes on.

Oh my god, Lorry! :(>:D<<'> :tearful:

That is absolutely appalling!!

I've got to take my mum out now, but will posts again later, but just wanted you to know I feel so angry and upset for you all >:D<<'>

Bidx >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

OMG OMG OMG OMG :tearful: , lorry hope your o.k. hunni, you must be feeling dreadful and sick to the core.This is quite unbelievable and I can,t imagine how distressing it must have been too, everytime I think of your son I could cry too.Why on earth did,nt they take your advice??..........I,m sorry I,m truly lost for words on this.They have no autism training??..............I,m not sure where you go from here is this service provided via social services??............I,ve had experience with very challenging behaviour at the school where I help/work and do they use pecs with him??.........I,m rambling sorry just so shocked by what has happened.Hope you and your son calm down, and can recover from this , big hugs to you both >:D<<'>

OMG! this is awful.. where do they get the staff for this it's totally unacceptable..Do you have a social worker? Your poor son :o

I read your post this morning and have been thinking about it all day.

They hadn't got a clue had they.

Is this day service supposed to be autism friendly?

Are you going to send them a letter of complaint about what happened.

All parents need to trust their instincts and refuse anything they think is ill advised. That is in no way meant to be judgemental on you. Because this is all with hindsight. But sometimes, we take the advice of professionals or people in authority and it all hits the fan, and when we think about it we knew that that was going to happen. But too often we are accused of being over protective or trying to keep control. Parents need to be listened to. We know more about our children and what they can/cannot do than any professional.

This could potentially have a detrimental effect on your son, and who could blame him if he refused to leave the house. And obviously you aren't going to feel safe trusting anyone to take your son out.

I don't have any idea about the type of service this was or who organises it, and what training the staff have. But I think before anything similar is attempted again, I think there needs to be experienced staff and training and graduated outings when everyone feels confident with eachother and everyone can communicate with eachother. Can your son use visuals if he cannot talk?

I really feel for you. You've waited so long for this service and it has been totally inadequate. I would put in a really strong complaint about this. Are Social Services involved. Could he have a Social Worker appointed to him that takes him on outings rather than someone paid the minimum wage to pass the time of day.

How is your son now?

I just completely burst into tears reading this post. How completely awful for you. I just wanted to say I am very sorry that this has happened and I hope you can get to the bottom of it. Hopefully someone will be held accountable for the mishandling of this situation. I can't believe that they sent along people with no autism training!

Lorry, what a nightmare for both of you. I'm really sorry.

And what really annoys me is that now your son will be labelled 'difficult' because the carers were ****ing clueless. Why don't these people listen to us? I know a service locally where they just withdraw and say you're not suitable. Fingers crossed they have a decent manager.

Take care

Lorry, it is absolutely dire, what a bunch of w*****s, doesnt give you any faith at all, head up girl, x

God, Lorry, my heart goes out to you and your son......

The carers, who I'm sure did set out with the intent of causing your son distress, should have listened to you.

You must be feeling so let down.....I'm so sorry.

When you're feeling up to it, I would definitely recommend that you file a complaint with regards to this shambles.

This link might prove useful....

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Managingyourorgani...rocedure/DH_377

and here is a link to The Local Authority Social Services and National Health Service Complaints (England) Regulations 2009

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2009/uksi_20090309_en_1

My thoughts are with you, I hope your son is feeling okay now (or better, I can't think how to phrase that.)

Take care, >:D<<'>

Esther x

Thank you all so much for your support and kind messages.

I am now very angry and preparing all the details to send to the local Government Ombudsman (thanks Esther). We have already been through the LA complaints system and they appear to be totally toothless.

Loraine xx

Hi Bid,

I feel a lot better today, just very, very angry now. I think SS are having an adult protection meeting today (without our input!) so will probably hear later today what the outcome is.

Loraine

Lorry, so very sorry to hear of your son's and your own distress. You've been through so much to try and get support for him, it's just not fair. :tearful:

~ Mel ~

The carers, who I'm sure did set out with the intent of causing your son distress, should have listened to you.

OOPS, I meant to say didN'T!! :wub:

Hope you're complaint gets heard through the ombudsman, I just can't believe how badly the service have handled the whole thing...

Chin up, hon. Hope you guys are doing okay today,

Esther x