Tally

Applying for a Job

I am just filling in an application form for a part time job in a dry cleaners. It's not really what I want, but it's all I can find. On the plus side, it's a convenient location and the hours are perfect - no weekends!!!

Well anyway, there is a question something along the lines of, "do you have a disability which may affect your application?" It doesn't say anything about whether it might affect your performance in the job, or whether you might need and special adjustments . . . Am I taking it too literally, or is it only asking about the application process???

I don't think my Asperger's should affect my ability to do the job. I have worked on a deli counter before and can cope OK with customer contact since it is quite easy to know what to say. It's when customers want to chat that I find more difficult, but I seem to manage OK. It's more of a difficulty getting on with colleagues, but I don't want to tell them I might be difficult to work with.

They also want TWO personal references, in addition to your most recent employer. I have one who is a friend of my parents, but I don't really have a second one.

Edited by Tally

I think it probably should be taken in a broader sense, i.e. your ability to do the job.

I'm job hunting at the moment so I sympathise. I hate filling in application forms.

K x

Well, I don't think it should affect my ability to do the job. Whenever I've been in there, they don't have someone actually manning the counter, they are out the back (presumably cleaning things) and come when they hear someone come in, so it's not like I'd be stuck on the counter for long periods. The things I will find hard are when a customer wants to chat, but hopefully I can bungle my way through that. The thing I will struggle most with is befriending my colleagues, but it being a small shop with only a small team of staff will make that easier.

So fingers crossed everyone please!

Over time you'll no doubt come up with a list of 'stock phrases' that you can come out with for when it comes to dealing with the 'chatty public': "Lovely weather", "Up to anything at the weekend?" etc. :whistle:

As for the personal references, could you ask someone where you used to work at? Just because you worked together doesn't mean that they can't give you a reference. Just a thought.

Good luck :thumbs:

Now I know my hours I can look for a voluntary job with cats :)

That sounds wonderful- I'd love to do that!

Well done on getting the job and good luck!

NAS employment services are helping me support by improving my weak social skills etc that i need to work and with colleagues i think good positive step forward to my future make feel more safe secure i been told that i'd be better off working part time basis and do voulntary work too to make up weeks routine timetable in the end results? i also going to social communication groups with 6 AS boys to help work on this too and help build on my self-confidence/esteem and try cope with anxiety and depression so doesn't become problem in work place as much doesn't show that have to take sick time off as so mentally unwell! i want try avoid that situation if i can and stay balanced and healthy! i scared and afraid everywhere feels liike 'big jump' into reality which know i have face sometime yet still makes me anxious fear etc to feel can i cope and manage with everything properly? has anyone got any tips? i been told if work full time and not chose part time work my DLA middle rate benefit will be cut down or maybe stopped? but trying to work mainstream as possible though! my NAS employment worker wants get know me and my AS how affects me in everyday life! before we start planning for targets and goals into the world of work going to break it down so don't rush and take it slow in my time! so i don't freak completely out that is! do you think my anxiety and depression will be sticky point in employment at all? can anyone relate to my personal situation? or been though this ? or feel how i do? or had NAS E.S? i want give this a go but is this step too far? i am expecting too much too soon? pushing myself too hard?

i just left college after 3 years there leaving that routine is weird and strange even though predicted change in my life still hard and difficult to accept! my tutor who known still been there and know her son so supportive and understanding towards me ,AS and MH probs i had there! faced whatever i put her though together never left me! keep calm gave advice when needed reassurance guidance emotional support! like college mum!

my worker setting up weekly timetable and strructure to get me by without college now being there in my life and plans and research employment opportunties and more work experience or upping my volunteer work i already do on fridays to more days a week or change in setting and subject in profession/career path! it horrible time anyways waiting for jobs to arrive with society /climate the way it is at the moment the recession hard to keep hopes/spirits up without blowing chances dreams etc to nothing!

i getting sick and tired of doing voluntary work reward keeping busy actove knowing work place colleagues work and how work structure routine goes but frustrating annoying feels like being used even though practice within community and reference while waiting for something to come my way! hope does soon! becoming inpatient! know i can't be fussy! ill just keep volunteering until something else paid permanent comes along!

do you think good plan in place to help this happen become true and real? scared and worried in won't though! maybe anxious and paranoid thinking!

getting depressed lost confused! arggg ,grrr going crazy not having anything!im isolated apart from normal routine of fridays that why i decided to keep that in place for along as possible as this help me keep my feet on the ground! this so important to me!

XKLX

I don't know what all the chemicals are called, but I have been in there as a customer as a few times and the other day I was there for about 15 minutes talking to the manager and didn't find the smells a problem at all. So I think I will be OK with the smell.