Paula

One week to go

cant beleive its finally here.

My son leaves school next wednesday.............hes on a school trip this weekend a pgl thing then basically hes 3 days left and thats it.............going to be a big big change no more special school no more bus picking him up...........hes due to start college in september but ive a fealing hell be that settled at home in the next 12 weeks he wont want to go..........

cant beleive its finally here.

My son leaves school next wednesday.............hes on a school trip this weekend a pgl thing then basically hes 3 days left and thats it.............going to be a big big change no more special school no more bus picking him up...........hes due to start college in september but ive a fealing hell be that settled at home in the next 12 weeks he wont want to go..........

Hi Paula

I feel so sad for him,that is a big change when he has been there for so long,I suspect it wont be easy for you either as he tries to adjust/adapt to a new routine etc. Is there any way he can maybe do something in the area/community to keep himself busy? Maybe same hours as college so he can get used to those hours.At least 1-2 hours a day just getting out the house.

It's a difficult time, isn't it Paula. Jay left school the week before last and it's really hard. He's so depressed and I can't do a thing with him. I can't imagine another 11 weeks of this, I used to fret about what I'd do with him for six weeks, 12 is awful. It used to be so much easier when he was little, we'd have lots to do and I'd take him here and there but now Jay doesn't want to do a thing and he has no-one to see, it's just me and him, we'll be stir crazy by this time next week! :tearful:

~ Mel ~

It's a difficult time, isn't it Paula. Jay left school the week before last and it's really hard. He's so depressed and I can't do a thing with him. I can't imagine another 11 weeks of this, I used to fret about what I'd do with him for six weeks, 12 is awful. It used to be so much easier when he was little, we'd have lots to do and I'd take him here and there but now Jay doesn't want to do a thing and he has no-one to see, it's just me and him, we'll be stir crazy by this time next week! :tearful:

~ Mel ~

So sorry mel to hear that its going to be a long gap in the holidays, is this site any help.

http://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/wps/portal/p...sabilities+home

http://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/wps/portal/p...Support+Scheme/

JsMumxx

Edited by JsMum

There used to be a summer youth club that i attended run by my local Mencap society.

In Bristol the NAS adult social groups (all but one) carry on through the summer holidays.

Nope, he's either too old or not eligible for any of that. It's us on our own and that's it.

~ Mel ~

Hes 16, thats not too old for a youth club, those are for adolescents up to the age of 25!

Hes 16, thats not too old for a youth club, those are for adolescents up to the age of 25!

I was answering JsMum's post.

~ Mel ~

I was answering JsMum's post.

~ Mel ~

Unfortunately i couldn't tell that as you hadn't quoted her. Also Jsmum doesn't state how old her son is.

Wont be far behind you all. J`s school has post 16 tho so hoping he will be selcted for that, thats if I can get him there, this week he worked out the door code and ran off from schooll!!! and got off the mini bus twice, after a pretty uneventful few months he seems to be hitting a "rough patch" again.....

Sorry its taken so long to respond my laptop has been broken sent it to get repaired had it one day and it went pear shaped againe now finally sorted.

My son is now at home he actually ended up leaving school two days before he should have done.The teacher had to call me saying he was that distressed when hed to geton the school bus to go home that maybe iot wasnt a good idea that he compleated his final week and we should let him leave earlier.

I put it to my son ......... you know im fed up with refearing to him as my son...........his names Ivan........anyway i told Ivan that his teacher had phoned and he was that secial that if he wanted he didnt have to go back to school againe if he thought it would help......Ivan said he didnt want to return it was too distressing seeing freinds and then leaving...........

hes doing ok.Weve got a dog had it 6 weeks a rescue dog hes 1 today his names Bramley and hes a cross breed.Weve been wanting a dog for ages so it seamed a good time to get one so Ivan had something to focus on other than his xbox during the three months between now and september when he starts college.Were getting a routine going a new one and its kinda nice to have company through the day im normally alone in the house whilst my husband is at work.

Hi! Same here as you Paula, 16 year old ds, possibly going to college in September but who knows ?( no funding) Probably won't go anyway after such a long break. We rate the school holidays as being good if we manage to get through them without any of the emergency services having to come here! Have Social Services or Crossroads got anything on offer? What are your sons interests?

good luck with the summer, I know my 16yr old NT is struggling to fill her time, can't imagine how it is for you

Could she be playing with her younger siblings so you could get some housework/time to yourself?

thanks Trekster, she does a lot of that already and also amuses them when I go to work (and gets paid) but she has few friends locally to her and seems to have welded her rear to the sofa the majority of the time she isn't helping out :D

We have summer uni called Go for It here arranged by the youth service at the council - activities from 5 years to about 25 years. We are signing up.

The college my son is attending from septemeber were supposed to be running a summer school for two weeks so that the special needs kids could go and settle in a bit before they started but unfortunalty funds have been pulled by the powers that be so this is no longer going ahead.

hes not doing too bad at moment finding a routine and not getting on my nerves too much.

hes got his needs assesment at the college this thursday.

The college my son is attending from September were supposed to be running a summer school for two weeks so that the special needs kids could go and settle in a bit before they started but unfortunately funds have been pulled by the powers that be so this is no longer going ahead.

hes not doing too bad at moment finding a routine and not getting on my nerves too much.

hes got his needs assessment at the college this Thursday.

good luck with that, MENCAP ran summer clubs in my area but some of the staff had the "you have aspergers you dont belong here" type attitude.