Sign in to follow this  
LS2242

What supports to ask for

Our son really finding change difficult at the moment at school. What with school trips that he has to dress up for (he will not dress up, no matter what anyone says) walks, harvest festivals .... The thing is the school don't support him in the transition for outings at all and no amount of me talking to them telling them has been of any use. We have a meeting this Thursday with EP, CP, behaviour support and the head. The CP at CAMHs has assessed our don over 2 yrs and said he will back us 100%. I am sure they will come up with some ideas to support him in this but it would be good to have an insight into what they could do. Visual time tables won't make any difference as there is morevyo it than routine. He needs to be taught to be more flexible and that a,b & c normally is the school day but sometimes d & e get added into the equation.

Any ideas of support I could ask for should they not suggest it.

Just to add I emailed head about the school trip etc..as per our agreement to let her know of issues her reply was oh dear. Maybe we should not do anything then. Er excuse me but where is the support in that..

The CP had told me to leave the talking to him. He had got a few words he wants to have with them first about there pure lack of support for our son within school. Also he believes son should have a statement but school disagree. Again he is going to approach this.

A "social story" type booklet can be made to prepare a child for a trip (eg: with photos and explanations of what will happen when). Adaptations can be made to trips as necessary (eg: if he does not like to dress up, let him wear uniform and give him a job eg: photographer). A TA can regularly talk him through the weekly schedule in advance, and explain what will be happening. If a visual timetable is used, they can use a "Ooops" sign to show something is different.

If the stress of the unexpected is reduced by preparation, then he will learn that change does happen and that it can be OK.

Is your son on school action or school action plus? Does he recieve any IEPs?

As for stratagies to cope with change we have used calenders, sequence cards, and mapping stratagies such as mind maps or spider maps.

I just found this on coping with change.

Not particularly ASD spercific but might help.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781843109600/Helping-Children-to-Cope-with-Change-Stress-and-Anxiety?utm_medium=Kelkoo&utm_campaign=KelkooUk&utm_source=UK&utm_content=Helping-Children-to-Cope-with-Change-Stress-and-Anxiety

I will post more once I understand his support at present.

JsMumx

Edited by JsMum

Thanks. He was put on SA+ just before end of term but no IEP done as yet. I had to ask for him to go on this and it was only when she sought advice she finally agreed if that is what I wanted. Like I said then and say it now - it is nor about me and what I want or don't want it is about my son and getting him the supports that not only that I think he needs but the CP does too. We tried social stories at CAMHs and he just doesn't understand them. With more practises though I am sure he will, if given the support.

I have had to ask the school if he could go in normal clothes - answer no. The problem with uniform is that he knows he will stand out...

You've ruled out visual timetables. But the truth is that every school that works with ASD children uses them because they work.

When a child is in a more structured environment and they can see the visual timetable it reduces their anxiety. Then they are taught how to put the timetable together themselves and are also taught how to use 'change' or 'surprise' icons and put them into the timetable, or to include a 'dinnertime club icon' into the timetable.

Using these things he will slowly become more able to cope with change.

I thought a visual time table was a list of things happening for the day / week. I didnt realise u have icons too. I am willing for them to try whatever they suggest. Just wanted an insight as to what they might offer. I am very nervous about this meeting as I feel this is make or break in far as him staying at this school.

Sorry just to add. I can see how visual timetables would help with the routine and change of routine in school. My son is bright and he knows the dreaded school trip is in x number of weeks. Just makes the countdown even more stressful for him and us. There is in my view something else that is causing him to not want to do things - but I don't know what. He is not doing this to try and manipulate me that I am certain of. It is all to do with change but not because he doesn't know when it is happening. Hope that makes sense

I'm sure they would let you spend some time in the classroom with your son for you to see how they are structuring his learning and his day.

I don't know anything about this school.

My son started at the local mainstream primary. And after input from the Autism Outreach Teacher they tried to implement more structure/routine and a visual timetable, but they were inconsistent in how they did everything. That just ended up making my son more anxious.

It was only when he moved to another mainstream enhanced resource school that had expertise, experience and more funding for children with ASDs (along with mainstream children NT children) that he began to settle down more and be happier in himself.

They have not got it right all the time. I would say around 70%. It has meant I have had to be involved a fair amount along the way.

And although he is happier, my son still is not making progress - however we might be having a bit of a breakthrough with school at the moment as his new teacher wants to follow what I have been doing at home, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a while.

But the point is that most children with an ASD do respond well to structure and approaches that are tried and tested.

Is the autism advisory teacher involved. What does she say about his current school. What have they put in place so far. How are they using their delegated funding and are they using the full amount for your child.

At his former school my son was also excluded from certain school trips and overnight stays. If he had been at his present school then, they would have let him go and would have supported him because they have the know how and the staffing levels to do that. In his former school they were just too afraid that things would go wrong in the middle of the night. So I agreed and he did not stay overnight. But that demonstrated to me that that was not the right school for my son. Because children that have difficulty with change and need routine and structure and have problems with social interaction and communication actually need to get out and about more and start learning and practising those skills more - not less.

Go to the school and see what they are doing, see what problems they have, if any, and see how they are using their funding to meet his needs. If they do say they can no longer meet his needs then at least you will know and they will have to produce a Statement and a placement that can meet his needs.

His current school may simply not be willing to go that extra mile. They should do, but if the will is not there they will not do it. Also consider how long it will take for the staff to be up to speed on ASDs in general and how it affects your son in particular.

To give you an idea of what can be done, why don't you go and visit a special school or autism unit or any mainstream school the LEA has that has extra funding/expertise for language and communciation difficulties or ASDs and ask to see how the learning would be structured and how the pupil would learn to work independently and ask them how they would support a child on school outings etc.

Regarding dressing up etc. If he really will not do it there is no point pushing the point. Why don't they make him a narrator or something instead (if he could cope with that). If he cannot, then he should not be forced.

Edited by Sally44

Hi

Sorry I dont really remember if he has an IEP? If he has you can mention that helping to reduce his anxiety should somehow be included in it. I cant remember when the autism outreach was called in for Sam,but it was definatley after his dx and certianly the ed psych wouldnt even come in befre his dx,so I believe it was the same.We did however have behaviour support involved,the lady would come into the school(paid for out of the school budget)every monday and help with all the SN kids and those with other "problems" TBH she didnt do that much but she did work clsely with the LEA so she could liase with them and push for the ed psych and autism outreach to come into the school.

I have never had the problem of Sam not wanting to go on trips,my problem was that the school always thought/assumed he wouldnt cope therefore they always asked me to keep him at home.As Sally mentioned visual timetables are excellent and usually the first thing they suggest the school tries before you can even apply for a statement.

Some very good suggestions there Sally. I don't think the school would allow me to sit in on his class. I will see what the meeting tomorrow brings but after a conversation with his teacher the other day , I think he made it crystal clear what they think and how what supports they are doing. As an example just got him into the whole swimming lessons with school, then they throw in that they are wearing there nightware next week. As u can imagine son won't do it. Irbid not tight to wear your pj's in the water. Schools response- he can sit out. Hence where is the encouragement and support!

I think deep down I know the answer but want to give them the benefit of the doubt - but my patience is wearing thin.

No autism advisory teacher involved as I was told by EP it costs money!!!! As far as funding concerned as far as I am aware they are not doing anything extra in supporting him. I am hoping I can be more positive tomorrow after the meeting.

Another Q. Am I correct in saying once they do an IEP if they don't follow it, there is nothing I can do about it??? If the supports agreed but not done I want to be able to do something about it.

Sorry just to add. I can see how visual timetables would help with the routine and change of routine in school. My son is bright and he knows the dreaded school trip is in x number of weeks. Just makes the countdown even more stressful for him and us. There is in my view something else that is causing him to not want to do things - but I don't know what. He is not doing this to try and manipulate me that I am certain of. It is all to do with change but not because he doesn't know when it is happening. Hope that makes sense

It is all very well knowing when something is going to happen, but if it is something you are anxious about, knowing when it is going to happen is not going to help much (think how you feel when you know you have to go into hospital or to the dentists). Social stories/books give him all the information he needs about where/when/why/how/in what order things will happen. The more they know about something, the less scary it is (so if someone says to you: you need to be at the hospital at 8, go to ward 3B, see the nurse, bring clothes, slippers and money for the phone, etc - it all helps you feel less anxious). This is all nothing to do with being bright - all people feel anxious about the unknown - our children just find it even worse.

Put like this, the penny has finally dropped. I now can see clearly the reasoning behind it. I thought I had a good understanding of AS now, however think this shows I still have more to research. I will post how I get on tomorrow.

Thanks everyone

Some very good suggestions there Sally. I don't think the school would allow me to sit in on his class. I will see what the meeting tomorrow brings but after a conversation with his teacher the other day , I think he made it crystal clear what they think and how what supports they are doing. As an example just got him into the whole swimming lessons with school, then they throw in that they are wearing there nightware next week. As u can imagine son won't do it. Irbid not tight to wear your pj's in the water. Schools response- he can sit out. Hence where is the encouragement and support!

I think deep down I know the answer but want to give them the benefit of the doubt - but my patience is wearing thin.

No autism advisory teacher involved as I was told by EP it costs money!!!! As far as funding concerned as far as I am aware they are not doing anything extra in supporting him. I am hoping I can be more positive tomorrow after the meeting.

Another Q. Am I correct in saying once they do an IEP if they don't follow it, there is nothing I can do about it??? If the supports agreed but not done I want to be able to do something about it.

Phone the Autism Advisory Teacher and speak to them yourself. I was told my son had to have a diagnosis to see her and that was not true. Infact I didn't even know she existed until I met her at an NAS support group. But the school knew she was there, just didn't mention it or ask for her input.

In our area the AAT does not affect the schools budget. She has her own budget ie. her hours and she has to divide that between the children on her books. Don't expect miracles, because our AAT could only allocate a total of one days input per child per year! But it is better than nothing.

I am not suggesting that you sit in on the class all day, but my son's first school let me go in with him for a bit (around 30 mins in the morning or afternoon). They would show me how they were setting up his work area etc. They did try, but they really did not have a clue. For example school was told he needed a work station as a place where he could screen out alot of sensory distractions. And school decorated it with lots of pictures of pirates, spacecraft etc. Sweet of them. But it meant the work station was useless.

Regarding IEPs they should be SMART (ie. specific, measurable, achieveable, relevent and time limited). You can ask someone from the Parent Partnership to come with you to IEP and school meetings and ask them to ensure the targets are SMART. If the IEP is SMART you will know what will be done eg. it might say "the TA will carry out the SALT programme for 15 mins per day in 1:1 sessions held in a quiet environment and progress will be reviewed with the SALT termly. Targets will be achieved when xxxx achieves them consistently over 75%."

If targets are not met they should be recorded.

When you have had two IEPs you can ask for an assessment towards a Statement.

If he does not have the support in place funded via a Statement it is unlikely that a mainstream school will have the staffing provision to meet difficulties such as your son has about not conforming. So sitting out is actually good evidence that you can use that his needs are not being met.

You need to ask the school to tell you how he is currently supported. If he is not receiving all the delegated funding then the LEA will probably throw out any request for a Statement and simply say that "the school has not done all they could". So you need to make that clear to school that you want to know how he is funded in terms of hours and staffing support as you intend to request an assessment towards a Statement in the near future.

Regarding professional input such as EP or SALT. Every school has a budget. And obviously they have to use it as they feel is right. But sometimes that can mean the children that are disruptive are the ones that get the EP time and not the quieter or passive ones. But equally the school has to seek outside advice if the child is not making progress and they have to use their delegated funding if he needs supporting. School can usually apply for futher funding from the LEA on top of delegated funding. But in my experience if delegated funding is already being used it is usually better to request an assessment towards a Statement.

Good luck with the meeting.

My son also will not dress up for any reason. Simple and obvious solution to that one is that he doesn't have to! Its certainly a reasonable adjustment. My son just wears his normal uniform when everyone else is being a WW2 evacuee/Tudor servant/furutre career etc...

As to support on the actual trips, we have found that a lot of discussion and leaflets/internet research as to exactly where he will be going/what he will be doing, what it will look like, how long he will stay there etc etc etc all helps reduce anxiety about the trip. as for school support, well, he needs 1:1 on any trip out of school. My school is great and provides an ASD qualified LSA for him, but you could do it, or get a NAS buddy or something like that.