Sign in to follow this  
hev

does reading books help?

i am always seeing books advertised about autism and there seems so many of them it seems daunting knowing what to read,also does it help give a better understanding of things?,i want to read one in simple terms from a mum or childs point of view but i havent a clue where to start.mainly dealing with aspergers

Have you read 'Freaks, Geeks and Asperger's' by Luke Jackson.

Luke was 15 when he wrote the book. When my 15 year old read it, he said that he felt like Luke.............I thought it was a good book as well.

Asperger's Syndrome - A guide for parents and professionals by Dr Tony Attwood.

I know it's by a Dr but for me it's the best book out on Asperger's.

Annie

I know just how you feel, Hev >:D<<'>

The choice of books is bewildering :hypno:

Here's a confession...

In the 9 years since my son was diagnosed I've only really read Tony Attwood, Luke Jackson and the 'Curious Incident of the Dog...'!! :o

Before his dx I had read Lorna Wing's 'Autistic Spectrum', and thought 'she's talking about my son!'.

I think Attwood is so good and very easy to read. :thumbs:

I also think it's no bad thing to stick with something well-regarded like Attwood, otherwise you can just end up with your head in a spin, not knowing what to think!

Bid :wacko:

I read all the time, but without trying to fit whatever it is I'm reading to my son. That would be too exhausting.

Luke Jackson would be great.

Hev

Books written from a Mum's point of view tend to tell you just one person's story, or perspective - which is fine of course, but not perhaps as a starting point. But if you want to try one, you might be best chosing one that is British and recent.

You can't go wrong with the Tony Attwood book that Bid and Annie recommended - it is a great first book on Aspergers, I'm sure you'll find it really helpful and reassuring.

Im also into different books....dont know if it does help, but sometimes after I read some things are more clear...I get some answers to my (millions) of question.

But at the end of the day, we live autism, aspergers and adhd/add.

Sorry not a great help, just my opinion.

SylvX

Hi Hev,

Dito to the 'Asperger's Syndrome' by Tony Attwood and 'Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome' by Luke Jackson, they are both good introductions into AS. I found them both very good starting points and it was like reading about my son.

As for a book written from a mother's point of view, yes like Elanor said they are very personal and quite rightly one sided. One book I liked was 'Multicoloured Mayhem' by Jacqui Jackson ( Lukes mum). I read this before I found this site ( probably the best advice / support I've found so far) and found it really helpful, in not making me feel so alone. Although one point to mention, she writes about all her children, not just AS.

Just a note...do you belong to a library? because if you do, they can order books in from other libraries for you to read...and all free of charge!

Regards, tizz

I have read quite a lot of different books over the years, and they all have something to offer. The Tony Attwood book is the best one. I have also read the Ken Hall one (Aspergers, The Universe and ???). It was very easy to read, and quite funny.

I read ????Eating/peeling? an Artichoke a while ago, and although there was nothing new in it, it reminded me of some things that I had forgotten about.

Another good one if your child has meltdowns, is Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments by Myles and Southwick. It helped me to understand the Rage Cylce and how to intervene to prevent a meltdown.

Karen

oh I agree Karen - Aspergers & difficult moments is great - physical practical advice -actually talking through the different stages of meltdown is so helpful - it is the book I dip into the most when I need a reminder about coping.

I like books that are useful - there are so many books out there - but a lot of books give anecdotes - but reading about experiences is ok - a lot of us are a bit isolated & it can be a bit of a lifeline to hear that other folk are going through the same thing - vindication if you like - but not as useful as a book that lists different stages & comes up with practical solutions.

I would much rather use this site as my resource for advice as well as "anecdotes" - besides it is much more fluid & up to date here than a book can ever be & a book can't answer you back. A bit bizarre me saying this actually as I love books with a passion lol.

Carol

Have you read 'Freaks, Geeks and Asperger's' by Luke Jackson.

Luke was 15 when he wrote the book. When my 15 year old read it, he said that he felt like Luke.............I thought it was a good book as well.

Asperger's Syndrome - A guide for parents and professionals by Dr Tony Attwood.

I know it's by a Dr but for me it's the best book out on Asperger's.

Annie

he didn't write the book his mother did it for him.