A-S warrior

wisdom tooth trouble

since about 2007 my wisdom teeth have been nothing but trouble, last 2 days the one on the left side of the bottom row has been hurting. today its more severe, its really painful, like someones actully drilling into my gum. ive looked at it and i can see that the inside of my cheek has swollen up (near where the tooth is) and the gum has swollen up too. whenever i get this kind of pain antibiotics are usually required. i do get the sence the gum is infected. anyway thats for me to worry about, my question is, who else has had these kinds of problems and how many of you have had your wisdom teeth taken out?

that sounds like a adult tooth digging into your cheek, it was with me and that meant it hard for me to brush the teeth. They took my wisdom tooth out and i chicken out. It was an extra tooth that didnt need to be there. I would advise to book an appointment with your dentist urgently sounds like its getting infected.

Yes I've had this problem - 4 times with 4 wisdom teeth - I decided to get shot of 'em as I don't see the need for pain when it isn't necessary.

If you have an abscess (which it sounds like you might) dentists tend to want them to go before they start doing any work, so a course of antibiotics (or occasionally some dentists lance them to let the fluid out) and then an appointment for an extraction would be my course of action here.

You can clean it out yourself to a degree by rinsing your mouth with salt water (1 or 2 teaspoons in a mug of boiling water) it should be left to cool a bit (obviously) but it's better if it's still got some heat in it.

Edited by darkshine

It tastes really really bad - don't swallow any!!!

it tastes strangley famillar, reminds me of good times with the lady for some reason lol, the warmth had some slightly soothing effect, and the salt gives it a good clean, will do this until i get to a dentist (my couison is a dental nurse and im seeing her tomorrow) im half tempeted to stick a philps head on it and srew it out like a nail.

Edited by A-S warrior

If you do it 3 times a day that should be ok - I would recommend using the pain to motivate you to see the dentist :lol:

I hate the stage where screwdrivers and stuff look like a plausible idea for tooth removal - would be easier if it wasn't a wisdom tooth... they can cause problems with the roots as they can be pretty deep - definitely go for a pro for this.

I've known people do all sorts when they get desperate with tooth ache - the less extreme are sitting and letting a paracetamol melt on the tooth (never tried this cuz they taste gross), using something warm like a hot water bottle - although some people find cold helps (I don't), and at worst sitting outside and dribbling like a zombie, oh and I know someone who got a mate to knock him out :D

the thing is wisdom teeth are useless, i had a set of perfect teeth until i was 17 and then these 4 big clumsy teeth come in and cause trouble. they came in like mushrooms on a perfectly kept lawn.

You think that is bad - I have something called taurodontism which means the roots of teeth are much longer and rather than a back tooth taking 20 minutes to pull out at the dentists it takes 2 hours plus an extra surgery procedure to extract the root which left me with a hole between one of my nostrils and the root socket (now thankfully healed over with soft tissue).

I also have bruxism and my gums feel like they're constantly being soaked in acid and the only remedy is Sensodyne Pronamel - forget going to the dentists; it costs an arm and a leg unless you ask them to take them all out and strangely at only £40 a pop it's much cheaper than having anything else done which is quite opposite to the point of going to the dentist where they're meant to help people improve their dental health. I really don't get our country some times...

Edited by Mike_GX101

It sounds silly, but when I had infected wisdom teeth and it was driving me crazy, I sucked frozen peas until I got to the dentist. When I told the dentist he approved of the strategy.

Yes except sucking frozen peas might cause gangrene of the mouth, tongue, gums and throat which I'm pretty sure would be worse than having infected wisdom teeth!

Edited by Mike_GX101

I dunno, I've sucked frozen peas my whole life, and the dentist reckoned it was a reasonable thing to do. It's no cure all, but it's something to do if you're driven to distraction by the discomfort. My mum used to give me frozen peas and sunflower seeds in lieu of sweets. My kids are fond of frozen peas, too. When I consider it, I suppose it is mildly odd, but I don't think it's a habit we'll be kicking any time soon, :lol:

Yes except sucking frozen peas might cause gangrene of the mouth, tongue, gums and throat which I'm pretty sure would be worse than having infected wisdom teeth!

How can it cause gangrene? (not that I plan to ever suck frozen peas - just curious about this statement) unless you are joking - I barely ever can tell on here :)