Sa Skimrande

Why do Aspies threaten Suicide when highly stressed ?

i feel i often wander & drift around with depressive suicidal thoughts which arent easy to ride through the storm quite difficult to challenge and battle when so emotionally weak drained tired and battered & bruised!

when you feel dont belong anywhere normal n.t world nor quite the fully pledged autistic world somewhere in the middle not fitting anywhere really just in mid air floating around where doea this leave u mentally/emotionally and because dont fit in you cant assess proper real services for support out there neitger drives me mad crazy!

I agree with that, but not for the purposes of help, but for the purposes of understanding exactly where one is as AS is not the only half way house condition in my life, but I have KS too, of which the Native Americans call two spirit people for very good reason and I do agree with their understanding and my confusion is I can't decide to do anything easily, there is never one logical choice and if anyone understands this analogy; it is like I am looking in two different directions at the same time, with the AS it is through both NT and AS eyes and through the KS both male and female eyes and sometimes it is so confusing I get locked into what I call the phase locked loop, good for radio circuits but not good for me as it always becomes kind of negative where I cannot see any way out of it and yes I have tried to apply electrical theory to my PLL, it doesn't work, because we are not logical beings, but of logic circuits where I inhabit is indeterminate value, the glitch.

I agree with that, but not for the purposes of help, but for the purposes of understanding exactly where one is as AS is not the only half way house condition in my life, but I have KS too, of which the Native Americans call two spirit people for very good reason and I do agree with their understanding and my confusion is I can't decide to do anything easily, there is never one logical choice and if anyone understands this analogy; it is like I am looking in two different directions at the same time, with the AS it is through both NT and AS eyes and through the KS both male and female eyes and sometimes it is so confusing I get locked into what I call the phase locked loop, good for radio circuits but not good for me as it always becomes kind of negative where I cannot see any way out of it and yes I have tried to apply electrical theory to my PLL, it doesn't work, because we are not logical beings, but of logic circuits where I inhabit is indeterminate value, the glitch.

i agree you won't get anywhere close to the overall picture by trying to apply circuit theory or Nyquist Stability Criteria or logic or whatever, but the basic building block of the brain is the neuron,and from that we are built. Each neuron can have hundreds of inputs all of which determine when it will fire, multiply this by 150 billion, then add in network plasticity etc, I still find it useful to look at smaller subsets. If I can get my thoughts into a printable form I will start a new thread.

i think it can be simply too easy to judge and misinterupt or misconclude a situation especially one as damaging as this! If it left and igorned this could have life threatenin consequences! To turnin blind eye

Exactly, this is why I think being able to talk about it is so important. If you turn a blind eye it doesn't go away.

If people judge and misinterpret it, then it shows that they don't understand, and it is important to let them know that.

If people judge and misinterpret it, then it shows that they don't understand, and it is important to let them know that.

Great point. It when people have said to me "I don't know what you could have been thinking, when you were considering taking your own life" as if the issue is 100% with me. I feel well if you don't know please sit down and I will try and explain exactly why i was thinking that way and what the thoughts were. The truth is a lot of people don't like it being turned around in that way and I include GP's in my personal experience.

Hey guys, you've been very busy without me:)!...and there I was thinking no-ones got anything interesting to talk about...Not much I can really add to all that has been said and discussed already...but I'm glad we've touched upon this subject again, though its tough subject to talk about, its part of life and CANNOT and MUSTN'T be ignored...

Just to make clear it is not only 'ASpies' who feel at times that they cannot understand or deal with the complex rollercoaster of the emotionally charged LIFE, though, it makes it alot more challenging for them!...each one of us is battling the very same...there are so many componants to why we lose our way, from genetics, to our birth, to our upbringing, the extention of our environments...there is never an easy answer for anything...I agree totally that we need to be able to talk openly about this subject as our own thoughts, experiences, way of coping, de-stressing, will help others find their way who are contemplating or just thinking through their next steps...with that thought in mind we must also remember to be careful with our wording and the expression of our thoughts and experiences... for when one is in that dark, heavy and murky world, understanding even something very clear and can become a battle...as our minds become overly heavy, full, foggy, springing from one thought to another like a yoyo...being constantley bombarded with negative thoughts, our preception of what is real can be become severly clouded...( so i kinda understand were Suz,is coming from too)...Caution must always be applied...Remember we've all been there!...

I also agree with Skimrande in that there should be a room were those who are having trouble with suicidal thoughts etc should be able to talk to others openly, who can share with them the feelings they are having are very 'normal' for the situations they are in...and that there are ways of bringing oneself out of them with some structured support...this way those who feel distressed by this subject need 'NOT' enter...Life is not all roses, the dark side of our physche exists and should be acknowledged and ways have to be found to help bring out those who get stuck in that world...I have 2 neices both sisters, one, is 24 years old, the other is 18...both have a gene missing from their DNA, due to this they cannot deal with life and the every day situations they they are faced with...both have been through hell, my older neice was under section 3 for 2 whole years the younger one was placed at a children facility for about a year...they also have mild learning difficulties therefore are not eligable for counselling...they have recieved no other help..my younger niece has been re-admitted to a facility last month, under section 3 for at least 6 months... as she couldn't cope with her parents divorcing or adjusting to their new ways of life... seeing them go through this has taken a toll on my health as I tried everything to get them through life...The first time my older neice was taken in, I had been battling severe depression for years...On several occasion, I contemplated suicide but something inside always promted me to sleep on it...by the next morning my thoughts would subide and I'd wonder if I could of gone through with it...On a couple of occasions I was faced with that decision, having a bottle of pills in my hand, having them empty out on my palm I sat there...I went through every single negative excuse to pop those pills in my mouth but a silent voice deep inside wuldn't allow my hand to go upto my mouth, all it said was..."but I want to live"...for me suicide was a weak way out of my problems...i've never done anything the easy way anyway so I wasn't gonna take the easy route out of learning my lessons this time either:)p...the biggest kick up my backside was, being there first hand and seeing my niece go through a total mental breakdown...I couldn't even describe that time, even now 6/7 years on it still effects me... it really shook me up when I saw and spoke to the patients in those facilities and how they were almost all intelligent human beings who just lost the thread of life and couldn't cope anymore...left to deal with their issues without any real help...all the meds did was put them in a place were they couldn't harm themelves or anyone else...that in it self was enough for me to start counting my blessings however minute...It kick started my way back to living in the moment, living in gratitude...Out of a negative situation came a positive...

A part of me feels the guilt of not being able to help my neices...but I now realise I do what I can for them... and will carry on to be there for them as much as possible...there is no structured system that can be put in place to work with people who are finding things difficult...they need resources and emotional help and acknowledgement not a secure unit which locks them away from being a nuisance to the public...I've tried talking about the mental health issues Britain is facing on a number of different forums but the fear in people even mentioning the word Mental health' seems to shut doors in your face and yet 1 in 4 of us is facing or knows someone whose facing these issues on a daily basis...You know the old saying "IGNORANCE IS BLISS!"

Edited by karmadestiny

Away from the subject being dicussed skimrande, I see you have an interest in Native Americans, I was name 'brighteyes' by a very close American friend whose grandfather was a Blackfoot medicine man...I find their culture very rich and very spiritual...Do you have any family connections or are you just interested in the culture?

Away from the subject being dicussed skimrande, I see you have an interest in Native Americans, I was name 'brighteyes' by a very close American friend whose grandfather was a Blackfoot medicine man...I find their culture very rich and very spiritual...Do you have any family connections or are you just interested in the culture?

Not really as I am too far away from their culture, but when I have questions about anything, I consider and I aim my questions at those most likely to have an idea, like a recent question when I discovered the KS was where does KS fit into the great scheme of things, what was it's purpose in nature, was it a flook of nature, a mistake or was it designed. Of those I asked, they included Buddhists, Hindus, Native Americans and contemporary western witches, not you will notice the standard religious judeo-christian mob as from experience, they are just as confused and that is exemplified by the judeo-Christian desire to change via medication and surgery not accept their god's creation where other traditions know exactly whats what. I found it was not a fluke, but designed as nature itself produces it and more by way of;

http://www.galva108.org/aroundtheworld.html

But the Native Americans loved it and mentioned the two spirit people who often found roles as teachers and advisors in tribes as they looked both ways at the same time and were a bridge between male and female by being both and not at all, a different gender. One thing I have about me, is a natural ability to teach, it has been remarked upon by many including educational establishments where they even suggested I pursue teaching qualifications as not to waste such a natural talent, but I won't, because by the virtue of being qualified, one has been taught to teach, which could be one has accepted and reciprocated standard norms devised by others, which could mean one has thrown away their natural talent in favour of other people's methods which are not your own that which nature gave you to use.

Oh and another half way house, I am also bisexual, hence knowing of the above linked website, I am one of those that the gay movement suggests are people who won't decide, so they alienate although perhaps they don't mean to, but much of it is conditioning. I can't decide because I see equal beauty in both male and female and not one over the other, so I will not be forced to choose to suit any other's politics.

I guess for me personally it would be because I would have got bored of the cycle of stress and could only see one route to escape it.

Not really as I am too far away from their culture, but when I have questions about anything, I consider and I aim my questions at those most likely to have an idea, like a recent question when I discovered the KS was where does KS fit into the great scheme of things, what was it's purpose in nature, was it a flook of nature, a mistake or was it designed. Of those I asked, they included Buddhists, Hindus, Native Americans and contemporary western witches, not you will notice the standard religious judeo-christian mob as from experience, they are just as confused and that is exemplified by the judeo-Christian desire to change via medication and surgery not accept their god's creation where other traditions know exactly whats what. I found it was not a fluke, but designed as nature itself produces it and more by way of;

http://www.galva108....ndtheworld.html

But the Native Americans loved it and mentioned the two spirit people who often found roles as teachers and advisors in tribes as they looked both ways at the same time and were a bridge between male and female by being both and not at all, a different gender. One thing I have about me, is a natural ability to teach, it has been remarked upon by many including educational establishments where they even suggested I pursue teaching qualifications as not to waste such a natural talent, but I won't, because by the virtue of being qualified, one has been taught to teach, which could be one has accepted and reciprocated standard norms devised by others, which could mean one has thrown away their natural talent in favour of other people's methods which are not your own that which nature gave you to use.

Oh and another half way house, I am also bisexual, hence knowing of the above linked website, I am one of those that the gay movement suggests are people who won't decide, so they alienate although perhaps they don't mean to, but much of it is conditioning. I can't decide because I see equal beauty in both male and female and not one over the other, so I will not be forced to choose to suit any other's politics.

Skimrande, the human physiology is complex in its very nature...hence million of highly intelligent human beings (scientists) work day and night to crack the code of human potential at its highest and yet it still avades them...I've always found it hard to understand how we sometimes forget that and we put labels on those who are different or may live their lives in a different manner to the "norm"...I am niether here, niether there about sexual orientation...I sometimes wonder how I would react if one day my son walked in and said " Hi mum, this is my partner John!"...I feel for people who are caught up in that world and how they are seen by society...

But I am equally confused (no direspect to anyone out there whose gay) why it is that out of a single sex male couple, one chooses to dress like a female and acts more feminine than the other...or in a single sex female couple, one female dresses up as a male and acts more masculine...For isn't that the whole purpose of being in a gay relationship that you attracted to and want to be with someone of the same gender and not be with the opposite gender as you don't feel the physical chemistry with or around them?...I know as a Bi, you are attracted to both equally, thats a whole different kettle of fish;)...

By the way, think me ignorant but what do the abbreviations KS stand for?

Skimrande, the human physiology is complex in its very nature...hence million of highly intelligent human beings (scientists) work day and night to crack the code of human potential at its highest and yet it still avades them...I've always found it hard to understand how we sometimes forget that and we put labels on those who are different or may live their lives in a different manner to the "norm"...I am niether here, niether there about sexual orientation...I sometimes wonder how I would react if one day my son walked in and said " Hi mum, this is my partner John!"...I feel for people who are caught up in that world and how they are seen by society...

But I am equally confused (no direspect to anyone out there whose gay) why it is that out of a single sex male couple, one chooses to dress like a female and acts more feminine than the other...or in a single sex female couple, one female dresses up as a male and acts more masculine...For isn't that the whole purpose of being in a gay relationship that you attracted to and want to be with someone of the same gender and not be with the opposite gender as you don't feel the physical chemistry with or around them?...I know as a Bi, you are attracted to both equally, thats a whole different kettle of fish;)...

By the way, think me ignorant but what do the abbreviations KS stand for?

KS = Klinefelter's Syndrome, people with it have an extra sex chromosome and also referred to as XXY males, now there is a definitive test for that but again no cure and there appears to be a link to ASD where researchers are trying to discover the link if it is there and if so maybe ASD itself can be in future diagnosed via a blood test instead of the existing medics opinion in that are they awake that day and do they care.

I've known of a couple of couples where that hasn't been the case, where the two women were both quite masculine in their dress and behaviour and two men were both quite camp.

I've also know 2 mixed sex couples where the woman has been quite masculine, and another where the bloke was quite feminine in many ways (more so than his wife).

I think it comes down to personality, what type of person we are attracted to, what our preferences are and how as a couple people function in their relationship.

Just a brief alternative to stereotypes lol :D

In other words whatever takes your fancy? What harm is there in that. If its a bit this and that as long as everyone is happy then what is the problem. The people I have have some sympathy for would be the ones who say nothing takes their fancy yet they feel something is missing, that must be difficult.

I've known of a couple of couples where that hasn't been the case, where the two women were both quite masculine in their dress and behaviour and two men were both quite camp.

I've also know 2 mixed sex couples where the woman has been quite masculine, and another where the bloke was quite feminine in many ways (more so than his wife).

I think it comes down to personality, what type of person we are attracted to, what our preferences are and how as a couple people function in their relationship.

Just a brief alternative to stereotypes lol :D

Hmmmm.....It is the preference I'm trying to understand as I feel nature has already provided that gender difference so why would you want to copy that if you don't want the real thing?...but thank you for trying to make me understand darkshine....:)

In other words whatever takes your fancy? What harm is there in that. If its a bit this and that as long as everyone is happy then what is the problem. The people I have have some sympathy for would be the ones who say nothing takes their fancy yet they feel something is missing, that must be difficult.

Believe me it really doesn't bother me, I see people for who they are as human beings...I asked this question out of curiousity as I want to understand...what matters is that they are loving, caring, human beings...It may not be for me but like you said, each to their own...It is not for me to judge...:)

But just to make a point regarding the above ....

What we have in western society is a situation where women can dress like men, there is not one item of clothing that is sacrosanct for males only, women wear the lot, yet when males wear women's clothes they are weird, odd, deviant and whatever other disparaging term, tell me why that is ?

Men wear trousers and women wear trousers, now I understand where the fashion for wearing trousers came about as I off and on study the history of clothing. Women wear skirts but woe betide a man wearing a skirt unless he is Scots or can claim some celtic heritage, but it is not the same for trousers, why ?

Why can women wear everything a man can wear, but not the other way around ?

And there are men that also like delicate fabrics and lighter clothing why should they be discriminated against because of it by keeping those delicate fabrics for say a shirt only ? in a popular clothing store ever noticed the size of the mens wear department compared to the women's wear department, most of the time men's wear is stuffed away at the back somewhere and is filled with dour clothing all of the same type, where women's clothing is a visual feast of designs, fabrics, textures and colours.

In the Middle East men wear a combination set which is basically a long dress, the galabeyah, women wear something similar, it works in that climate and I have lived in the Middle East and where I have been not comfortable at all in the heat and humidity in Western Clothing one does look enviously at the natives, but it is what Western people must wear as ''going native'' is frowned upon big time yet it makes perfect sense but Western women out there can ditch the men's attire when it suits them and wear long skirts to suit the climate but men can't.

Trousers in Britain came with the Celtic expansion around about iron age Britain two thousand years ago, they suited the horseman and they are particularly good in cold climates as even the Romans when they occupied Britain those outside in the elements switched to native wear, that of trousers as Britain can be somewhat cold. Yet there is many an image from the past showing men wearing skirt type garments as well as trousers, so one can assume it was personal preference and perhaps weather dependent. But it is not all about the cold there is something else for it is a fact that every country touched by Ottoman rule trousers of a type (potur) became the done thing for both men and women, whereas every country that was not touched by the Ottomans still wear skirts of a type, the dhoti or Lungi of India, the sarung of South East Asia and Sri Lanka. In sub Saharan countries there is the khanga and the Chitenje, Kikoy, Lappa and Lamba. In Greece and the Balkans it is the Fustanella and of course the Arabic countries where it is the kaftan and the djellaba. But a Western man dare to wear a skirt without it being national dress of some kind the man is a degenerate or at the very best making a fashion statement the footballer for example with his batty wife, but the likes of him can get away with it.

So what clothing would you be referring to as women's clothing, bearing in mind women were all of men's clothing and no one bats an eyelid. If it is you are referring to the brazier, well it was designed by a man, hence women's rights and burning of it, but the Japanese have developed a male Brazier for a problem they now have with excessive fat and something else which estrogen in the water supply is creating for there just had to be a penalty for the weidespread use of the contraceptive pill didn't there.

As to feminine men, what is feminine and what is masculine, maybe the lines are becoming blurred or is it they always were blurred, but we chose not to see it particularly from the Victorian period onwards or at worst when rulers of religion started telling lies because the populace dared not disobey.

It's odd fact though many men who for whatever reason seek to be more masculine as a defence against homosexuality actually become more homosexual than many homosexuals as they delve into homo erotica believing it is masculine and there a defence against what they feel they must defend against, usually because they are scared of their own sexuality through societal conditioning.

Also a lot of the anti homosexual action in Muslim countries was actually created by the Colonial Europeans, yes the Victorian period again

Can you see the hypocrisy in society ?

But just to make a point regarding the above ....

What we have in western society is a situation where women can dress like men, there is not one item of clothing that is sacrosanct for males only, women wear the lot, yet when males wear women's clothes they are weird, odd, deviant and whatever other disparaging term, tell me why that is ?

Men wear trousers and women wear trousers, now I understand where the fashion for wearing trousers came about as I off and on study the history of clothing. Women wear skirts but woe betide a man wearing a skirt unless he is Scots or can claim some celtic heritage, but it is not the same for trousers, why ?

Why can women wear everything a man can wear, but not the other way around ?

And there are men that also like delicate fabrics and lighter clothing why should they be discriminated against because of it by keeping those delicate fabrics for say a shirt only ? in a popular clothing store ever noticed the size of the mens wear department compared to the women's wear department, most of the time men's wear is stuffed away at the back somewhere and is filled with dour clothing all of the same type, where women's clothing is a visual feast of designs, fabrics, textures and colours.

In the Middle East men wear a combination set which is basically a long dress, the galabeyah, women wear something similar, it works in that climate and I have lived in the Middle East and where I have been not comfortable at all in the heat and humidity in Western Clothing one does look enviously at the natives, but it is what Western people must wear as ''going native'' is frowned upon big time yet it makes perfect sense but Western women out there can ditch the men's attire when it suits them and wear long skirts to suit the climate but men can't.

Trousers in Britain came with the Celtic expansion around about iron age Britain two thousand years ago, they suited the horseman and they are particularly good in cold climates as even the Romans when they occupied Britain those outside in the elements switched to native wear, that of trousers as Britain can be somewhat cold. Yet there is many an image from the past showing men wearing skirt type garments as well as trousers, so one can assume it was personal preference and perhaps weather dependent. But it is not all about the cold there is something else for it is a fact that every country touched by Ottoman rule trousers of a type (potur) became the done thing for both men and women, whereas every country that was not touched by the Ottomans still wear skirts of a type, the dhoti or Lungi of India, the sarung of South East Asia and Sri Lanka. In sub Saharan countries there is the khanga and the Chitenje, Kikoy, Lappa and Lamba. In Greece and the Balkans it is the Fustanella and of course the Arabic countries where it is the kaftan and the djellaba. But a Western man dare to wear a skirt without it being national dress of some kind the man is a degenerate or at the very best making a fashion statement the footballer for example with his batty wife, but the likes of him can get away with it.

So what clothing would you be referring to as women's clothing, bearing in mind women were all of men's clothing and no one bats an eyelid. If it is you are referring to the brazier, well it was designed by a man, hence women's rights and burning of it, but the Japanese have developed a male Brazier for a problem they now have with excessive fat and something else which estrogen in the water supply is creating for there just had to be a penalty for the weidespread use of the contraceptive pill didn't there.

As to feminine men, what is feminine and what is masculine, maybe the lines are becoming blurred or is it they always were blurred, but we chose not to see it particularly from the Victorian period onwards or at worst when rulers of religion started telling lies because the populace dared not disobey.

It's odd fact though many men who for whatever reason seek to be more masculine as a defence against homosexuality actually become more homosexual than many homosexuals as they delve into homo erotica believing it is masculine and there a defence against what they feel they must defend against, usually because they are scared of their own sexuality through societal conditioning.

Also a lot of the anti homosexual action in Muslim countries was actually created by the Colonial Europeans, yes the Victorian period again

Can you see the hypocrisy in society ?

Skimrande, I in no way wanted to cause any offence to anyone...ignorance can only be removed by talking and wanting to understand the logic behind the paths people have chosen in their lives...isn't that what learning about eachother is all about...for we all interact on this world if we cannot try to understand anothers way than we remain secluded from the larger society...I sincerely opplogise if anything I have written has upset you, that was not my intention...I respect you as the person you are and I respect your chosen way of life... through this I have gained a history lesson in regards to clothing and feel in awe of your knowledge of the world...peace and blessings

To return to the original topic: as far as I've read it, it was Gary McKinnon's mother who said he'd commit suicide in case ... - no one mentioned that he'd threatened it himself.

Which would have been untypical behaviour for aspies, as far as I know (the threat as a "cry for help", not the attempt), because it implies that you have lots of Theory of Mind.

On the other hand, I wouldn't it call "suicide" if you take your life when facing the prospect to stay in an U.S. jail until the age of 110! The decision (and the responsibility) would have been elsewhere.

Skimrande, I in no way wanted to cause any offence to anyone...ignorance can only be removed by talking and wanting to understand the logic behind the paths people have chosen in their lives...isn't that what learning about eachother is all about...for we all interact on this world if we cannot try to understand anothers way than we remain secluded from the larger society...I sincerely opplogise if anything I have written has upset you, that was not my intention...I respect you as the person you are and I respect your chosen way of life... through this I have gained a history lesson in regards to clothing and feel in awe of your knowledge of the world...peace and blessings

Don't worry, you are not upsetting me, I largely know my own mind and am happy with what I am, but if my tone has come over as somewhat abrasive, don't worry it was not intended, it is just me when the mind is on fire, for I at times like to challenge other's minds for answers I don't yet have. My only regret is it has taken until my mid forties to understand what I am and with new knowledge I have again to try and find my place in the world, something I am not relishing as I have done this before and it wasn't easy the first time around.

History is important, because;

All that we are is the result of what we have thought, the mind is everything, therefore it stands what we think we become- Adapted from a quotation by a Hindu Prince called Gautama Siddharta the founder of Buddhism 563-483 BC

And I am not a Buddhist, I just find a lot of truth and good sense in buddhist teachings.

Edited by Sa Skimrande

Hmmmm.....It is the preference I'm trying to understand as I feel nature has already provided that gender difference so why would you want to copy that if you don't want the real thing?...but thank you for trying to make me understand darkshine.... :)

There's the issue of sexuality there too though - maybe a man likes effeminate guys because the 'traditional' sense of a couple works for him, he might like the format of a 'conventional' male/female relationship but only be physically attracted to men. If that is the case perhaps a more female acting partner would suit him.

There's more to this than sexuality though, there's personality, preference, ability, temperament, social enjoyment, interest etc etc etc.

One of the couples I mentioned, they work out because their skills are different - others may work because there's more similarity.

And also, don't people do that with friends too? Some people seek similar, like-minded people, and others seek different people (from themselves).

Just to return to the title of this thread - "Why do Aspies threaten Suicide when highly stressed" - is that actually the case - or is it used in certain cases in the hope that the law will take a more sympathetic line with some accused of a criminal act?

Many people suffer high stress/depression and threaten suicide in the NT world. I wonder if there are any figures to show that it's more prevalent amongst those on the spectrum?

Edited by indiscreet

I talk about it because otherwise I'll go insane because of the things in my head - and they don't go away fully and I figure sometimes its best to throw that stuff out there and look at it to understand why it remains an issue.