Sign in to follow this  
Tylers-mum

Diasability Bus Passes.

Hi all. Hope the holidays are fairing up well for you.

Been told from a friend that my son who's 6, is eligable for a free bus pass and I too b/c I'm his carer.

Does anyone know how I can get one of these, is it a long drawn out process. what documentation do I need and what rate of disability is required please?

Hoping someone can advise me and Thanks! :D

Edited by Tylers-mum

Concessions for disabled people

You may be eligible for a concessionary bus pass if you have received the following benefits for at least 12 months:

- higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement

Guess he isn't entitled to it afterall!! :(

I have got DLA for him for 3yrs now but he gets lower rate mobility and not higher rate!

Thanks lil_me for the link. :)

Edited by Tylers-mum

I don't think all councils are the same, my friends son is registered blind, he can only claim lower rate mobility but still gets a bus pass which provides half price travel, I'd say contact your local council , as I always say , 'Whats the worst the can say? NO

Edited by lil_me

Tylers mum,your son at least should be able to get it,regardless of the benefit or not.

I got my travel pass based on diagnosis' rather than benefit-it's for completely free travel,not reduced price/concessionary fare,but it might be worked out differently where you are.

The wait for a pass might take a long while,depending on area,and whether there is a backlog of applications or not.

You would be able to claim on the fares you have spent during waiting for the passes,if you keep the tickets safe,and then claim the money back with them.

hi tylers mum wasd just on the link from flutter if you look under the 7 disabilities it says in f about learning disabilities read this section it might apply to you or anyone else thanks for thelink flutter will save it in favs keep smilin luv karin xx :D:D:D:D:D:D

After reading this thread i looked into getting a bus pass for my son and possibly one for myself as his carer. I wrote to GMPTE (the main public transport office in Manchester)just under a fortnight ago, and briefly told them my son has full time statementing and that DLA/ Carers Allowance is received by us.

I received one form last week for my son and was told that free travel is not for carers (maybe different policies in different areas). All i had to do was write his name/ dob/ address and get a couple of passport pics done. Then yesterday i took it to our education authority because they have to confirm the details and that my son has a statement, they stamp the form and send it off.

I`ve just had a phone call from the lady we saw yesterday and she told me that my sons free travel pass has been approved and that it will be ready to pick up next week...result! :thumbs:

The fact we are on benefits had no part whatsoever in the decision, its all down to the statementing and the needs of the child.

HI

IN ROTHERHAM AND WONDERED IF ANY ONE KNOWS HOW I CAN APPLY FOR A FREE CARERS PASS.I HAVE A ASD BOY OF 4 SO HE DOESN'T HAVE TO PAY HOWEVER WE GET TWO BUSES TO SCHOOL EACH DAY SO IF THERE IS A FREE PASS I CAN GET WOULD HELP A GREAT DEAL.

LISA

:wub:

HI

IN ROTHERHAM AND WONDERED IF ANY ONE KNOWS HOW I CAN APPLY FOR A FREE CARERS PASS.I HAVE A ASD BOY OF 4 SO HE DOESN'T HAVE TO PAY HOWEVER WE GET TWO BUSES TO SCHOOL EACH DAY SO IF THERE IS A FREE PASS I CAN GET WOULD HELP A GREAT DEAL.

LISA

:wub:

Hi lisann.

The first step is to go to the bus station offices (where you'd buy and ordinary bus pass for example or get info on bus serves for your area) and ask then for a form to fill in for wat you are looking for. It gives you all the info on there of where to send it to and what documentation you need. HTH's.

We're in Edinburgh, and i got my free pass at the local library. All i had to take was my DLA award letter. I was getting high rate for care but hadn't yet been awarded mobility ( was waiting for decision on that as he had just turned 5) There are two passes one has a red number 1 in the bottom corner for the person with disability only to travel free or a red 2. which entitles me to travel free with him (or anyone who is with him).

I think i may have needed id and a couple of photos of Lewis. The pass lasts 3 years.

Seems like the policy is extremely different in different areas. I am yet to find out what the policy is in my area, been too busy over the holidays to look into it myself, but as soon as I do find out I will let you know

In wales they like you to be registered with social services, it's then automatic if you request one. Otherwise, you have to go to your local SS offices with your child to be assessed. Previously if you were 'disabled' there was no problem now they vet all applicants.

Not havin much luck with the bus pass thing!!! :angry::angry:

told by my local bus sation "don't know what you are talkin about" it's like banging your head agianst a brick wall.

Then went on to the LEA ha ha what a waste of time so far no one there has got a clue how I can get one

"Because C doesn't have a SS then he isn't able to get free transport and the passes I realy don't know love leave it with us"

Which I enterpit to mean see ya love no one can be bothered

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Any one in rotherham please help???????

Hi,

I'm in Doncaster and looked at the SYPTE website, I think it covers your area too. Their disabled bus pass allows you to travel for 40p so is of no use to us !! Typical, I can remember when it was 2p to go anywhere in South Yorks for kids.....

wac

I just had a look, there's no mention of a carer's pass, sorry !!

Edited by waccoe

I picked up my sons pass today, he now gets free bus/ tram and trains in the Greater Manchester area and it is valid for the next 3 years.

Good luck to everyone else trying to get similar help. :)