Sign in to follow this  
denise2

Mail on Sunday family with learning difficulties

This is not autism related, but I was so shocked I had to share it. The article tells of a family who had their children removed from them for adoption because they have learning difficulties. The mother has an iq of 60 and went to a special school but had been receiving support to look after the family while husband worked. Social services admit children were loved, fed, clean cared for and home was clean and tidy, but felt it was the best interests of the children for them to be adopted. Taking the children was against advice from health visitors and the disabilites team that supported the family. Social services appear to be trying to hush it up as it sounds like a funding issue.

The most shocking part was on page 25 where the mail on sunday stated "Government policy has encouraged local authorities to put children up for adoption rather than supporting parents with learning difficulties."

It's quite scary the way this Governement continues to punish children and adults with learning difficulties just for trying to lead a life. First closing the special schools and now this!! :angry:

Guest flutter

just read it myself

it is all wrong, there are so many kids with parents, who shouldnt be there, cos they are being abused, neglected, ect and yet they do this. Me thinks it was cos it was an easy situation to do.

hi denise2 read this in the mail through the week its a follow on story posted bout 2months ago bout this case it is so sad no wonder i never want social services into my home think id be better off struggling with my own kids it makes me shudder best of it was the judge was a woman i felt so sick when i read this her closing comments were im sure a family will come along in about 6months and adopt these 2 children (AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH) how awful for this mum and dad what must these people be going through what a sorry state of affairs this country has come to when it cant even support a mother with learning difficulties to help her look after her children but will take them away from people who love them to be looked after by strangers it makes my heart break and makes me want to weep luv karin xx :tearful::tearful::tearful::tearful::tearful::tearful::crying::crying::crying:

oh my god, big brother is getting bigger. what right have they to remove children from what is a loving home by the sounds of it. There are MANY 'normal' people

making real hashes of parenthood without a comment from anyone.

Lord above us :hypno:

Why do social services let some groups look after their children-such as parents who don't like their children and don't try their best for them,yet they will take children away from a supportive,nice environment because....the mother has learning difficulties.

It reminds me of Hitlers prejudice towards people with disabilities.

They cannot promote inclusion of disabled people,and take away from disabled people what is regarded as a right to non disabled people.

i've just read it.......a very,very sad story.

its disgraceful that the family courts are so secretive. everything is behind closed doors with the 'professionals know best' attitude

Yes, a "very, very, sad story."

When I last looked, this forum had 1, 122 members.

Do you think we might be able to do 'something'?

Hopefully, now that it has been made public the Mail on Sunday will be awash with letters from the 'concerned public.'

Obviously the mother has never received a 'diagnosis.' Having an IQ of 60 and attending a Special School was enough for Social Services to take away her kids.

So d'ya reckon that our children will fare any better? Will having a diagnosis enable them to keep their children?

Do you think that by the time our children are adults and maybe wanting children of their own, that things will have 'changed'?

How do you reckon this might happen??

I'm sorry if I sound 'harsh' (whatever) but my child (so I've been told) is 3-4 years behind his peers (global developmental delay). He doesn't seem to be catching up. So obviously, when I read the story...

I'll leave it there cos I feel a rant coming on.

:)

There is a movement in Essex who are fighting hard to have something done about this case and all of the other cases in Essex. Essex is a hot spot as my group are well aware. If any of you would like me to pass on your support to the person in charge of the fight going on in Essex I am more than willing to do so.

It may not be austim related but it is certianly MSBP and Fictitious Illness related and that should worry all of us.

Carole

Edited by carole

I haven't seen the full story but from what people have posted this is awful, I can't imagine what its like to have a child taken away from you and I would never want to, why can't they offer them support as they have already said the children are loved, fed, clean cared for and home was clean and tidy.

I hope they have the support needed to appeal against this decision properly

Carole, yes, please pass on my support or let me know how to do it myself. As you say Cherry, what will happen with our children? My son talks of getting married and having children. I don't know if this will happen but I'd like to think it could if that is the path he chooses.

Denise 2

Carole, please let me know how to add my support.

Having read the article Essex County Council are are working to their own agenda. The police are apparently investigating a number of claims from other families concerning misrepresentation of evidence in civil proceedings.

My own experiences of social services leaves me feeling as though Im dealing with a group of incompetent, make it up as we go along, never to be questioned idiots.

Its deeply distressing that social services apparently have so much unquestionable power yet when help is needed are unwilling to provide it.

Loraine

Carole,

I haven't read the article apart what was posted here, but I'll be more than pleased to add my support.

As others have said, it's frightening to think that the same thing could happen to our children in the future.

This kind of attitude by (anti)social services has to be stopped.

Just one mistake is one too many. It shouldn't happen.

Annie

Hi All,

The story is in the DailyMail again today on pages 8 & 9 and also there is a Daily Mail comment on page 12.

Although Essex CC is in the spotlight, I wonder how many other councils are doing the same to meet the Governments adoption targets. It is really frightening.

I have also just read that the Government are putting �70 million into better post adoption support - how many managers will that pay for!!!!!!!!

I feel quite sick and ashamed to be living in this country.

HelenL

Essex are under the spot light and I agree with Helen how many more Authorities should be? There are people in Essex who are making themselves heard and the bit about the Poilce investigating is down to this group of people who will not let this drop.

It's not just adoption as Debbie Story - who many of you will remember reading about - came from Essex and she herself was at risk and feared loosing her kids because of MSBP. Debbie herself had AS. She died while fighting her corner.

How many more? I will pass on your messages of support.

Carole

hi carole have followed this story and debbies from the begining am absolutely horrified by it all i will lend my support as the way i look at it although neither me or my husband have learning difficulties i would never like to imagine what it would be to have your children taken away by the (anti) social services please pass on my best wishes to the parents keep us informed keep smilin luv karin xx p.s. they are in my prayers xx :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

:( I agree with all you guys why are things like this happening in this day and age......is there any way this family can be re-united?Has the adoption already happened?It is so sad and tragic :tearful: .

hi all have posted on this article as there is a follow up story in the dailymail today its from the reporter who has written this story to say the obviously the mother and father are devastated at the news their children is to be adopted the mother was asked by her doctor if she wanted stronger anti-depressants she said no the father said they are going to move away from the area as the neighbourghs have not spoken to them since the children were taken into care this is such a terrible injustice to these 2 people the social services were set up to help people like this but instead it has betrayed the most vunerable people its supposed to protect the mother does not want to say goodbye to her little girl incase she thinks she has come to take her home it just fills me with so much anger and makes me want to weep why? why? why? luv karin xx

Has anyone seen the film 'i am sam' starring Sean Penn?

It's the one of the most powerful films I've ever seen, and it involves a father with autism and learning difficulties who has his daughter taken away...although he triumphs in the end.

I have been following these articles in the press too, and it's just appalling :ph34r::angry:

Bid :(