Sign in to follow this  
Lesley

Sensory issue

My AS 4 year old rugby tackles people to greet them.

He bruises if he kisses.

He can't stroke a cat, he has to lie on top of it.

My self dx hubby has gone through I don't know how many mops- he breaks them in 2

Breaks household appliances

Broke the loo trying to fix it

Over-threads screws trying to tighten too hard

The list could go on

Tonight we have no milk in the door of our fridge cos he pulled the shelf off

Does anyone else experience 'heavy-handedness' (is that a word?!)

Is it an aspie thing?

Lx

Edited by Lesley

I have an NT 4 year old who does all you've said all the time (apart from we have a dog not a cat) , major problem being he's 3ft 11 now and over 6 stone, so he hits you with some force when he runs at you to say hello, kisses tend to be headbuts with lips pouting,tickles hurt.

He's snapped all my fridge and cupboard locks, pulled the loo seat off, dismantles all sorts with shear force

Maybe its just a 4 year old thing, or even just a male thing :lol:

Edited by lil_me

i think that this is an aspie thing as both my son and husband are very heavy hanned to the point when they tickle me i have bruises and as for making\ fixing things it's easier for me to do them as thay tend to break them.

have lost count or the number of plates and cups that have been broken when being washed or put away

Covered in bruises, and my house is falling to bits, cracked window, blinds broken, furniture collapsing from being moved around by him, dismantled, wallpaper ripped, broken loo seat where he stood on it, chair swinging on 3 legs- 1 needs to be tightened up, 6 pairs of school trousers last year with holes in the knees- dont know how he does it!

It's a sheer lack of sensation on the part of the ASD child which leads to this kind of heavy handed hands on approach. My own son never walks he bounces or runs and that is because he gets little if any sensation from walking. He needs to bounce or run before he is aware of any movement. He also often wraps himself up tightly in his duvet. This is so he can feel his own contours. Where he begins and where he ends.

My eldest is my demolition man and breaks whatever he touches again it's down to a lack of sensation so he over screws or plonks himself down to heavily and breaks my chairs :wacko: I have lost count of the beds he has broken doing this. I have to say that he also has difficulty in controling his gross motor skills so maybe that has something to do with it as well?

Carole

Count us in as well

I've got 2 teenage boys and can always tell which one.........

is going in and out of the bathroom by whether the door is slammed up against the radiator.

is going in the kitchen cupboards, slamming again.

last used the kitchen taps, by the amount of water on the floor.

last had a shower, also by the amount of water on floor plus the amount of towels left on floor. I'm still trying to work out why he uses 1 large bath towel and 3 hand towels for 1 shower.

is coming down the stairs - carpet has just been taken up so it is even louder now.

is going in or out of the front door. 3 days ago the door knocker fell off :oops:

yep, it's Alex :D

Annie

Forgot to say. He also turns on his music - loud - then goes around to the corner .shop

Edited by annie

Yep, and us.

I'm still trying to work out why he uses 1 large bath towel and 3 hand towels for 1 shower

Annie, you're getting off light, aren't you? Admittedly our son doesn't like to shower very often but when he does there's a mountain of wet towels tossed on the floor - one to stand on plus one to cover that when it gets damp, a bath sheet around his bottom half, a bath sheet around his top half, a towel for his hair, a towel for wiping his eyes when in the shower and 3 0r 4 when he comes out.

Hi Tez,

:lol:

I forgot about the one to stand on. That one always has to be wrung out.

I've been trying to clean the bathroom since 11.30 this morning. Alex had just had a shower. He told me that he hadn't finished in there.

It's now 4.20pm. I've just looked in the bathroom, there's a pile of towels on the floor still and dirty clothes behind the door.

Alex has just made himself some toast and is walking about in his pants.

I give up............I'll do it in the morning before he gets up.

Annie

XX

hi all had a coughing fit when i read all your postings mine have broken a radiator off a wall broke a steel door handle broke a 3piece suite the couch was dipping in the middle not joking broke light bulbs jumping on beds with snooker cues broke beds you name it they have broken it oh and a gas fire that was hanging off the wall i call them the demolition twins my hubby said when they grow up they should work in construction with a big wrecking ball each suit them to the ground keep smilin luv karin xx :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: