Sign in to follow this  
mel

inapropriate behaviour

hi everyone,

i was called into my 5 year old's school the other day because he keeps rubbing himself 'down there' (to quote his teacher) i have noticed he does this a lot but it seems to me he does it when he is not fully occupied with something. he did it the other day in the supermarket and i took his hands, and told him that it was wrong to do this where people could see him. amid stares and glares i felt really embarressed and left without getting my shopping. does anyone have any ideas how i can stop him doing this.

Give him some form of 'worry beads' to play with instead of those he is currently using. Explain that while he may not think anything of doing it other people do. They find it odd and don't like it. Try and make a jokey thing of it. We had a similar thing with a girl at school and used a string of beads to great effect.

this is common in NTs too - men as we all know, are very attached to that bit of themselves and find it very comforting

be explicit about where it is OK to do it - bath, bedroom, etc. Com still has difficulty understanding the concept of privacy and private things at 13 and I've found he needs to know where is private and where isn't.

Zemanski

I have had the same problem with my dd, especially when she is in the major buggy, she shuffles down so she can rub herself against the crotch strap :o I think the trick is to keep their hands occupied elsewhere, with a toy or something to fiddle with instead of their bits! Fortunately she doesn't do it as often as she used to but it is very embarrassing!

D's always got his hand stuffed down his pants.

I try not to draw to much attention to what he is doing. I just put both of my hands up, quietly say hands, and he takes them out. His class teacher mentioned that he was doing this in class, and I bought him a soft squeezy ball, that he puts in his pocket, and he has stopped doing it at school. We talked about private places/public places, and what is ok/not ok and what could cause his classmates to tease him. He has taken all that on board quite well, but he is 8, and it's been a habbit since he was small, and he has only just recently tried to stop himself.

S

xxx

Edited by Sallya

it feels good to know im not the only one with that problem. i think the beads and squeezy ball are definately worth a try. thank you so much for the advice :D

My 5 year old also does it, sometimes I just ignore it, or others I say "leave your tinky alone, its for weeing". Don't know if thats the right thing to say, but its all I can think of. He always answers "I can't", but then stops anyway.

Jo

Hiya

C aged 4 also has always got his hands on his privates!!

Can't stop him doing it if you give him something to hold it normal ends up in his pants.

any ideas?????

Lisa

:wacko:

We have just stopped our 9 year old from doing this - he used to smell his fingers afterwards! :o - we used a squeezy ball to occupy his fingers.