Sign in to follow this  
sonia

Key satge 1 exams

My son is in year 2 and I am unsure what if any special arrangements he will be entitled to regards exams. has anyone had a positive outcome of their child with ASD sitting Sats?!

Sonia x

Hi,

Yes speak to the school, depending on his difficulties you could get extra time, breaks, a scribe, a quiet place to sit them etc. but the school need to apply for dispensation and back it up with evidence usually from an EP.

Hi fiorelli

Yes Year 2 do SATS around May-time. In our school the children never really know that they're doing them - they're just presented as part and parcel of a normal day.

As Tez says, the school can apply for a special dispensation for additional time, help, etc.

My son did them and fared very well without extra time or help. Things started to go downhill in Year 3 when the curriculum starts to broaden out .....!

If your child has a statement this should also be included in it, but it often only is put in for pupils in their GCSE years.

T has had a nightmare with SATS from the off, firstly he found losing his teacher for several weeks whilst she/he was involved in the sats, secondly the disruption to his routine was really difficult for him to handle.

Personally SATS I felt were a waste of time, T was aware of them and the pressure, started talking and stressing about revising etc ... since KS2 he has been disapplied.

HHxx

Martin didn't have any problems that I am aware of but like Jomica's school ours don't make SATs an issue they just get on with it with the only request that the kids don't take holidays in April and May over and above the usual.

Sadly, he's in year 5 now and things are getting tough :fight:. But hey ho!

Daisy

All I know about sats is that they have stopped sats for 7 year olds and only do then for 11 just before they enter secondary school. My son is 9 and never had any tests done and think they are still roughly still doing work on KS1 with him........ :unsure: i asked them before what books to get few mths ago and they just said keep to that one.

Sorry no advice..... :shame:

Take care

Amanda

IIRC there was no actual ban on SATS for Y2, it was the format which was criticised. I think it was decided that there was a need to continue testing in some way to ensure children's progress was monitored and recorded. Some schools opted to continue with SATS while others changed their system. I believe it's down to the LEA, if not the actual school, how they carry out Y2 testing.

I could be wrong of course, and happy to be enlightened by someone more knowledgeable.

Karen

x