Sign in to follow this  
Tylers-mum

School's anti bullying approach.

Friday is newsletter day at T's school. Today's one was about bullying b/c the Welsh Government is encouraging schools to be involved in promoting issues surrounding bullying.

This was printed on the back of the newsletter, my son's school's anti bullying approach (it's a mainstream school).

STOP BULLYING!!

If you are bullied you should:

1. Laugh at or ignore comments or teasing.

2. Tell them to "buzz off", shout "No" or "go away".

3. If a group is bothering you look for the weakest and say "This is not funny" and then walk away.

4. If all the above fail, then seek help - TELL, a teacher or dinner lady who will always listen to you.

5. REMEMBER: Never hit or call names back.

I honestly CANNOT believe they have sent this out to parents!! My sister was gobsmacked as much as I am and her kids don't attend this school!!

I'll be having a harse word with the Head (whom I dislike anyway, mind you, I think he dislikes me too! LOL) first thing Monday morning!! :angry:

Edited by Tylers-mum

Send it to your local rag they will love this. Infact send it to the Nationals I would have money on it that they would print it.

It's just as well it's not April the first because otherwise I would certainly believe that this was a joke. As it is this is just not funny and personally I think that it does need exposing.

Carole

I think that your best bet would probably be the Sun and the Mirror. Then again they should all be interested because it is so shocking that a school actually sent this out. The Mail love this sort of stuff and the Observer would take it seriously to.

I do have the addy's for all of the papers but it would have to be tomorrow as hubby and eldest son are both screaming in my ear TURN THE PC OFF CAROLE bless :wub: Do you think they miss me? No one of them will want the PC.

Just let me know if you need the addy's and I can pm you with them.

Carole

It depends on what sort of angle you want !

Personally, I'd pick the Guardian but you won't get the 'how ludicrous is this ?!!' factor that you get with the tabloids. Having said that, this so-called 'anti-bullying' policy is quite obviously ludicrous that a tabloid might get a bigger response. Middle England's Daily Mail readers might be outraged :D

wac

Not sure about contacting them all, but nothing to lose...

If you want to go high-brow, then Carole's suggestion of The Obsever is good cos you'll make Sunday's edition maybe. (I'll look out for it whilst I'm struggling to hold up those huge pages whilst eating toast, not easy whilst you're being used as a launching pad for Buzz Lightyear !)

Another idea is that tuesday is 'education' day in the Guardian ??

Good luck, go tell !!!!

wac

Tylers-mum,

I can fully understand why you are so :angry: .

1. Laugh at or ignore comments or teasing.

(Mmm this will fuel the bullies and get you a bigger beating!).

2. Tell them to 'buzz off' shout 'No' or 'go away'.

(Bit of a contradiction to number one above, 'ignore'.

3. If a group is bothering you look for the weakest and say 'this is not funny' and

then walk away.

(Mmm the weakest may stop but, the others will carry on)!

4. If all the above fail, (which I'm sure they will) then seek help, TELL a teacher or

dinner lady who will always listen to you.

(Mmm if they will always listen to you, then why not scrap 1. 2. and 3. and go straight

to number 4.)

5. Remember never hit or call names back.

(Mmm just laugh, ignore, say 'buzz off' shout 'no' or 'go away', oh, and if all else

fails go and tell someone who is supposed to be keeping their eye on you all.)!

What a complete load of old tosh. :wacko:

Brook

Brook - Number 3 is also saying 'bully then back!' :angry:

Carole and waccoe - I have emailed it to the Guardian, the Mirror and the Sun. When I went onto the Guardian website, it said that they were the Observer too!! Shall I still email it to the Observer also???

It's their sister partner, I know they share the same website so perhaps you'll achieve a double whammy !!

I think Brook's post would be a useful addition if she has no objections ? Or perhaps invite the papers to work out why this is a load of old tosh by adding their own ideas on the consequences if children were to follow this 'policy'

wac

I really hope you get some response to this, but if you don't get any joy from the nationals, how about ringing your local paper, see if you can get the editor to make it the issue of their column ? I love to read the 'outraged' replies people send in to issues like this.

wac

OMG, didn't realise reporters worked through the night!! :o

Just had an email from a reporter of The Sun asking me to call him. He asked me the name of the school, what I thought of the anti bullying approach etc etc. I think he's going to use the story!!!

Have to buy The Sun everyday now to look out for it!! LOL

B****Y H**L ! , neither did I !!

I always imagine journos being plastered on a friday night,sprawled in a corner seat in a pub somewhere, no, hang on, that's teachers ! (well, the ones I know :lol::lol: )

Will look out for this ,

wac

now off to bed, before I'm slumped over the PC, other half is snoring so loudly on the settee I can't think straight ! Shall I wake him ? or leave him to wake up freezing cold and with a stiff neck in the early hours ? what do you think ? :devil:

Tylers-mum,

:thumbs::thumbs:

Well done for letting the papers know. The person who wrote the suggestions obviously hasn't got any idea what children are like.

Annie

XX

This is the sort of information I got told about bullying at school. One might have got away with it back in the deep dark depths of the 1980s but anyone who gives that advice today needs their brain examining. I was persistantly told by parents, teachers and other kids that those who get bullied often deserve it because they bring the problems on themselves and act as a magnet for attention.

I would send it to the papers. The Daily Mail would probably be the best choice.

Looks like you have been very busy since I was dragged away from the PC kicking and screaming. Yes Journos work during the night - well they do if they work on the daily papers.

Having had time to think I feel that much of what is said is actually condoning bullying and really asking the child that is being bullied to carry the load. It's a bit like us parents who are made to feel guilty when we fight for the correct provision for our children. It is very wrong to make a child that is being bullied feel guilty. I think child line would go green if they had a child ringing them up and telling them that this was their schools policy :sick:

Well-done Tyler?s Mum

Carole

Edited by carole

point no 3 is encouraging those bullied to turn into bullies themselves :o

good on you for naming and shaming......i hope it gets the coverage it deserves

have you also contacted the local paper?

Hi Tyler-Mum ;)

"You did well grass-hopper" B) Hope this will be publicised, it's outrageous the biggest non-sens is to give this to all the kids including the bully like that they know what to expect from the one they pick on to... :devil: I think the school head needs a brain scan!!!

May be you should send it as well to "Ministery of Education" with some note "for your information" as the antibulliyng policy seems to be so much on the agenda you probably would get some results. :fight:

Take care.

Malika.

Wow! I thought that maybe I read into it wrong but I guess not!! :hypno:

I haven't yet got a reply to my email this morning adding a few comments and asking when & if it'll be published but as the poor guy finished work at 2am, I'm guessing he had today off! LOL. Will hopefully get an email from him tomorrow or Monday and will let you know when you can all take a trip to your local newsagents!!! :dance:

Jools, I have tried contacting my local paper but no reporters are in until Monday 8am, so will call back then!! :D

PS - Thanks all for backing my concerns up!! :thumbs:

Jaded - Umm, what's PC mean????

Edited by Tylers-mum

A lot of schools seem to be going down the 'no blame' approach to bullying - offering counselling to both sides - Tony Attwood said that many of our special children, with their sense of justice, become disillusioned and depressed by this approach. :(

I made this clear at day one, if ever my child was bullied he wouldn't be returning to the school, and that is IT. NO amount of PC babbling would change my mind, I've zero tolerance to it, and if my son was the bully I would take exactly the same option. I don't allow schools to decide on this, I do. The message is clear enough I would have thought, and we should all do it. The schools haven't powers to stop this, but we do. If I am to be assured my son is safe when I send him to school, I expect that school to ensure he is, or I don't, send him there. I send my child to school for an education, not to be abused, by morons.