Twins

Is your AS child a twin?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is your AS child a twin?

• Twins - Both NT but sibling AS
    • Twins - One NT, One AS
    • Twins - Both AS
    • Not a Twin

I have twins. One Aspergers and one NT. My twins also have an AS sibling (they were IVF and all conceived at the same time, so technically they're really triplets but were born 3 years apart). I've noticed on this forum that there seems to be quite a lot of people with twins. It may be that my ears prick up at the mention of twins so it seems like there's more but I'm curious none the less to see if ASD is more prevelant in twins on this forum.

Lisa

My twins are 9 - male has AS, female is NT but sometimes shows traits. Other kids are all NT.

My mum feels Martin's AS became really noticeable when the twins were put in separate classes in school, up until then he had come to rely on his twin sister to organise them both. They spent a year apart and now back in the same class - needless to say she is organising again and he seems OK with that :)

Daisy

T was a Twin, but one disappeared early on - he has AS.

M and R are Twins - R was dx with aspects of Aspergers at age 10.

I know of three other sets of Twins locally where one of them has AS or autism.

Karen

my twins are now 11, son J has possible ASD and daughter is NT. my older son is 12 and has AS and ADD. J's problems are just now becoming more noticable to his school as he's just moved up to seniors and is split from his sister for the first time. Some how she managed to do all his work and her own for over 3 years and noone noticed, I mentioned that the handwriting looked the same and got fobbed off with "they're twins and being taught the same way so of course it's the same". It took til they were 7 and we moved area before any teachers would accept that J could hardly read or write :wallbash:

I'm Daisy's Son

Martin is AS and Ellie is NT (note i know the poll was for parents of aspies but i don't care)

Martin was recently dx and what a shock to me i am actually using this website to get more information.

By the thx to anyone whos helped me so far.

My dh works with someone who has twins that both have asd....non-identical (boy and girl).

I have identical twin boys, both ASD. I know of 2 other sets of twins locally, one set both asd and the other set one AS, one NT.

I think I read somewhere that twins are more likely to have ASD/AS than the general population and I have thought a lot about why this might be as it seems to be more than just the genetics of the situation. I had a very straightforward twin pregnancy. The only differences to when i was expecting my daughter was that I was scanned very frequently and advised to have an epidural which is standard for twin births. I definately believe that there IS a genetic element (hard not to in my sons' cases!) but I do wonder if either the scanning or epidural triggered something worse IYSWIM. (I do think too much sometimes though!)

Melinda

My asd son had a twin, miscarried at about 3,4 months.

Henry hd a twin too, also miscarried

There was an article in the New Scientist that talked about Twins and disability - there was an increased risk (due to being Twins in the womb), but I can't remember exactly what it said - when I find it I will let you know.

Karen

There is definately an increased risk of disability in twin pregnancies. It is considered high-risk due to the tendancy for twins to be born prematurely and the risk of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome both of which can lead to disabilities. This doesn't explain how ASD is more likely to occur in twins even when none of the above factors are present i.e. a healthy full term pregnancy.

Melinda