Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Obsessions anyone?

Lights - switching on and off when v young and then water and cleaning the bath - but not himself!

Handles and locks- at age 10 is v able at picking locks! Annoying when your in the toilet! Also we had to take handles off the doors as incessantly played with them from the minute could reach and at 10 will still spend hours examining one.

Batteries- taken out of everything. I buy cheap packs from the �1 shop as they rarely have chance to get used up. Can be a pain when trying to change channel

Setting up his computer and changing the settings

Anything robotic

Screwdrivers and taking things apart- has some uses fixed my cupbaord door the other day - but can be dangerous as took apart the electricity meter when we were in the kitchen one day!

Seems to be the only kid obsessed with things generally considered to be "inappropriate" for kids to be interested in.

This is so tragic...

But at the moment I'm actually getting a lot of comfort from lining up my dirty dishes and glasses, etc, by size as they wait to be washed up! :o:lol:

Bowls all have to be inside each other, too!

I think I may be taking refuge in this because I'm under huge amount of stress at the moment? :unsure:

Bid (AKA The Lipstick Aspie!! :ph34r::bat: )

Bid ---

Does 'colour-coordinating the washing' count? I don't mean before washing it, I mean hanging it up in spectrum order on the line...

L

could be joining you in that voyage of self-exploration, I think...

Anything robotic

Screwdrivers and taking things apart- has some uses fixed my cupbaord door the other day - but can be dangerous as took apart the electricity meter when we were in the kitchen one day!

I forgot these 2, oh my what chaos that can be if he looses a part of something

Videos - mostly on rewind

- Toy Story 1 and 2 (jumps and flaps for Buzz), Pingu, Winnie The Poo (this video has a flicker but he loves to watch it)

Watching the credits

Pouring: Sand, water, stones, buttons, pasta

Throwing in the air: All above plus balls

Currently there is an advert which has lots of coloured balls for a TV screen or something - he'll run from wherever he is in the house when it comes on.

He's only a wee chap so I guess I have lots of new ones to look forward to!

What do you mean.... could Adverts could be an obsession...

Daughter can tell you what they are going to be about in the first 3 seconds.....

Canopus sorry Im not being dense but do you think these are unusual obssesions for an asd child? I have always tried to see them as sensory issues not sure how the locks issue fits in but at dx it was thought significant. Please pm me re your views. Thanks

Just remembered other major obsession - leaflets ; going anywhere is a problem as wants to collect leaflets- supermarket by the time have got through inundated. we now try and be selective but hates me throwing away. Loves lists and will carbon copy one so if thrown away still has it. The battery hing I recall Luke Jackson having. Others do seem atypical. Any views?

Guest hallyscomet

Computers and programming.

I think we all are guilty of having an obsession with this website :devil::lol::lol::lol:

Hi,

Kai's obsessions are (and have been for years);

Trains,trains,trains,trains

Velma from scooby-doo

Exhausts on lorries (the sticking up ones)

Buses (new obsession)

Loulou x

My daughter since she was little:

Up to about 5yrs

Films/TV: Disney or muscials/Land before time and Jurassic Park (from around 3yrs), Tots TV

Toys: Dinosaurs and animals (at 2 she could name every dinosaur in all the books we had).

Reading: Enjoyed all stories read to her (except would memorise every word - so if you were tired and missed a sentence - it was a nightmare).

From around 5-7yrs

TV: Dexters Lab/Cramp Twins/Fairly odd parents/Rugrats, Pokemon and Digimon

Toys: Pokemon/Digimon/PS2/Gameboy and Computers.

Reading: All Horrid Henry books

Other: Egyptology

About 8-10yrs

TV: Sabrina/Keenan & Kel/Ed,Edd and Eddy/Spongebob

Toys: PS2/Gameboy/Gamecube/Xbox and Computers and anything spyware

Reading: Harry Potter and Goosebump Books and anything by Karen McCrombie

From 11 to now (12yrs)

TV: Simpsons/Futurama and Third rock from the Sun/Spongebob

Toys: PS2/DS/Gamecube/Xbox and Computers (games: The SIMS and seems to be any Japanese orientated game - current obsession with Phoenix Wright ace attourney and Animal Crossing)

Reading: Lemony Snickett and Steven King novels !!! (because they are so descriptive!!!) and any factual books especially history and religion.

Things obsessive about in another way (hates);

petrified of flies, blood and hospitals and any sort of buzzing/mumbling noises.

Edited by jb1964

H's obsessions are : Washing machines, Hoovers, lamps/lights, toilets :o , sinks, taps, water, showers, fires :o and catalogues to look at these things and he likes radiators and screwdrivers to go round all the screws in the house trying to unsrew them :rolleyes:

He's not interested in Tv, he does like the Wheels on the bus video and Baby Bright 2 but nothing else :rolleyes:

Madmooch

Over 18 years I've collected that many that I can't remember a lot, let alone be bothered to write them all down!

They started at a very young age with all the usual suspects: Postman Pat, Thomas the tank engine etc. etc. the books thoroughly leafed and videos watched to the point that I could recite them.

In my primary school years, my obsessions were of a far more scientific nature - I was fascinated first by the planets (my room is still full of books that I still don't understand from this phase), sharks, fish, anything poisonous, but specifically deadly plants, which I had a mass collection of. The weirdest came slightly later when I ran my own 'House Point System' - based on the one which operated at school, only with the names of the houses 'borrowed' from Harry Potter, this, and the events that ran alongside it (such as 'The Garner Chart' - my own top 40 chart, containing whatever drivvel friends through together, and whatever I currently liked from the real charts) must have driven everyone up the wall, so it was arguably a relief when I eventually gave up on that!

These days, aside from my peculiar quirks towards weird things, the only major thing is theme parks and rollercoasters. From a very young age I'd loved them, but it wasn't until April 6, 2000 (that's another one... the fact that I can just do that without thinking...) after a trip to Alton Towers when I got my first taste of the 'big rides' that this turned obsession. For 4 years, Alton Towers - especially Nemesis - was my life, and all I ever wanted to do in free time - a source of mass frustration that I was confined, if I was lucky to 5 trips per year. This year, my desire for this nature of things has taken me further afield - I joined a coaster enthusiast group on the internet, and was prepared to spend large amounts of money, as well as up to 7 hours at a time on public transport (caused an interest in travelling, directions, london underground and I've always quite liked trains) to meet up with those like-minded, and, as such, the obsession was at least now focused on those people and that website, though sadly my often unbalanced personality meant relationships with other members didn't always go so well, and often the social side of the trips could appear wasted on me.

The only problems there occur with the fact that theme parks close for 5 months a year, and so for at least 3 of those, my interest subsides, and I end up with something peculiar to focus on... Sadly it is these stages that cause the most difficult obsessions - those for other people - downright destructive for me, and rather uncomfortable for them as well. Something along those lines has occured almost every winter since 2001, and it's the destructive, weird obsessions that I could well live without - at least the rest give me something to enjoy, even if perhaps a little excessively.

Can't really recall much from when he was a baby in the way of obsessions but his first was his Stewart Little, then Thomas the Tank, then his Aunt (he was Aunt ??? mad!), then onto playstation games (still there) and his new one is Simba from the Lion King. Carries that teddy EVERYWHERE bar school and outdoors although he does try! LOL

TM that could've been my son you were writing about! :lol: Simba was a while ago now and so was his fixation with his Aunties bare back! :blink: Lately he is power rangers mad and i keep standing on little bits of them !!! :( He is also into superheroes of any sort! :D