Sign in to follow this  
DaisyProudfoot

Head Lice

OK - another yuckky topic.

My nephew's mother (nephew lives with us and we see her once a week - complicated, won't go into it) regularly gets head lice.

This means nephew is more likely to get them and as a result I have to check the whole family's hair. Everyone is easy accept one person, and you can guess which one, yup AS son :wub:

Does anyone else have problems checking AS kids' hair for headlice?

We just put up with the screams and the tears for the few minutes it takes to run the nit comb through. He's very good though, knows it's essential, and always asks between the tears, "are there any there?". Answers always no as he never goes head to head with anyone but it's still frustrating.

hi daisy

my kids school is overun with headlice so nitcombing is done every other night in our house,india actually loves it and i think she finds it quite soothing :wacko: my sisters boy who is AS as well hates it and puts up a right stink for his mum but will happily let me do it,maybe your son would let someone else do it?maybe a grandparent?

lynda x

My 9 yr old AS son hates me geting the dreaded nit comb out, he actually runs when he sees it.

I have learned now to hide it and sort of creep up on him but he still tries to run, stick his head inside his jumper, under duvet, bends down, tries to do a side tackle etc.. anything so i cant get to his head with any kind of ease at all. :wallbash:

Dontcha just luv em :unsure:

Julie xxx

Hi,

I have to resort to checking Kai's hair when he is asleep! I sneak in with a torch and comb :ph34r: .

He has very curly semi-afro hair, so it's not easy!

Loulou x

Yep know this one well my daughter got them regular at her junior school. Now after being nit free for 4 years we laugh about the nit times as we call them. I didnt at the time thugh theyn are awful. I have deloused many a child in the line of work im in and it became a personal mission lol. The only thing i can suggest and i know a lot do not like using it is Derbac. The pros out weigh the cons and peace of mind is gained once the stuff is on.

You would think that someone would come up with a decent deterrent afterall they have been around for centuries. Anyway im off as ive gone all itchy GOODLUCK with the little blighters. :hypno:

the good deterrant was the nitty nora brigade... bring them back.. I hate the little blighters..

Nicks school is overrun with them even though its not admitting it... I had real problems with doing his head.. two evils but the least is get the clippers out to shave the head every now and then.. but am totally fed up of combing and getting nowhere fast so the next time it will be the chemicals... I have tried the hoover technique which Nick loves.... lol but anything headwise and its a nightmare....

I invested in one of those electric zap gun combs - it only takes a minute or two to check and only 5 mins every other night if there are any there.

Com doesn't like it but will tolerate this method where the other methods involving sticky substances like conditioner send him into panic.

one problem though - when the first comb collapsed from use, about 5 years, we tried a different one, we tried 3 different ones and eventually I gave in and went hunting for the original - he couldn't stand the noise from the other models!

Zemanski

Luckily Henry regards the nit comb as a medical item which means (despite his hate of having his head and hair touched) he actually lets you comb his hair with the nit comb, in fact its the only way to do his hair.

In the 1980s there was a chemical that resembled meths for killing nits. It had to be applied then left overnight to soak in and work. It was absolutely awful.

There are still some parents use petrol or kerosene.

Oh my goodness petrol that sound very extreme. Oh well i just have my stand by nit lotion in surley it must be safer than petrol. I come from the lakes and there a lot of farms around. One elderley lady told me when she was a girl they used to use sheep dip :whistle: dont fancy that either.

Laine

About 4 or 5 yrs ago i used to use a zapper nit comb but my son would yelp out and said it hurt him so i havnt used 1 since and just try with the ordinary metal nit comb and altho he hates it he doesnt scream out as tho im trying to cut off his head with a rusty razor :wacko: Are the more modern Zapper combs any better or was it maybe just him being oversensitive i wonder ????

Julie xx

like I said, there are several models and Com can only tolerate one of them - I suspect different children will react to different combs and possibly not be able to stand any of them.

Zemanski

i dont think anything works except regular wet combing the hair with a nitcomb,even if you use the lotions you can get it only kills the ones theyve got and if the schools got a bad case of the,the kids will have them back in no time,just a scurge of the times i suppose,i hate the little critters,its like a personal crusade every time i do my kids :lol:

Sadly Lindy Lou it shouldn't be a scourge of the times. When I was a kid we got "Dicky Dora the Head Explorer" like every other school and I never got headlice once. Surely if the school got us all to sign a form before the woman came in we could save a lot of hassle.

Talking of personal crusades. Did anyone ever watch the replicators on Stargate SG1, positive they were influenced by the writer's continued hassle with head lice or some kind of other bug :lol:

Daisy

We have an ongoing headlice problem. My son gets them; I delouse him thoroughly; I inform the school; the school then do NOTHING... and hey presto... he gets reinfected at school. :o

Lauren

we should launch a bring back nitty nora campaign,its only lazy dirty parents who cant be bothered to run a comb through their kids hairs thats the problem,if their kids were sent home and told not to return until they were free of lice i bet the problem would improve,i asked our headmistress why they cant have the nit nurse in school and she said it was stopped because its termed as abuse if parents dont give their permission and only the parents who do their kids hairs that give permission so theres no point!!MADNESS!! :bat: