Sign in to follow this  
elaine1

Am I Obsessed with seeing AS in everyone?

My grandson B is 2. His language is fab, he knows colours and shapes. Fine so far, BUT he lines everything up and gets very upset if his lines are disturbed, has an obsession with thomas the tank, dora and hoovers.

He will only eat bananas if they are not broken have no marks or that stringy stuff from the peel on them.

I havent said anything to my daughter, but am i being TOO observant?

you can say what u like in reply to this post, i wont be offended, i have a VERY tough skin. :dance:

Elaine

I would suggest that many people who has experienced the pain and anguish of ASD are like you.I did this with my son after my daughter was ill with autistic encephalitus.i did it until he was three and i began to realise actually there was nothing wrong with him at all.

Saddest of all because of my fears and constant watching I made myself badly ill with depression and was unable to bond with him.I can't get those years back and i cant remember much of him as a baby :(

Dont do it too much you cant get those years back.

Having said that i am already checking my 11 week old niece's eye contact but not obviously I hope

My husband seems to think i am suffering or have suffered with post traumatic stress because of what happened.

Lots of what you are describing n.t. toddlers do.It would be too early to tell there is a definate problem.

try to relax and enjoy him >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I know what you mean - I seem to see AS everywhere. I think it's 'medical student' syndrome - diagnosing everyone with the last illness you studied.

All the same, I spent the weekend with my cousin's family, and I swear her son is on the spectrum.

Still, I've decided that if she hasn't got a problems with him, and he's happy and achieving things at school, then what's to point in saying anything?

My mum did this with my boys sadly she was right :tearful: . But i think it stoped her enjoying the boys especaly the baby. Try to enjoy him. you will soon know worrying wont help

My son was the same,know his colours,shapes etc and also i had alot of behaviour problems,no sleep,head butting everything :tearful: and liked somethings done in a certain way.

He couldn't hold a pen or pencil propley and fell over nothing.

I took me 5 years for the hospital to refer him to ocupational th.Then another 3 years before they refered him to CAMHS,were he is now getting dx for asperger syndrome. :tearful:

I agree with adamsmum,enjoy him.I have become drained trying to fight the system.

It can take over your life.

Take care and have loads of fun with him >:D<<'>

Oh i do enjoy him and am not obsessing over it at all. I just wondered if anyone else was particularly 'eagle eyed' when it came to AS. I love him to bits and we have a great time together.

thanks for your replies

im doing it all the time,ive got members of the family,friends,their kids all DX with ASD,i think we pick up on certain traits our kids have,we could be right though,who knows.

It's funny that you mention that he is obsessed with Hoovers. My Dylan who is 3 1/2 now used to be the same with Hoovers. At one point his favourite thing was looking at the Argus catalogue at the Vacuum cleaner's section! He also lines things up and gets very upset when our 1 yo inevitably messes the order up.

His imaginative play is also very structured on his terms and he gets annoyed if you try to change the scenario.

I really don't know if these symptoms are AS or not and at the moment I'm not worrying about it because he's happy and he's a wonderful child. So try not to worry, just enjoy him and his individual ways. If it does turn out he has AS then you'll be really glad you just enjoyed his toddlership rather than worrying about him - if that makes sense?!

Edited by qthewingedserpent

I think we're all more aware of AS than the average person in the street. But a 2 year old toddler has a lot of "autistic" traits which aren't necessarily indicative of ASD - they're often just "being a toddler".

I have noticed that my sister's sister-in-law's daughter is autistic but her mum won't have it. My dad was going on about the kid and it's problems and I just lost it, I said:

"She's autistic, it's as plain as the nose on her face, she's been like that since birth, her mum just won't accept there's anything wrong with kid. It's not fair the child has to suffer like that." :angry:

And it's not ........ do I tell her my suspicions?

Daisy

I'm an Aspie spotter - I think we are more aware :) and - I wish someone had said something to us so we could have got a diagnosis sooner :( - but that's just me ... :)