LKS

Info from LEAs

I was just on the IPSEA website reading a copy of the letter that the Dfes sent to all directors of education. There is an interesting bit in it about naming schools and the info LEAs should provide to parents. Wonder how many of us ever got this information :whistle:

Naming a school in a child's statement

Recent correspondence we have received has highlighted some misunderstandings about the processes to be followed prior to naming a school in Part 4 of a statement. I hope the following will clarify the position.

Where a local authority, having made a first statutory assessment of a child or at the time of amending a statement, sends a copy of a proposed statement or a proposed amended statement or a copy of the existing statement and an amendment notice to the parent, the written notice which must accompany these documents must contain the information as specified in Schedule 1 to the Education (Special Educational Needs) (England) (Consolidation) Regulations 2001, by virtue of regulations 14 and 15 respectively of those Regulations (a copy of which is to be found in the back of the SEN Code of Practice 2001).

This information must include a list of all primary or secondary schools, as appropriate. This list should include all maintained schools (including special schools) within the area and all non-maintained special schools approved by the Secretary of State under section 342 of the Education Act 1996 and all independent schools approved by the Secretary of State under section 347 of the Act.

LKS would this list of schools state what type of school they are? Mainstream Primary, middle, high, special needs and so on? Could be handy for someone I know if it does!

Phas from what i read it seems as though it would list the type of school but because there are probably very few (if any) parents who have got this, can't really say :unsure: Wonder if the Dfes would be able to tell us exactly what they would expect the LEA to provide.

annie our LEA forgetful, slow and many other things that spring to mind :devil:

Elaine got her list....

Obviously you and annie are singled out for 'special treatment' - they know how much you enjoy surfing the net to find this stuff ut for yourselves :D:lol:

Phasmid,

I got the list with A's proposed statement but forgot about it because all the advice says he needs to be educated at home. A's is for the neighbouring LEA to Birmingham but the Independent and non-maintained schools listed are nationwide. They have however, listed only schools dealing with severe learning difficulties associated with autism, not alot of good to us since A is on the gifted register.

There are no independent schools listed in the Birmingham area, nearest is Rugeley (ages 5 - 19) or Shrewsbury (ages 9-16)

I got those lists several years ago, but don't think our LEA send them out nowadays. It was divided into disability type (though there was a lot of crossover, so you needed to read the full description eg: also takes....). these lists do not include any not-approved schools, which means quite a few schools are not on the list (eg: if they are new, they do not yet have the evidence needed for approval). this does not mean those schools are no good though.

Karen

Interesting replies. Have spoken to a couple of other people I know in my borough with statemented children, none of them got the list. Why am I not surprised. Don't feel so persecuted now :lol:

We got this list from the LEA when we were in Cornwall but Devon have never deemed it appropriate to supply me with such info ... bless them!

HHxx

Well - there's a turn up for the books! :lol:

My LEA did send the list out! :lol:

Looks like they managed to get something right after all!

Have just had an e-mail from PP lady. She said she knows this list is supposed to be sent out, but because the matter had never been raised before she presumed the LEA were in fact sending it out. I have replied that the matter has probably never been raised before because most of us parents didn't realise we were supposed to get this list :wacko: