Viper

My email to ulrika

My computer is playing up so have not posted for a while but when I read Lindy lous post I had to send Ulrika a reply.

Hope I didn't go overboard.

Viper.

Ulrika, how dare you make fun of a condition you know nothing about. My son has ODD and it is no laughing matter. When you have to hide knives, scissors, any heavy object or anything that can be used as a weapon against you or your other children you may begin to understand what "ordinary" people go through every day.

You will no doubt say I am a bad parent but I have 4 children three of whom have a disability. I have had to fight for the past 15 years to help my children through the school system that sets out to make life as hard as possible for children with disabilities. My eldest daughter is 18 and has Dyslexia, she has had 4 acceptance letters for university. My second daughter, 14, has Aspergers syndrome (a form of Autism, in case you don't know) and is at an inclusive school doing extremely well and wants to become a midwife. My son is 5 and should have started school in September but the system, that is education, made all our lives a misery and the school obviously didn't want my son in their school so made sure they put as many obstacles in our way. I now home educate him. My youngest daughter is 11 and has just sat her 11+ exam.

This is a small example of the mother I have had to become in order to get my children this far in life. If I am a bad mother then at least I can say I worked damned hard at it. Can you?

Your statement "In other words they're ###### naughty" Is a nasty an vicious attack on parents all across the country who live with violent attacks from their children but still love and do the best they can for their child. These are not naughty children, a naughty child writes on the wall, refuses to pick up their toys or cries when they have to go to bed. A child with ODD Shreds wallpaper off walls while screaming and throwing any object it can lay it's hands on at you, smashes their favourite toy to pieces because you said mind you don't stand on that toy, or runs out of the front door and up the street when you say it's bed time in half an hour.

The above are just a few examples of ODD behaviour, call it "naughty child" if you want but until you have walked one single step in my shoes please keep your unprofessional, uneducated, insulting, nasty and vicious comments to yourself. Just because you have a column in a news paper does not qualify you to make flippant comments on things you know noting about. Please leave these issues to the professionals and keep your ugly thoughts to yourself. It's people like you who make nasty comments in the supermarket when we are already struggling to get through the day.

Yours, a very upset and angry mother.

Viper did Ulrika'a column have anything to do with the article in the daily mail last week about the boy who has ODD and has been excluded from school many times. This was a real hatchet job on the family done by the daily mail, and took great delight in the fact of his 'unstable' home life. It was patronising and condesending(sp) typical daily mail article I suppose :angry:

LKS, Ulrikas column is in the News of the worl. If you read Lindy-lous post on Ulrika Jonson, she has posted the full transcript of the article.

Way to go Viper!!! :thumbs:

I found her comment insulting and downright degrading!

My son doesn't have ODD, is it worth me writing an email too?? Which newspaper was it??

Just a quicky, you didn't mention what disabilities Ben has, that would be enough to pour salt in her wounds! :lol:

I read your comments in yesterdays paper about ODD and to be honest they disgusted me, who are you to make a joke out of what is a very real and distressing condition? Do you think your celebrity status makes you a qualified psychiatrist? i will invite you to come to my house ulrika and spend some time with a child with ODD, then you may see that your comments were ignorant,ill informed and downright rude in the extreme, people like you are what makes life difficult for parents trying to cope with children who have problems like these and now you have incited half the country to think the same way as your narrow minded, pig ignorant views,well thanks heaps, you think my daughter is just naughty? you know nothing and you should be ashamed of yourself for commenting on something you so obviously know NOTHING about.

A disgusted,saddened and infuriated mother.

mine has gone too,anybody else that would like to tell her what they think of her can at ulrika@notw.co.uk

I'll do one better, I'll send her a virus! Tehehehe!!

Totally kidding of course and wouldn't know how to if I wanted to and even then, I an't THAT nasty and won't stoop to her low level! :wallbash:

Here's mine,

As you can see, your email box is rapidly filling up with emails from angry parents b/c of one idiotic remark you made.

You as a mother, we'd have thought would have had more sense than to make such a sickening and disrespectful comment like that but then heyy, your kids are 'normal', they are 'healthy' and they go through life without any worries or concerns. My son isn't so lucky. He is 6yrs old, has Autism, Sensory Integration Dysfunction, hearing loss, co-ordination issues and Global Developmental Delay. Since the age of 2, I have had to fight the medical system tooth and nail to find out what was wrong with my son, finally he was diagnosed Autistic in Nov '05. I have to fight the education system to get my son statemented, to get him the 1:1 support he needs, to get him educated, to get the school to understand his issues and once you've done all this, it all starts all over again b/c annual reviews come up and you have to fight for what he already has so that he can keep that supoort etc etc. On top of that, I have to fight for my own family to understand his issues, to understand why he's prone to meltdowns, why he screams and squeals, why he doesn't listen to you, why he doesn't look at you, why he hates going on buses, why he screams b/c he wanted something and i said No, why he lashes out when things don't go his way! Is he spoilt or naughty?? No, he is AUTISTIC!

Everyday we (meaning myself and a LOT of parents in my situation) have to battle the general public, the bad looks we get, the stares, the tutting, the 'Shhhh!' my son gets from total strangers, the ignorant comments etc etc, all b/c he isn't behaving in the manner that is 'expected' from society. Yes, you can teach kids to behave in society, you can teach them to listen etc but that's 'normal' kids, my son cannot be taught those things, he wouldn't be Autistic if he could. Yes he can learn to control them but at 6yrs of age, it's not realistic.

My son is 6yrs old and has soooo many things he has to deal with day in day out, things that your kids take for granted, things that you as a mother take for granted.

Please don't make such pathetic, ignorant and downridght rude remarks without walking a mile in our shoes or even a few steps in my son's!

A very very angry single mother whom fights for the best for my child and could do without remarks from people in public like you!

Society really does have a lot to learn!

This is mine -

Instead of using your energy to cause problems for parents of children with a disability you should be using your energies to get down on your knees every night and thank God for your healthy children.

My son is autistic and I guess to someone in the supermarket his meltdowns (a very autistic trait) may look like a "naughty boy" tantrum to the untrained eye. I can assure you that they are not & that I am not a bad mother for trying to calmly deal with him without making him worse.

However, unfortunately, uneducated comments like yours lead to other parents "tutting" at me or passing comments on my abilities as a mother, rather than trying to understand what I am going through or at least ignoring me & letting me get on with it.

It is so difficult to know that your child has a life long disability that will not get better, it cannot be cured & I have to live with that every day of my life. The last thing I need is someone like you rallying people round to look down on me or have a go at my child or me.

You should be encouraging support for parents of disabled children, our life is already hard enough, being a mother yourself I really would have expected more from you.

OUCH!!!

Hi all -

While I certainly WOULD NOT want anyone to think they shouldn't e-mail Ulrika with a personal response, and would be the first to complain about uneducated and ill advise comments on subjects close to all our hearts, i would ask everyone to proceed with caution...

The last thing we'd want is to give the impression that this was an 'organised' response, or to imply that there was an overall 'forum' agenda at play. That would not only reflect negatively on the forum, but actually undermine the position of those who are sending letters of complaint.

Hope you all appreciate why I've made this post; and the above considerations aside a big thankyou to those who are articulating their anger directly...

I still haven't read the article, but would advise as always that editorial bias can make things appear very differently to how they are intended, and that sometimes things just 'come out wrong'...

As someone who regularly puts his foot in his mouth, I'm always trying to give people the benefit of the doubt, 'cos I ask the same of others quite regularly!!

L&P

BD

[######, Harry - baddad the voice of reason??? Must have flipped into an alternative reality or summink!]

i cant speak for anyone else but i made no mention at all about the forum,BD im pretty sure her inbox will be full to bursting as we cannot be the only people who are offended by what she said.

i cant speak for anyone else but i made no mention at all about the forum,BD im pretty sure her inbox will be full to bursting as we cannot be the only people who are offended by what she said.

Hi Lindy -

No, i know you are all far to lovely/sensible AND INDIVIDUAL for that. i'm sure also you'll be on the money regarding her in box...just felt that to the casual forum viewer this could have appeared as something other than what it was...

The casual viewer, after all, wouldn't know what a great bunch of idiots generous, kind, thoughtful, forgiving and accepting people you are, now would they? >:D<<'>

L&P

BD :D

Hi Lindy -

No, i know you are all far to lovely/sensible AND INDIVIDUAL for that. i'm sure also you'll be on the money regarding her in box...just felt that to the casual forum viewer this could have appeared as something other than what it was...

The casual viewer, after all, wouldn't know what a great bunch of idiots generous, kind, thoughtful, forgiving and accepting people you are, now would they? >:D<<'>

L&P

BD :D

:D

i think a casual forum viewer would see we are all passionate about protecting our babies from ignorance and prejudice,and rightly so :dance: i will wait with baited breath to read next weeks trash of the world and see if she retracts her statement or offers an apology...if not i shall be emailing the editor next :D

I'll do one better, I'll send her a virus! Tehehehe!!

Totally kidding of course and wouldn't know how to if I wanted to and even then, I an't THAT nasty and won't stoop to her low level! :wallbash:

i have remove this post that i posted because i recently found out that it was a mistake to post this post on a public forum if you know what was in this post then forget i said it

Edited by microsoft_admin

Viper, you forgot to say 'up yours'. Theres some irony there if u think about it long enough lol

I,m not a fan of Ms Johnsson,s.................I,m a fan of everyone on this forum :D .I think she has made a some startling ignorant comments, which she should apologise for, and perhaps educate herself about aswell.She does however have a child born with a heart defect which means she should have some idea of what it is like living with a child who has a disabling condition.I,m not trying to defend her ,far from it.

Bd,

I too didn't mention the forum all I wrote is in my post above.

I think if anyone comes on the forum to read these posts they will probably already have experienced some of the ignorance we are so enraged about.

As for editorial bias, this is her own column and has made ignorant comments before of this nature that I almost complained about then but let it slide.. I understand what you are saying BD but political corectness can go too far, if she see's fit to print this kind of tripe for the whole country to read, why should we on a forum have to worry about upsetting the minority of people that may come across our posts and be offended. Like I said if they are here to find out about ASD then they will understand.

Viper

another point BD is, I did not ask people to follow suit and email her, they did so off their own backs obviously feeling as strongly as me. Having a child with ODD i think I am within my rights to complain but if you think it was wrong to post it on here for others oppinions then feel free to delete as nesasary.

Ok rant over, Now I have got off my soapbox and you have taken off your moderators hat, no hard feelings. :P

Noooooo, don't do that! I was joking in my post and wouldn't wish that on anyone!!

I was joking!!!

could you remove that quote (the one were i mentiond the thing you were joking about) plz i recently found out i shouldent have mentiond that so i am trying to fix my mistake

Edited by microsoft_admin

Admin, if you look to the bottom right of the screen as it is facing you, you will see three blue buttons, if you click on the one that says edit, you then select the full edit option and you can take out all the bits you don't want on there. You can only do this on your own posts though.

Viper.

Edited by Viper

Admin, if you look to the bottom right of the screen as it is facing you, you will see three blue buttons, if you click on the one that says edit, you then select the full edit option and you can take out all the bits you don't want on there. You can only do this on your own posts though.

Viper.

Viper, I think he's asking Tyler's Mum to remove the quote from her post, as she quoted his now-edited post. I could be wrong, though.

Viper, I think he's asking Tyler's Mum to remove the quote from her post, as she quoted his now-edited post. I could be wrong, though.

yea thats what i am asking