Sign in to follow this  
elaine1

ooh this made me think

Im researching the family tree, wish i hadnt actually its a right pain in the rear. anyhoo, i found a census with my great nans name on it and when i read it there was a column at the end which read deaf, imbecile,

mute, feeble minded. she had a cross and deaf written there.

But, this made me think how many of our children would have been included in that column as ibeciles?.

this was not too long ago, makes u shudder dosent it? :tearful:

not so long ago, certainly within our lifetimes, many of our children would have been stuck in institutions, deemed completely unteachable and simply drugged and ignored

sometimes it still feels like that but if you step back and look at the history you can see things are improving, just slowly

Z

A lot of them were locked away as embarrasments to their families :angry:

And some parents are still like that now :angry:

I know some parents who'd rather let thier child suffer in a mainstream school than send them to a special school :angry:

Up until the 1980's Autism was classed as a mental illness.

Clare

Was it realy classed as a mental illness :huh: I never new that. Eny other interesting facts

Edited by adamsmum

I was looking at the 1901 census researching my mums grandmother. She didn't appear on it but the mum, dad and brother did. The dad had a tick next to deaf and the brother a tick next to imbecile. Wonder who decided?

A lot of them were locked away as embarrasments to their families :angry:

And some parents are still like that now :angry:

I know some parents who'd rather let thier child suffer in a mainstream school than send them to a special school :angry:

Up until the 1980's Autism was classed as a mental illness.

Clare

I send my child to a mainstream school.. :huh:

I haven't locked my son away in embarassment :o but sometimes I do get embarassed. :unsure:

A lot of people were sent away to rot in bedlam for less than being autistic. History reveals a cruel streak..

I have not gone right back into my family history but when my two were diagnosed it made my mother question a couple of her relatives. One being a girl who described as being 'slow, deaf and very odd' by a Maiden Aunt. This girl was put into service where she did really well - could it be the routine - but fell apart when the family removed her to work elsewhere? The other was an Uncle who was said to be deaf. The family put his inappropriate behaviour down to his deafness? hmmmmm

Carole

My great uncle - a very intelligent man - was a forensic pathologist. He was also reclusive, I guess working with dead people means you don't have to deal with social niceties. He had a fantastic train set which he would let you play with if you were careful and he was a mega alcoholic.

He lived in the same house as my great gran, she lived on the top floor and he lived in the basement, the servants lived somewhere in between.

He's dead now bless him - un dx Aspie - 100%

Daisy