Sign in to follow this  
lil_me

Anyone left handed or have left handed children ?

My son who is now 5 has eventually decided he's left handed, he's used both for years. Anyway I need things like scissors for him, any ideas where I can get them ?

I managed to get scissors for m from a local craft shop. I think they all seem to sell them or will order them in for you. They weren't too expensive I think about ?3. So far we haven't needed any other left handed bits.

Yes I'm sure ELC sell these. My daughter just found cutting with scissors really difficult full stop. So we tried left handed, right handed, chunky ones, thin ones all kinds - it wasn't until she got to about 6 that she could manage a pair but using her two hands!!!

The school should have some left-handed scissors - often a different colour to the RH ones - make sure he knows which ones to use. Schools can be very lax about teaching LH'ed children to do things LH'edly. My son was taught to write in the same way as his RH'd brother, and it caused lots of problems. The LH company has several good books about writing LH'd.

When you get some LH'd scissors, rulers, etc - try using them and you will see how difficult it is for them to use RH'd things. Writing with a LH'd fountain pen is impossible!

Karen

Yes, my eldest is left handed.

It's a shame for him because he gets really cheesed off with himself because the ink is usually smudged on his school books. I didn't know you could get left handed rulers though!

Rulers normally start with the numeral 1 on the left hand side so the right hander will measure from left to right pulling the pencil if drawing a line. For a leftie it's harder as you are dragging the pencil and a lefties eye will work more naturally right to left.

For me, as a leftie, I have real trouble with corkscrews!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I always have to think which way a screwdriver will turn to screw in.

After I've managed the corkscrew and the wine, sometimes i have to think which way the bathtaps turn!!!! :tearful:

It's not a lefthanded world!!!!

My daughter and husband are left handed - my son and I are right handed so there is a balance of power!.

You can get left handed cheque books and my husband ordered one on our joint account. I found it really irritating to use - I suppose now I know how you "lefties" feel most of the time!

I'm left handed and so are 2 of my children. My son has used a left handed ruler at school and it does help. I have trouble with things such as bread knives I seem to have to hack at things to cut them. Do you remember those chairs at school with desks attached that lifted up. All of them had the arm rests on the right hand side, drove me mad. My daughter and myself have developed a peculiar grip when holding pens so that we don't smudge our writing, my son doesn't bother :) Cheque books are a real problem as well, but I think you can get left handed ones if you can be bothered. It is not a left handed world but I think people are more understanding now. Left handers are particularly appreciated in some sports like cricket.

I am left-handed and so is my ASD son left-handed, i got left-handed scissors through the child development centre, they suggested using them and the school offered to pay for two pairs, one for me and one for them which i thought was nice of them, if you contact the occu therapist at your local child dev centre they have brochures you can look through :dance:

jayne xx

We can't even get an OT appointment for my ASD son as his needs aren't sufficient to have an assessment so I doubt we'll get any support as his brother is only left handed. The school do have ONE set of scissors but nothing else. I will look for a book about it as especially the writing is becoming a major issue as he is smudging it.

Hi,

I'm left-handed mainly but can use right-handed scissors, probably cos we never had any lefty ones when I was a kid.

there was a poll on this subject quite recently, and Zemanski, I think asked about the ratio of left/right handedness.

I need to check this, but I remember being told by my art teacher that 1:10 children are lefties, and 7:10 of those are boys. This was when she was refusing to take me on the calligraphy o'level course !

So one pair of left-handed scissors in the school doesn't seem to be fair.

When you buy blocks of scissors for pre-school etc you get 4 lefts to 20 rights or thereabouts, anyway a much better split. You can buy just right-handed ones cheaper of course !

It's a right-handed and NT world :angry:

wac

Yes, my son seems to have trouble cutting his food, he just rips it as a pose to cutting. :huh:

You can get a LH bread knife from the LH company. My LH friend said it is brilliant!

You can get LH watches and clocks too and LH sharpeners and protractors - all sorts of things.

Karen

I think originally there must have been more sets in school, but over time become lost and they haven't had a little lefty for a while. I am going to ask them about the possibility of getting more items as he gets older and needs them and ask them what writing styles they are teaching him etc