Viper

Are your kids underweight?

Had a clinic appointment yesterday and found out, not surprisingly, that Ben is under weight. He is only 17KG. He is tall for his age so this makes his weight even more worrying.

I pointed out that his diet is very poor but the pead said, he has grown since last time so don't worry about it. He might have got taller but his weight is unchanged.

Does anyone else have worries about weight?

Edited by Viper

I leave the worries to the peaditricians.

Annie is VERY underweight (under the 0.4 centile) and she eats everything in front of her (she is 8 years old and less than 17kg)

If she keeps this up she will be back on maxijul!

My eldest is very thin. He is always growing (5'10"+ now), but never seems to put on any weight. He has been like this since he got to two years old (he was a bonny baby!). I have asked several times, and noone seems worried about it. He eats OK.

I had to take his last pair of trousers in by 6" round the waist!

Karen

Yup, Logan is. He's just gone back down to the 9th centile but they're not worried - we were discharge from hospital weight/constipation clinic back in Oct when he got back up to 25th centile from dropping below the 2nd. He doesn't eat well though, but because he's hypotonic he doesn't have much muscle tone which contributes to him being light.

He's a diddy wee thing. I try not to stress about it though as he is still healthy.

Lynne

yes my son if hes ill or stressed the weight drops off as quick as in a week,really notice it around his face or his little ribs.

i think the i q fish oils help to fatten him up a bit or if hes off food i have a bottle of minedex for him which works quite well :P

During his last Pead appointment last month, T was wieghed and measured. He has grown 2cm but remained the same weight as he was 6mths ago.

I wouldn't say he was under-weight but he is slim.

Edited by Tylers-mum

Yes he was very underweight - way below the bottom line on the weight charts, despite eating a fair amount. Yes the paed told me not to worry about it. But I did. I changed his diet and now he's regaining and getting back to where he should be.

Yes, DS is very underweight - having started on the 50th centile (average) for his weight and being well above the line for his height, he's now well below the lowest line for his weight and his height has suffered accordingly.

We went through all kinds of trauma about it when the paediatrician told us he was failing to thrive, but he seems to have come through the worst and, whilst his diet is still far from adequate, he is at least starting to put on a little bit of weight.

Yes, C is very thin and seems mostly made up of elbows -- but so is his NT younger brother, who eats hugely.

Their little sister, on the other hand, would make a good Weeble.

Oops, showing my age, I think...

yup, Nick looks slightly malnourished - all skin and bones as my nan would say !! his trousers are constantly falling down - fine in the length but the width we have to use a belt with extra holes made and they still flap a bit... makes his knees look even knobblier !!! but still adorable . ;)

If she keeps this up she will be back on maxijul!

My DD was on Maxijul when she was a baby- horrible stuff.

H is solid- not fat and tall for his age and he's a pretty good eater but loves his choccy (who doesn't :rolleyes: )

He's got very big and broad hands and feet- he's over a H width fitting in Clarks :blink:

Clare

Same here. P wobbles between the 2nd and 9th centiles at his best...dropping off the bottom if he gets ill. He is a VERY fussy eater. I've had all sorts of rows with school about sending him in with high sugar and high fat lunches...he needs calories at any cost!

Despite problems with tummies and diet before going GF/CF, mine have always been "Mr Average", smack bang on the 50th centile for weight. AS son looks "slim" and has no spare fat on him, but I'm assured his weight is ideal.

I'm a little cautious though, as I was just the same shape as my sons until about 18 years old, when my weight shot up and I kinda changed shape totally. Years of owning horses kept me fairly toned but now, horseless and hypothyroid, I'm a knackered Mrs Blobby :lol:

VS xx

I'm a knackered Mrs Blobby :lol:

Ha, know what you mean - I managed 42 years without a stomach, and now, I can't fit into a single pair of trousers I owned 12 months ago, and god, where does all that ear hair come from?

Anyway, my lad skinny as a rake, eats like a horse, normally has an iron constitution. But then so am I, or was.

Ray

We have two ASD children. One very skinny, but the other one would eat constantly if we let him and is built like the proverbial brick outhouse being very tall and very heavy for his age.

The headmistress at our childrens Special School for children with Autism says that they have two sizes of children at the school, very small and very large with not many people inbetween.

Simon

My 12yr old (AS) daughter has always been underweight and under a Paed. since birth for failure to thrive, 18mths ago was seriously losing weight and Paed. referred her to Pysch. Team as he thought she was anorexic - they diagnosed AS and over the past year her weight has gone up from 4stone to 5stone!!!

Always been very fussy with her eating, only liking certain textures and things she can control (i.e. finger foods mostly) but has over the past 2yrs been a little more adventurous and has even eaten a chip!

I'm a 25-year-old Aspie male, measuring just a little under 6'0", and weighing around 9st 9lb / 61kg ... read into that whatever you please! :D

James