Sign in to follow this  
stressed out mum

Science lesson

Hi Everyone

Went to my son's open evening last week and gave all the teachers some information on how to behave around my son (this site is giving me some attitude!). NONE of the teachers knew that my son had the condition and therefore were still being quite forceful with homework and detention. :(

To my surprise the science teacher has now given my son food for thought and asked:-

List 5 things that could help me learn better in class such as more experiments.

He likes the idea of more experiments and to use the computer (no surprise there) but we are now struggling. Has anyone got any ideas? He hates all of that writing stuff and needs to be hands on which I suppose is normal.

Hi SOM :)

When my son was in mainstream school one aspect he found very difficult about science lessons was that he was expected to collect together all the different equipment for the experiments...way too complicated organisational skills!

One suggestion could be that the lab technician collects together the equipment your son needs before the lesson starts.

Another suggestion: a very clear, step by step list of instructions for each experiment on a handout, rather than the borad or given verbally.

Hope this helps!

Bid :)

Hi stressed out mum,

Its really bad that NONE of the teachers were aware of yours sons condition. Thats unfair on him because they are so strict with homework. Do they set different work that he could cope with for homework?

My AS son (12) loves Science it must be the hands on aspect that he loves I don't have 5 ideas for you but it has been suggested to me that my son use a lap top in school (he is really good on the computer) to help him with the work load and writing which he is finding difficult. I just don't have a lap top, cant afford it at the mo but its only a suggestion.

good luck

justamom

Hi Justamom,

Have you tried asking school to provide a laptop for your son? I did and was amazed that they agreed straight away. He's found it REALLY helpful.

Niothing ventured nothing gained, as they say!

Nemesis

I never even considered asking the school to provide on just thought that they would say no. If you don't ask you don't get!! I going to phone the SENCO today!!! Thanks for that

Thankyou for your replies :D

Working with a partner sounds good. He does have a PAL in tutor, a VERY intelligent boy, who goes over the work with my son until he understands and then does his own in a wink of an eye!

He also like the handout idea nothing can go wrong then.

There is only one LSA/DSA support in the class so she just floats where she is needed :( Alhtough some classes have 1 to 1 support working with the statemented students aswell. I think that because he is very quiet they forget that he is there :(

And the homework he gets is the same as everyone elses.

We did have an agreement with his head of year that the teachers would check that his homework was written in his journal at the end of each lesson. Have complained again to SENCO and she is bringing it up at next staff meeting. The one teacher which did write in his homework has unreadable writing :wallbash:

Can't see them getting him a laptop if they don't provide much classroom support. Maybe I can get one of those pocket size organisers though. My brother is trying to get those for his school so that he can send their homework to them via his computer.

One suggestion could be that the lab technician collects together the equipment your son needs before the lesson starts.

:lol::robbie: good luck with that. I'm currently an assistant lab technician and you're lucky if you get it so that a colour blind child has a sheet they can read never mind a techie actually going to the trouble of doing all that (they'll say they've not the time or some rubbish) - and I'm currently job hunting.

Hi OPooh :)

I know what you mean...this was a suggestion by my son's mainstream secondary school, but like so much else (e.g. writing his prep in his planner for him) it just never happened...

Which is why he's now at a special school for AS...where he doesn't even have to provide his own pencil case! :lol: Everything they need for lessons is there in the classroom ready for them :)

Bid :bat:

It's so stupid how they just wont do this small little things to help - yet they have decided to go into a career which is suppose to help children :jester: - makes me mad.

Glad he's better off now though :)

My sons 13 and mainstream grammer. Science is sons favourite subject. He says its because its so logical and there isnt as much writing so like your lad, he copes better in subject than others though the organisation part is very difficult. I think teacher makes a fair bit of allowance for my lad - thankfully he seems 'teachers pet' in physics LOLOL I love that idea where ur son has a freind to check his production of work! I may steal idea for sons weaker subjects he struggles more in :P

Again - same as you - at each parent eve i see every teacher and fit into convo 'sons SEN, has ADD and AS' and watch at least a third mask their surprise and over half have completely the wrong diagnosis of how to treat him and help.

I did have a huge talk with learning mentor and Im optomistically hoping shes about to help. Does your sons school have one? because although senco seemed OK - learning mentor seems to be more useful for dealing with sons emotional needs, a bit of support etc and someone to chat to when child gets flustered. She did seem to be very aware and commented that there were other boys with Aspergers in the school but all presented completely differently and she would make sure all teachers understood what was right for my boy rather than 'correct way of dealing with umbrella of As....' Though seems a little surprised when i pointed out that emotionally and maturity of my boy was equivelant to a 9 yr old (no wonder poor kid wanders about like a guppy fish in a pirahna tank :blink: ) Keep banging my head again the presumtion that cos son is very intelectual, that he must also be mature...which he obviously isnt!

We did have an agreement with his head of year that the teachers would check that his homework was written in his journal at the end of each lesson. Have complained again to SENCO and she is bringing it up at next staff meeting. The one teacher which did write in his homework has unreadable writing

Similarly sons IEP main point is 'teachers to check he's written homework into his book' 2 years on I'm still banging on about this not being done so when son gets numerous homework detentions I'm starting to feel that he's penalised for his handicap and no allowances are made. I think getting this issue sorted is one of the main pointers - how can a child do homework if they cant remember which exersize to do, dont have reference book and no clue when work is due in???

He also like the handout idea nothing can go wrong then.
I find son looses handouts....something as simple as teacher stapling to text book would save me hours rooting though sons school bag ( when its in his locker probably or just dropped in school hallways!)

I did find one way of getting homework in that worked? Dont know if its useful or relative to your family, but science teacher suggested son e-mail work from home into school - direct to her. He never missed a single peice from then. Because it was instantanious whilst son was focussed he completed , sent and didnt have to worry. Most his written homework gets done, just left in bedroom/locker/bag / handed in wrong day or week etc !!!

er m - ive rambled as normal :( At a loss for ideas, just sorta recalling what my kid has issues with and wondering if yours is samey -

xx pep

my sons homework is stapled to his diary. Such an easy thing for the teacher to do or a buddy system.

Does your child have a statement and what does it say amount showing alternative methods of learing.

Jen

Thankyou for your replies. We've been away (Centre Parcs) so just catching up with Forum again!

Have to pick up the cats soon, that's another ordeal cos he loves going to see the other cats and insists on coming with me! (bless)

My son does not have a statement he left year six on stage 3 but I don't think we would ever get one for him. He has been included in 'normal' lessons for a while now and some of the teacher's seem so unorganised. He has two teachers for science, one who has become really helpful since he found out about Aspergers, and one who doesn't seem to care what goes on. He also has two English teachers although they are both very good. This means that he gets homework from both teachers in that subject due in at different lessons :(

The PAL system does work but it is only his form teacher that uses it, although she is trying to sort it out with other teachers. Although his sister told me that if they ask the teachers will write anyone's homework in their journal for them! Maybe it is his shyness that prevents him from doing that.

He is incredibly shy. When the maths teachers tried to pick him out to answer a question to make him join in he said that he looked 'like a rabbit caught in headlights'. :(

I do find though that he can be lazy and he does need a HUGE amount of encouragement to do his homework. Maybe e-mailing is the answer, he can't even forget to hand it in then :D

I have never heard of the school having a learning mentor, it sounds like a great idea, rather than keep going to the senco. The school he goes to has 1600 students so maybe it is just too much for him. He goes to his sister or her friends for help at breaks (he was being bullied) but she will be leaving in a year.

He did say to me a while ago (another thread) that he thought that this school is too 'professional' for special needs children :(

We have got our house up for sale and he can't wait to go. I bet as soon as we have got this school sorted the house will sell and we will have to begin again :(

Edited by stressed out mum

Hi Canopus,

I'm pretty sure my DS will do science at A level, although he's very good at languages too and I try to get him to keep an open mind about it.

Hi Pepper,

I did have a huge talk with learning mentor and Im optomistically hoping shes about to help. Does your sons school have one? because although senco seemed OK - learning mentor seems to be more useful for dealing with sons emotional needs, a bit of support etc and someone to chat to when child gets flustered.

DS's school has two dedicated (non-teaching) learning mentors who job share. TBH I don't know how he would have managed at senior school without them. It's a rare day he doesn't seek them out at some point and they are his first port of call if he has to use his 'exit card' to leave class. It's also great for me as they are very accessible so, e.g. if I know that DS was stressed when he left home I can just call them and ask them to keep an eye on him.

Nemesis :)

No, just lazy. CP = Canopus. Was in a hurry when i responded.

Doh! I thought you were referring to your son's learning mentor being c**p rather than saying your son is doing science. All is clear now!

Edited by Nemesis

Hi Everyone

Went to my son's open evening last week and gave all the teachers some information on how to behave around my son (this site is giving me some attitude!). NONE of the teachers knew that my son had the condition and therefore were still being quite forceful with homework and detention. :(

To my surprise the science teacher has now given my son food for thought and asked:-

List 5 things that could help me learn better in class such as more experiments.

He likes the idea of more experiments and to use the computer (no surprise there) but we are now struggling. Has anyone got any ideas? He hates all of that writing stuff and needs to be hands on which I suppose is normal.

more experiments

use computers more

draw pictures to record results

an oppisete sex partner ? (not shure about this one but still)

read stories about space and astornauts when at home

buy the usborne dictonary of science (i got an old vershion of this book but it is very informitive lots of pictures and charts to show how things work also lots of texts)

dismantle things that dont work and cant be repaird (adult supervishion might be required when usiong tools and dismantiling things <be carfull with tv's the crt stores current like a capaciter so make very shure to discharge it by touching a grounded piece of metal to the mettal bits under the plastic bit on the side of the crt make shure to hold the metal grounded object that you discharge the crt with with a well insulated object surch as a towel> but then again i wouldent recomend dismantiling a tv on your first go try dismantiling some thing like a radio or a vcr first)

watch braniac science abuse on sky one every day (if you have sky)

think about how the human body works

ask questions (lots of questions)

i got plenty more ideas but to many to post pm me if you like

A buddy who is willing is awefully helpful especaily if they can get the equipment fo your son I was lucky at school that a friend would help me with note taking (I m dyslexic not autistic but share my own sons lack of ablity of oganising).B has a buddy at cubs

Edited by Emma3

I'm not sure if it's still worth doing science subjects for A Level from the point of view of employment unless you want to go into medicine. I have A Levels in physics and chemistry and they are quite difficult subjects although they can be fun in places. If were 16 today then I wouldn't do physics or chemistry for A Level. Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't do any A Levels and wouldn't go to university. I would take a Linux certificate instead and go into a Linux related career.

I think it is better to go the computing and software route rather than the science and engineering route. I hold a degree in electronic engineering and wouldn't recommend anybody take this subject.

My son who is coming up on 8 has declared that he will be a great scientist. Unfortunately he wants to use his power to do evil and is hellbent on world domination. :( I've even heard him practicing his evil laugh.......too much Pinky and the brain methinks. :D:D

Sorry, slightly offtopic there.

Science careers are quite badly paid considering how much studying you need to become a scientist. Many chemists earn only 15k a year which is similar to the salary of a scaffolding erector on a building site with no qualifications. Have a look in New Scientist for science vacancies to get a feel for what qualifications you need to become a scientist and how much science jobs pay. Academic careers are advertised on http://www.jobs.ac.uk