Sign in to follow this  
~Jonathan~

Favourite guitarists?

Townsend for his windmill, Paige for epic performance, Hendrix for genius and have to mention Jack White for pure rawness.

Listening to Robert Plant and The strange Sensations new album, Mighty Rearranger..tis pretty damn good for an old timer. Stones take note!!

The Rolling Stones were never that good anyway.

Ill have to give The Strange Sensations a spin.

Do you know what I like about Queen?

Me neither.

For better glam rock go straight to David Bowie, or even T Rex.

Edited by Gilbo

James Hetfield - Metallica is probably my fave, I could do a top list and will ponder on that .. will be all heavy metal though cos I'm a total rock chick!!!

hi there gemma half of palgem here

for those of us who are of a younger generation my favourote guitarist is matt bellamy from muse he does things with a guitar i never thought were possible

my list of top guitarists would all be rock guitarists too!

bye for now gemma :notworthy::notworthy:

Just stumbled on Dragonforce, the funniest band I've heard in ages - ridiculously fast heavy metal (they call it 'extreme power metal' :blink: ). Since the keyboard player discovered the 'harpsichord' setting, they sound like some old prog band (ELP, Enid, etc.) played way too fast (at 78 rpm for us oldies). If you go to their site (dragonforce.com) their latest single plays automatically, and you can watch videos of a stunningly dyspraxic stage show. As far as I can tell they've all been on the ritalin way too long :lol: and maybe ought to cut down on the caffein too :wacko:

Gilbo - if you can manage to join it, dimeadozen has some brilliant early Elvis B) torrents. Well worth checking out :thumbs:

James Hetfield - Metallica is probably my fave, I could do a top list and will ponder on that .. will be all heavy metal though cos I'm a total rock chick!!!

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention Hetfield.. He's done some amazing guitar work, the speed he plays in Justice For All (notably Dyers Eve) is nigh-on incomprehensible. I also have to agree with others on the works of Gary Moore and Mark Knopfler.. Love them both. Quite like what I've heard of Joe Satriani and Paul Weller, but unfortunately that's not a great deal thus far.

Chris DeGarmo also deserves homage, notably for his work in Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime.

Just stumbled on Dragonforce, the funniest band I've heard in ages - ridiculously fast heavy metal (they call it 'extreme power metal' :blink: )

Dragonforce are.. not good. A better example of Power Metal would be Helloween's Time of the Oath or Sonata Arctica's Reckoning Night.. although Sonata Arctica lean more toward prog metal now. Either way, Dragonforce are more like Power Metal with far too much emphasis on the genre's defining characteristics. There's fast tempos and melodic vocals, and then there's being silly.

Roine Stolt from The Flower Kings is an excellent guitar player but only really like one of their albums and that's Retropolis. The two Transatlantic albums which he's played on, SMPTe and Bridge Across Forever further showcase his prowess. For a good Satriani recording, I would say buy the Live in San Francisco dvd - stunning!

Edited by ~Jonathan~

Brian may is probably my fave guitarist,im a huge Queen fan! :band:

Lindy-loo

Yep has to be our Brian he is god.With Queen and Paul Rodger he was fab and when we saw him on his our he was fab what a man. :notworthy:

Lisa

Just stumbled on Dragonforce, the funniest band I've heard in ages - ridiculously fast heavy metal (they call it 'extreme power metal' :blink: ). Since the keyboard player discovered the 'harpsichord' setting, they sound like some old prog band (ELP, Enid, etc.) played way too fast (at 78 rpm for us oldies). If you go to their site (dragonforce.com) their latest single plays automatically, and you can watch videos of a stunningly dyspraxic stage show. As far as I can tell they've all been on the ritalin way too long :lol: and maybe ought to cut down on the caffein too :wacko:

Gilbo - if you can manage to join it, dimeadozen has some brilliant early Elvis B) torrents. Well worth checking out :thumbs:

Dragonforce are great,they do have some music not so heavily power based-Starfire for instance.

Have a look out for Dream Theater,they're prog metal but include other metal elements [thrash,rap..],they both remind me of Iron Maiden in terms of guitaring.

I have mixed feelings about Dream Theater (yet still own 5 of their albums..), but it has to be said; Love in a Space Dye Vest is possibly the greatest work of Prog Metal to be composed.

OMG, Nemo...someone else who remembers the Enid!! :clap:

I absolutely loved them when I was in my teens, seeing them whenever I could...

BUT, then I went to see them at UCL Students Union when I was in my 20's, and :crying::crying:

They were awful!! And I really wished that I'd just kept them as a halcyon memory of my youth!! :lol:

Anyone remember the version of 'Wild Thing' they always did as their encore??

Boho :wacko:

Anyone remember the version of 'Wild Thing' they always did as their encore??

The lead keyboard player/singer claimed he wrote 'Wild Thing' - but then he also claimed to written everything the Enid ever did, which is why the rest of the band quit :lol: . That was why the band suddenly went pear-shaped (as did the main man, I seem to remember). :P

I too have mixed feelings about Dream Theater even though I too own several albums of theirs. Check out Transatlantic. They were a prog rock supergroup that recorded two albums I've previously mentioned; SMPTe and Bridge Across Forever. The drummer of the group is Mike Portnoy, drummer with Dream Theater. Both albums are brilliant.

Oh dear, Dragonforce ... dodgy, don't even go there, guitarist (oriental guy) has great hair though .. much like Jon Myung of Dream Theater .. I was front row at one of their gigs at 8 months pregnant - John Petrucci was gorgeous close up and seemed to know what he was doing with that guitar of his!

I prefer System of A Down for music that is not afraid to change its tempo these days.

Hank's got a gorgeous tone and I like the way he plays the guitar. Unfortunately, I'm not all that struck on his music, either solo or the stuff he did with The Shadows.

hi gemma here

i agree i hate it but i grew up having to listen to it and dire straits

i put it just o see what response it would get