DaisyProudfoot

Our LP collection is officially cool!

Our 15 year old son was going through our LP collection at the weekend and remarked that we had some really cool stuff there ....... :thumbs: he then started off listening to Pink Floyd before ending up with The Clash....and has even dusted off the turntable in his bedroom ..... it's an old stereo of ours ..... so he can listen to more :D

We then looked through it ourselves .... we'll have to transfer it all to CD so we can listen to it in the car ......I'd forgotten how good LP sleeves were ..... especially some of Led Zepp's albums.

We've gotten so used to listening to Planet Rock on DAB that we'd forgotten our own music existed!

I think a bit of nostalgia time is in the offing

Daisy, it's true, LP sleeves were part of the great thing about vinyl records. I remember a friend of mine many years ago did his disertation for his degree on record covers.

Aaaah, them were the days. I remember when it were all fields :P

Lauren

Hi Daisy,

Your record collection sounds like mine!

Talking about record sleeves, my favourite ever was Alias of Sunhillo, a Jon Anderson album. The sleeve was fantastic shame it got nicked when our house was burgled. I think the art work was by Roger Dean. He did the covers for Yes as well - fantastic. I have a book of his art work, it is brilliant.

SV

Hi Daisy,

The sleeve was fantastic shame it got nicked when our house was burgled.

Grrrrr...tell me about it, we had about ?500 worth of CDs nicked about ten years ago when our house was burgled, and the stereo........some of them CDs you just can't get in the shops anymore...probably on ebay or something!

Hi Daisy,

Your record collection sounds like mine!

Talking about record sleeves, my favourite ever was Alias of Sunhillo, a Jon Anderson album. The sleeve was fantastic shame it got nicked when our house was burgled. I think the art work was by Roger Dean. He did the covers for Yes as well - fantastic. I have a book of his art work, it is brilliant.

SV

Hi SV - Can't remember the artwork, but i DID borrow the album off a mate once, and what was inside the sleeve was ###### awful!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: Loved Roger Dean, though - had several posters of his on my bedroom wall - Along with one of Captain Kremmen and Karla on the door! My fave pieces of sleeve art were for an album by Dalis Car called 'The Waking Hour' and the original 'Tommy' album. Cd art is getting better, but it'll never be quite the same... And all that stuff about vinyls 'warmth' aside (which is true, but the drawbacks outweigh the benefits) - there was something sort of 'sexy' about playing a piece of vinyl for the first time, wasn't there (well except during the oil crisis years when vinyl was absolutely cr*p - I had to take 'Wish you were here' back four times before finally getting a copy that played all the way through!)

Sorry.... waffling again!

Olias of Sunhillo :lol::lol::lol:

My two favourite covers in my LP collection (rendered into a very small lump of slag when my car was stolen and burnt :crying: ) were:

Ogden's Nut Gone Original Flake Tobacco by the Small Faces - a circular sleeve that looked like a giant tin of baccy; open the first layer and it was the baccy (and a fly) in the tin, second, third and fourth layers :blink: were a hodge-podge of late 60's psychedelia where the art director was obviously too out to lunch to stand up, let alone make a decision :lol:

Warrior On The Edge Of Time by Hawkwind which folded out into a large shield with Michael Moorcock's 8-arrowed chaos symbol on (just found out that Quark Strangeness and Charm, their best album, is no longer available :shame: )

But then there was the Oil Crisis, the World Vinyl Shortage( :lol: ), the National Talent Shortage and the music business budgetary cutbacks because they were making more money than ever and we ended up with CD covers as inspired as NOWn+1.

When I were a lad... :whistle:

Baddad,

OOOOH I cant do quotes but this is what you said:

Olias of Sunhillo :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Are you laughing at my music taste (in my teens I hasten to add) I used to love all the Jon Anderson and Yes stuff - can't listen to it now tho :( too chaotic.

I used to wear a badge with YES written on it - the Roger Dean design - 70s writing. A lot of blokes in night clubs misunderstood that badge and I was too naive to see the problem!

BTW when you highlight :lol::lol::lol::lol: they go manic, its quite entertaining when your bored and are trying to avoid doing some uni course work.

I remember taking Dark Side of the Moon back lots of times because of a strange squelching sound on the first track, I dont think I ever got one that didnt have it so it was probably supposed to be there.

SV Im cool really B)

i miss LPs,cds are not the same,i remember there was a 7" which was a little single and wasent there a 45"which was a longer version of a single like a remix? im getting all nostalgic now,my fave LP ever was colour by numbers by culture club,i loved every single song on that,i used to listen to that while eating me bread and dripping,agree with lauren,the good ole days!

my mum had a meter for the tele and electric and we used to cut up LPs and singles to the shape of coins and use them to top up the meter!the good ole days :lol::lol:

elanor :lol::lol: i think you are cool!im not allowed to play will young :notworthy::notworthy: in front of steve as will :notworthy: is soooooo uncool!

I used to wear a badge with YES written on it - the Roger Dean design - 70s writing. A lot of blokes in night clubs misunderstood that badge and I was too naive to see the problem!

BTW when you highlight :lol::lol::lol::lol: they go manic, its quite entertaining when your bored and are trying to avoid doing some uni course work.

SV Im cool really B)

1 - I had a 'Gordon is a Moron' (Jilted John) badge... some enormous bloke came up to me in the Tropicana and said "Oi - My names Gordon". I said "I rest my case..." Don't know how i survived my teens :lol::lol:

2 - tried it, and they do... WOW!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

3 - Don't doubt it for a minute (well apart from Jon Anderson vocals) ;)

L&P

BD :D

1 - I had a 'Gordon is a Moron' (Jilted John) badge... some enormous bloke came up to me in the Tropicana and said "Oi - My names Gordon". I said "I rest my case..." Don't know how i survived my teens :lol::lol:

2 - tried it, and they do... WOW!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

3 - Don't doubt it for a minute (well apart from Jon Anderson vocals) ;)

L&P

BD :D

I bet that was a bad time to be called Gordon!

Can you remember Jilted John appearing on Coronation Street, he was left waiting outside a cinima when Gail didn't turn up.

Jon Anderson has a fine voice, just hasnt found the right songs yet :P

I was once bridesmaid at a wedding for a couple called Gordon and Julia :D

Oops! Just in case that came out as a bit random and unconnected, Gordon is the bloke that John was jilted for and the girls name in the song was Julia. I'm sure you all knew that :P but just in case!

Edited by Lauren

I have Karma Chameleon on a picture disc, but the pokey bit from the middle of the record player pokes up through Boy George's neck, and it looks painful. I also have a ltd edition 12" version on gold vinyl of "Gold" by Spandau Ballet.

. . . I have some good stuff too, but now my record player is broken and plays everything at 45rpm :(

I do enjoy the Clash, especially Lost In The Supermarket, as I work in one!

I've been dusting off The Jam this week, after Paul Weller won a Brit award.

Edited by Tally

i miss LPs,cds are not the same,i remember there was a 7" which was a little single and wasent there a 45"which was a longer version of a single like a remix? im getting all nostalgic now,my fave LP ever was colour by numbers by culture club,i loved every single song on that,i used to listen to that while eating me bread and dripping,agree with lauren,the good ole days!

my mum had a meter for the tele and electric and we used to cut up LPs and singles to the shape of coins and use them to top up the meter!the good ole days :lol::lol:

LPs are not discontinued yet ,it's the most common format that electronic music is sold on,other genres are still sold on vinyl,places like Vinyl Exchange in Manchester is a good place to get the classics from.

It costs around ?3.99 to ?7.99 for UK vinyl singles now,white labels [can commonly be found in shops such as HMVs larger stores,Reflex,Spin inn and HTFR] tend to cost more due to having less of them printed than those signed to labels.

Can you remember Jilted John appearing on Coronation Street, he was left waiting outside a cinima when Gail didn't turn up.

Jon Anderson has a fine voice, just hasnt found the right songs yet :P

1 - Yes i do... And he now uses the stage name John Shuttleworth, and appears on the radio quite a lot (organ and songs) A couple of years ago he did 'Pigeons in flight/I want to hold you tonight' a fanciers lament to his lost homing pigeon...

2 - Well as a songwriter, that's probably his OWN fault isn't it?! And the lyrics... God! the lyrics :lol::lol::lol:

1 - Yes i do... And he now uses the stage name John Shuttleworth, and appears on the radio quite a lot (organ and songs) A couple of years ago he did 'Pigeons in flight/I want to hold you tonight' a fanciers lament to his lost homing pigeon...

2 - Well as a songwriter, that's probably his OWN fault isn't it?! And the lyrics... God! the lyrics :lol::lol::lol:

Ok OK I admit defeat, I cant defend him anymore. Maybe he should have let Rick Wakeman write all his songs :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes I confess right now I was a Rick Wakeman fan................. and Steve Hillage B)

Thank God punk appeared when it did, thats all I can say.

Did Jilted John also appear on a recent episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, I think he was in one of those line ups where they have to spot the true performer.

My brother introduced me to all that 'progressive' music, now he's a Madonna and Kylie fan - mid life crisis I think :rolleyes:

SV

Now, Rick - that's a different kettle of fish and no mistake. Brilliant!! (Pity about the new stuff though!) Nearly saw him in Florida on my honeymoon - he was playing at the tuppaware centre (honestly!!), but sadly we couldn't get tickets on the (first night) Saturday and we flew home on the Sunday...

Jon did do a couple of tracks on RW's solo projects, but mainly contented himself with ruining Vangelis' albums :lol::lol::lol:

and punk... whats yer poison - Devo's 'are we not men?' or Damned's 'damned damned damned'

Was it skids who did 'faces'?

Ena Sharples.......David Hunter.......Leonard Rossiter.......Stanley Ogden....

Albert Tatlock!

Albert Tatlock!

Albert Tatlock!

:D

BD,

I say punk but really I suppose it was more the new wave stuff that came after that I liked especially Elvis Costello and the Clash. I did like a Reckless Eric single which I bought but can't remember the name of and my brother had the Damned, Ramones, Boomtown Rats and the Jam. Oh and I loved Suzie n the Banshies and of course the fantastic Patti Smith.

But Elvis C and the Clash are the only ones who've stayed in my collection and made it into my MP3 player.

I vaguely remember the Albert Tatlock song and yep we had that Devo song.

The funny thing is at the time I was also a massive Eagles fan :rolleyes:

SV

One of the Boomtown Rats lives 2 doors down from my mum and dad. I don't know his name, but it's not Bob Geldof or Pete Briquette.

Thinking I must be younger than you lot cos I haven,t a clue who your talking about.My LP,s are all 80,s new romantic stuff.Human league, soft cell, tears for fears, duran , culture club, very bad,I then went on to much worse.............The Housemartins...........scritti politti.......before I got into Talking Heads ...THE THE.....then I had a thing for Matt Bianco and everything but the girl.............then I went completely the other way and went through my Art student phase listening to Lou Reed and Iggy Pop..............I can,t believe I,m admitting to these terrible indiscretions.........I took the music so seriously that I very often mirrored the hairstyle :blink: ..........had the old Phil Oakley fringe...........and the Matt Bianco quiff :lol:

Oh Suze...not the baggy trousers, flowing scarves and little white boots ... didn't they wear leg warmers as well?

"Don't you want me baby...don't you want me ... woahhhhh?"

Errrr...just to make it perfectly clear Ur hum... that song was not directed at Suze :P

Although that is not to say that I do not respect the orientations of those who choose to take up these arrangements :)

Right - backtracking for a mo...

Jilted John - Does anyone else remember the B SIDE to 'Jilted John', 'I love Sharon'?

IMHO it knocked spots off the A-side - perfectly captured the feeling of young love on a council estate budget... these will not be perfect (memory's not what it vwas!) but lyrics went something like this...

I've never been very lucky with girls

But then i'd never met Sharon

Now i have and we're in Love

'Cos we've been going out for two - oo months

Yeah yeah i love Sharon

Yeah yeah She loves me

yeah Yeah we love each other

And we're so happy

I see her on wednesday's and saturdays

And on Sunday Afternoons

On Wednesday's sharon goes baby sitting

For her mum's friend, Mrs higgins

And i go with her to watch telly

The kids are horrible - the house is dead smelly

But it's all worth it 'cos when they got to bed

We start snogging on the so-o-fa

Yeah yeah i love Sharon

Yeah yeah She loves me

And we're so happy

Then on saturday nights we go

To the bus shelter at the end of our road

we sit in it and mess about

and then we go and buy some chips

Yeah yeah i love Sharon

Yeah yeah She loves me

And we're so happy

Yeah yeah i love Sharon

Yeah yeah She loves me

And we're so happy

[Fade]

---------------------------------------

Now, is it just me, or is that beautiful????

L&P

BD

Daisy........ha ha ha..........Some of the things I did in the name of fashion...well I could only discuss them on here, cos I can remain anonymous.I actually did,nt have white boots mine were red.......I did however follow the Human League school of fashion make-up.........highlighter everywhere and black eyeliner drawn in a sweep up the side of my eyes, even went as far as phil and drew in a beauty spot.Also used to get terrible crushes on boys who wore make-up..........one lad in the 6th form used wear eyeliner and play in a band.........I became a scary stalker for a while..........followed him everywhere.Oh well ho hum.those were the days or not :lol: ............sorry because I,ve gone terribly off thread now sorry..........I love a little nostalgia............oh the glory days :dance: .............sorry but just had to add.......my dd was looking through some old photos yesterday she came across a picture of me when I was about 15.She screamed :o ............"aaaaaahhh.......whose that??????"...........it was me dressed in my fave black and yellow striped t-shirt dress .........hair back combed to high heaven ...........black ripped fish nets.........black fingerless lacey gloves.....enough costume jewery to sink a battleship..........black chukka boots...........dog collar(oh yes :huh: )...........black eye make-up and snarling ..........and my mum used to let me out to the school disco like that.........shocking.

:lol::lol::lol: When I was a teen I used to wear copious amounts of stinky hippy juice (patchouli oil) and my mum wouldn't let me hang my bikers jacket on the banister with everyone else's coats because she said I always "smelled mouldy" ... lovely mum.

Thanks for that image of your teen years, cheered me up! Just trying to imagine a wasp with big :bounce::bounce: ... hee, hee, hee

Sadly the reality is,nt quite so :bounce::bounce: , the true is in fact alot flatter......which is why I insisted my alter ego in the bat cave had big bouncy :bounce::bounce::lol: