Sign in to follow this  
pingu

thyroid issue

Hi everyone.

As some of you may know, i am not a regular visitor at the doctors surgery, if the kids need to go thats ok, but i never tend to go myself. I have IBS and as much as the phychologist would love to argue there is not much else apart from that, BUT. The other week my friend asked if i was anorexic, as i appear to be loosing weight.. I defended myself by saying that i eat loads, (which i do) and i certainly wasnt anorexic, but i had just had a really rough time with the IBS. (4 days 35++poo's) and up until then i always assumed that my bad moods, irritability etc was down to the fact that all my spare time (which isnt much) was spent in the loo. This is what restrics me going out (mostly, other reason i dont like crowds), But my friend, who had an overatctive thyroid, advised me to see my G.P for a blood test as she thinks my "whole being" at present is excactly what she went through before she was diagnosed.

My symptoms are, Going to the loo more, Rages, Feeling cold, Loosing weight, My hairs falling out, feeling like i havent slept (at all) oh the list goes on.... BUT im scared the doctor will just say im Depressed (which i probably am But im dealing with that) and put me on prozac again !! :huh:

I had a colonoscopy (camera and butt needed) and that revelead my bowel was going into spasm, before this i had a hysterectomy at 28 (i had pre cancerous cells and lots of probs) and they had to detatch my bowel from the womb, which caused more scarring, which in turn is what causes the flare ups (runs). And to cut a long story short, things havent been right since. :crying:

I read about thyroid problems on the net, and i know i should go to get it checked but i really dont want to face the doctors just now (kieran and the MMR experience really got to me) I was just interested if anyone had a thyroid problem, what are the things you first noticed???? :whistle:

Thanks for your time.

Shaz

(Btw. Kieran is doing ok after the doc gave him the MMR (by mistake) he has had a couple of "high temperature days" but otherwise fingers crossed its been a week today :huh:

signs of underactive thyoid are weight can be nuetral, hair loss, sleeping alot. Over active is you need very little sleep are always on the go very thin

jen

ah i may be able to chunner on this topic................... :(

sorta got ibs, well got dx with ovarian cyst after 5 yr of being told was IBS - cyst gone but still IBS symtoms

and i can certainly blather about thyroid, xcept mines underactive. ( bit like me lately)

theres plenty of info online - cold/ hair loss/ sluggish/irritability etc are HUGE warnings ( which get mistaken for lots of things) dare i say - oft matched to depression - which is probably what the local GP will latch onto like a shot! :huh:

another wee pointer - and it aint good news - is about 30% of of thyroid issues wont show up on blood tests :whistle: which means doc will latch back onto the depression theory...........especially in view of family issues with kiddies

so --------- keep at the doc! i was undiagnosed flaming ages - till i really thought i was dying! :tearful: infact even after meds was flaming exausted and depressed ( trust me to lower teh convo tone) but its an issue really close to my heart Ggrrrrrrrrrrr

what did i notice 1st????? being knackered, ###### irritable, sleeping badly and getting fat.........all signs of depression in docs eyes!

xx pep

i have a problem with my thyroid to, i have just been for a scan and having other bits done, i got a book about the thyroid gland from the chemist and in that book your symptoms match up to graves disease, but obviously i have no idea, the doc should be able to do bloods for that i think and then you will no, if your thyroid is overactive and you have lost loads of weight as i did very quickly, the blood tests should show if its overactive they would you something for it and apparently you put the weight back on. i dont know if this makes any sense i have a toddler climbing all over me

Hi, I've got an underactive thyroid. I first went to the GP complaining of lump in my throat - best way I could describe it - being tired and cold all the time, and I was referred to an endocrinologist and then put on tablets. My friend found out she had an overactive thyroid - she lost a lot of weight (I put on heaps!) and she found her muscles would often go into spasm or lock, ie if she crouched down to get something off a low shelf she found she was sort of 'locked' in place and couldn't straighten up very easily. Put simply, it was like my system was slow and sluggish and hers was racing.

My understanding is that it's all about getting the balance right, and if your thyroid is out of balance - over or underactive - then it can start to impact elsewhere in the body. I have annual blood tests, and was tested regularly during and after pregnancy.

Once they get the balance right, it's mainly plainsailing, but it's getting the balance that's the tricky bit, and that's best done through blood testing AND clinical assessment, ie how you feel not just what the blood says. Start with the GP, if he/she seems dismissive, request a referral.

It's not a horrible thing to have, once it's under control, and you could qualify for exemption from prescription charges.

Good luck!

I had graves disease( over active thyroid) at 17 yrs and my symptoms were, loads of energy, iritabilty, heavy periods, racing heart, couldn't stand heat,sweaty palms,shaking hands,goingto loo a lot.

I eventually had to have most of my thyroid removed at 20yrs( an extreme case). As a result I went underactive at 35yrs. Symptoms were Tiredness,iritability,odd periods, slight weight gain noticed more in my face which was puffy looking,always cold,thining hair,constipation.

I am 41 now and since then I take one tablet daily which keeps it under control, although lately I think my meds may need increasing.

I hope this helps.

Theresa

Edited by asereht

I have an under active thyroid which gp said is normal at the moment but it is on the low side of normal at 0.56 i wish he would up my meds but he wont. I feel like **** at the moment very tired, dizzy and constipated. sure signs. also i am very cold all the time. just what u need with an as child to care for.

banging head against brick wall comes to mind.

:(

After reading all this i think i better get myself down the quacks!

I am tired all the time, don't sleep well, have out on weight and no matter how hard i try i can't lose it and to top it of i am always bleedin cold :crying:

It don't rain but it pours....... :wallbash:

I wish Id got the 'lost loads of weight' symptom. I had a really OVER active thyroid ...but PUT ON three stones!!! No fair..rare but happens!

Had a totalthyroidectomy at 32 and been on the tablets ever since.

Some doctors find it hard to diagnose, told me I had a virus for two years straight!

Good luck! >:D<<'>

Redberry

I know what you mean

Some doctors find it hard to diagnose, told me I had a virus for two years straight!

Good luck!

Ive been backwards and forwards for 8 years, and have been told its depression/IBS Oh and yes lets not forget All in my head !! :angry:

They are probably right though which is why i havent made an appointment yet, I really dislike doctors, but i know i have to go :tearful: .

I would be happy if i was warm, i wouldnt moan at all if i could stay warm :whistle:

Shaz

I have a borderline underactive thyroid and my hubby suffers really bad with IBS. the symptoms you list can be attributed with IBS, j lost a heck of a lot of weight, and suffered sweats and felt the cold as for hair loss well he hasnt got any anyway (blesshim) sleepness nights, he was obbsessed about how many times a day he went to the loo (40 + a day) and gets like this with each flare up. He was tested for hyperthyriodism (over active thyroid) at my suggestion but was clear.

Other symptoms of hyperthyriodism is bulging eyes, a goitre (lump in middle lower section of the neck) and palpatations, these can come both types of thyroid disease and let me tell you they are no fun!

A good tip tho should you decide to be tested is have the blood test done if poss in the afternoon, as levels of thyoxine can be difficult to detect in the morning, and take your temperature immediatly on waking, if it is low then do consider being tested.

good luck x

thank you Niki >:D<<'>

Thats really valuable info, I can go to the loo up to 10 times a day, so your hubby has my sympathy. ive lived with it for that long, But something doesnt feel right. unless its a worsening of I.B.S symptoms, which is a posibility. I dont have bulging eyes and there are no lumps, but my temperature is low on a morning (my friend suggested this also)

I also have a problem with healing. Ive always had dodgey skin, and tiny cuts take a long time to heal, now ive got this horrendous spot type thing behind my ear, its been there for a couple of weeks, it keeps getting a crusty bit, but before it gets chance to heal it breaks and its all sore :huh: So i know the doctors surgery is inevitable, but :crying: i really dont want to be told yet again its all in the bonce :shame:

I know i wont know until i go, but the last time i went (same reasons) i was told to learn to 'live with it'

So thats what ive been trying to do, but im so low on energy and .... well.... spirit really, God knows how my poor hubby copes with my moods, i keep flying off the damn handle and its really no ones fault (except mine) :oops:

Anyway Thanks again.

Take care

Shaz

i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism(underactive)when my eldest was about a year old(she's now 18)...i had no periods,very bad mood swings,feeling cold,course hair and skin,also leaking nipples!!i'm now on 175mcg of thyroxine daily and apart from blood tests every year i'm pretty much healthy(apart from a bad back,ibs and the stress of looking after 4 kids,the youngest with asperger's).my advise 2 you is 2 go and see ur gp,u need 2 b healthy for ur kids sake.xx

I just got my scan results back i have a multiple nodule goitre, i lost so much weight stane and a half in two weeks, and then it has continued going down i was 9 stone 10 last summer i am now 7 stone 10, and its still going down. the dc says i should have it removed. i dont want to put 2 stone on though, and i have more energy since my neck swelled up

lotty i am really worried about your post. Fair enough you may have more energy (lucky you) but the long term health hazards are horrendous if not treated early enough, an over active thyoid or graves disease is not just to do with the thyroid it interferes with the pituitary gland in the brain, this is responsible for hormonal changes, it can cause you to go thru early menopause, and in some women give all the menopausal symptoms, but the most concerning is it makes the heart race, which CAN lead to heart problems and later down the line heart attacks. I am not saying it will happen but please be extremly careful and make an INFORMED choice by refusing the operation.

Take care of yourself.

lotty I know im going to sound like a hypocrite in saying this (me not having made an appointment yet to sort my "suspected problems" out) but i have to agree with Niki. And the only reason i say this is, my friend told me she thought i had thyroid problems, after recognising the symptoms as she suffers from this too.

She was forced to have her thyroid gland destroyed after she became incredibly ill, this has sent her 'the other way' and she now takes thyroxine to control the symptoms. But she didnt want to have the op as she 'didn't feel too bad' and even went so far as saying she felt the best that she had in ages (barring the hair loss) It was the doctor at the hospital that told her without the procedure she could risk serious damage to her heart, she was alrady very ill, but just carried on (as you do). We were all there for her when she went through it, and i promise we will all be there for you, so please go and see your doctor, and think about the future.

Take care hun.

Shaz

:sick: I promise i will go to the gp too :whistle:

I just got my scan results back i have a multiple nodule goitre, i lost so much weight stane and a half in two weeks, and then it has continued going down i was 9 stone 10 last summer i am now 7 stone 10, and its still going down. the dc says i should have it removed. i dont want to put 2 stone on though, and i have more energy since my neck swelled up

Lotty :(

I totally agree with the other concerns that have been posted on here.

Really dangerous to leave thyroid unchecked!

Your heart, blood calcium levels and state of mind can all be affected negatively. The energy that you feel is 'false' its like drinking ten esspresso coffees and taking amphetimines yes you get the buzz but at a real cost to your body. :fight:

think on lass!

>:D<<'> redberry

I am going to find out the results of a thyroid scan today but I know they will say everything is alright btu I have been backwards and forwards for years with severe tremor (which does run in family not this bad), irritabiltiy, bed sleep, followed by overwhelming exhaustion, night sweats reallyheavy periods, IBS, Raynauds...

Now I am on prozac bu this made the tremor even worse so I havereduced the dose and the anxiety and lethargy are returning. can'tbeat onefor making the other worse.