Tilly

World Book Day

Today is world book day at the two schools where my daughters go.

The idea is they can dress up as their favourite character from a book. I got to know this at 4.15p.m on Monday afternoon. So its been a mad dash and late nights to get two costumes made for this morning.

I was really pleased with the outcome. The eldest went as a playing card from the Alice in Wonderland and dd2 was the little princess in I Want My Potty - complete with crown and green potty. :)

The two costumes only cost 49p. Oh and a bottle of Kalms, and the white tablecloth has now gone :oops:

Did anyone else have to dress up. I'd love some ideas ready for next year.

Oh the joys of motherhood

Tilly

No my sons school hasn't done this, thankfully as he like being in uniform, even non uniform days can be chaos. My son tends to only read factual books and I can't imagine how I'd make a fish outfit, and thats if he'd wear it.

They have a had a book fair in all week, with extremely overpriced books :blink:

Edited by lil_me

Last time this came up I was dreading it as my son hates dressing up. The topic was nursery rhyme characters, so we ran through all of the roles for boys that he might like (and that i might be capable of producing), and came up blank. Eventually he agreed to be a soldier - so we went for the grand old duke of york. I bought some gold brocade and sewed it down his trousers and jacket (and I really don't do sewing - this is a mark of how desperate I was to produce something he was prepared to wear!) And to top it off, I bought a plastic sword in the pound shop (I figured that school deserved that for putting us through it).

And he was sick on the day and couldn't go to school.

And to top it off, I bought a plastic sword in the pound shop (I figured that school deserved that for putting us through it).

Zaman :lol::lol:

Tilly

YES!!!!

It's such a big deal for our kids, isn't it? C has always hated and dreaded it. Even if he goes in uniform himself (and stands out...) he really struggles with the change and with recognising people. He will only ever go as 'a normal person' (his words -- a bit ironic, really). No fantasy characters, no animals, and definitely no wizards.

Today, though, he's happily gone as a heroic teenage racing driver from a book called 'Hover Car Racer' (truly dire book, full of league tables and race times, but fiction of a sort). He decided to go as 'Jason before he was famous', so just ordinary scruffy clothes, and an old ELC racing helmet tucked under one arm. God help anyone who asks for a resume of the plot, they'll be listening for hours!

Younger son (NT, overactive imagination) is more of a problem. The worst year was when he wanted to go as a pancake, and only told me that morning. Then there was Stig of the Dump, who only wears a loincloth (in February!); a monster from Where the Wild Things Are (was told to take it off as he was terrifying the Reception kids); and the Very Hungry Caterpillar...

Our school haven't done this.....thankfully....my boys hate dressing up. We got round it at our last school by William going as Just William 3 years running! :P

Lauren

Yep our primary school have done this every year. Both children have refused to dress up and it hasn't bothered them at all. Bothered me a bit at first I must admit but couldn't give a monkeys now :lol: When a teacher asked dd why she hadn't dressed up she replied I don't read :P

my boy didnt quite get it -

when asked to be a character from a book - he thought about it and announced he wanted to be "horror " from the pagemaster (film) - this was because he interpretted the phrase - character from a book to mean a character made from a book -

So i had to construct a large card book and pait him geen and give him chains to rattle - they didnt quite see the irony of it at his school at the time - but I knew where he was coming from - and i never quash his creativity - - mind you - this year he forgot to tell us till the night before and announced he wanted to be a dragon - so i was up all night constructing a dragons costume from a stack of green and brown felt I had - - made a smock type design with a tail on the back and a belly stuffed with tissue - and made a mask and ears for his head -

i was dreading if it rained - coz the whole thing - ( which although looked pretty good if i do say so myself) was made from felt and loo roll, would have been hillarious to see though!!

Remember my daughter having this when she was in primary - and going as Pippi-long stockings. However, no-one knew who she was so she got quite annoyed and refused to dress up the following years!!

jb, I know Pippi Longstocking :o I Love her :thumbs: ! We lived in america for a couple of years and I really miss pippi longstocking :D

Lauren

J's school has done this for the first this year (new head) and he has gone as Alex Rider - which was fine as it only involved a black shirt and black jeans - until 8:30 last night :huh:

" I need a gameboy colour and four games to go in it and a yo yo and a tube of zit cream and a map of Dozmary Mine and a tracing of the mine with the numbers on it" :o:blink:

Needless to say there went my relaxation time in front of the box! :( but I got them made! :D

my son hated this last time they did it i made a magicians costume and hat which he point blank refused to wear.

this time i thought he wouldnt but at last min said he would wear policeman hat and top what he had for xmas-i think he only wantwed to cause my younger son in nursery wanted to wear that.he only wore it though cause its now familiar with him from xmas -i couldnt of got him in a costume that he doidnt know about -hence the policeman outfit had nowt to do with his fav book but i let him do it anyway lol :P

No .... which is really unusual because they've done it every other year. Martin has always gone as a character from Lord of the Rings (it's an obsession of his) and his sis was Mary Poppins last year.

Wonder why they weren't doing it this year

By we have some very creative parents on this forum :clap::clap: and very expressive kids who know exactly what they want!

I picked dd up from her SEN school today and her teacher said dd has had a better day being a princess than her normal self :blink: But she refused to get her photo taken by us or the school.

Tilly

I cheat shamelessly I'm afraid. :rolleyes: My son was given a full Darth Vader outfit last birthday, so on every occasion requiring dressing up, that is what he goes as. I know it's stretching a point to call Darth a "book character" but as my son pointed out, his sister has loads of Star Wars novels and he features in them, so there. :lol:

Dot found the outfit she wanted, after trying on the whole dressing up box and wardrobe (now all over the floor - vishnoonoo where are you?) and then decided who she was - Djingo Django's mum (Djingo Django by Sid Fleischman). She went through Varjak Paw (black cat), Pippi Longstocking (I still call her Pippi Langstrumpf), little My and the white rabbit from Alice before she spotted the tie-dyed lurex gypsy skirt I wore to my aunts wedding 25 years ago :o .

When I was teaching we used to have to do it too - last time I went as Salman Rushdie's Shah of Blah from the 'sea of stories' - much better than satanic verses and not nearly as controversial (he's definitely better at children's books).

Com always went as Harry Potter when he was in primary school but then he used to go as Harry Potter, complete with robe, wand and scar, every day for quite some time :lol:

Sorry, family of book addicts here - usually obscure ones, Nemo's reading a book called 'sex drugs elves and einstein' because he liked the title - it's dreadful, he says don't bother but he'll still finish it, can't leave a book halfway through, you never know, it might get better in the last 5 pages :huh:

Zemanski

My boys both dressd up one batman the other spiderman. Thay will only dress up as thes charecters :( I tryed to swap spiderman for stich as it's a realy smart costum but he got upset so no go :(

My sons school has done this for the past 2 years and he goes as harry potter as it is one of his big obsessions, everyone calls him harry potter on normal school days as he talks them to death about :huh::lol::lol:

jayne xx

Sorry, family of book addicts here - usually obscure ones, Nemo's reading a book called 'sex drugs elves and einstein' because he liked the title - it's dreadful, he says don't bother but he'll still finish it, can't leave a book halfway through, you never know, it might get better in the last 5 pages :huh:

Zemanski

I've got a hubbs like that too :lol: He reads some right strange stuff. He's just recently finished reading some kind of book about the Elvish Language :wacko: as if it's real, even talks about the history of it and everything. But then hubbs is a strange one :wub:

My brother went to school dressed up as Skeletor out of He-Man. The teachers were not one bit amused. We didn't have World Book Day back then.

I wanted to turn up to school in a Fauntleroy suit. They were the height of fashion for a 10 year old back in '87. Thats 1887 and not 1987. I even had a sword to go with it.

I've got a hubbs like that too :lol: He reads some right strange stuff. He's just recently finished reading some kind of book about the Elvish Language :wacko: as if it's real, even talks about the history of it and everything. But then hubbs is a strange one :wub:

It's supposed to be about the physics of 'parallel universes' - as predicted by quantum theory, but as far as I can see they're just about as useful as Elvish :lol: (not a language i ever learnt - my closest would be Russian in a French accent :blink: )

When I was teaching we used to have to do it too - last time I went as Salman Rushdie's Shah of Blah from the 'sea of stories' - much better than satanic verses and not nearly as controversial (he's definitely better at children's books).

I used to have the Satanic Verses and thought it was a lousy book. I only bought it because it was controversial and resulted in demonstrations in the streets of Bradford. Now we have the cartoons from Denmark.

HI

A bit late this topic, but yes our school did it. DD (NT) went as red riding hood as it was the book she is reading. That was an easy costume to make. DS wanted to be a king or a soldier but I didn't trust him with a sword. So I suggested a dragon, but of course when the day arrived he was stressed that day so he went in school uniform. But I took the costume to school, just in case he wanted to. The teacher said when she showed him it he started to cry until she had put the outfit away. She was surprised as she has never seen him cry. Luckily there were other boys who hadn't dressed up in his class so he didn't feel left out.

pim

The last time our school did dress up for book day, was when Harry Potter was everywhere. My three were totally Potter obsessed and had the robes anyway so it wasn't too bad. They'd dressed up for the cinema when the film opened and they looked fab.

My youngest was Moaning Myrtle, complete with full uniform, tie and lots of talc. My other daughter was Hermoine, who she actually looks a lot like anyway and my son (AS) had to be Tom Riddle!! The problem being he has blonde hair and being an Aspie has to be pedantic (in the nicest possible way) and insisted that everyone would know he wasn't Tom Riddle because he's hair was the wrong colour! As if they wouldn't know anyway!!! In the end we dyed his hair black!!!! It was murder trying to get anything Slytherin because everyone wanted to be Harry Potter. Trust him to be different, but they looked awesome all together, like something off the film set.

Lisa

For us here book day is this Thursday. Daughter wants to be Sheltie the Shetland Pony so muggins mummy is burning midnight oil to turn out a complete pony costume (bit like a pantomime horse but for one!!) Alas it's proving hard to do and pony looks more like the dragon from Shrek but in brown!!! I remember dressing up with LorryW and a teacher one year as threes chickens from Fantastic Mr Fox. Complete with a parade into assembly. I don't think there are any photos remaining............?!?! Love Kat