lisa35

going on and on!

My son is 10 and we re currently waiting for furher assessemnt ? traitts of aspergers and auditory processing difficu;ties

Just wondered does anyone elses child go on and on and on , argue for aaageees about same subject, hes like a dog with a bone sometimes and exhausts us, any tips? Or as Im relatively knew to all this, is there a particular reason a childwith asd would do this, it may help me understand?

Thanks

Lisa

yeah my son is also like that,sometimes he will still be going on about it days later :wub: i dont know if its an asd thing but i do know it drives me mad :wub:

Yes, it's a definate ASD trait. Both of my boy's go on and on and on and on, I have to be quite firm with them and tell them that I am happy to discuss things for a certain length of time but I refuse to be drawn in to repeating the same conversation loop over and over. William has tried to get round this by changing the way he asks a question or disguising what he says as something else (he thinks I won't notice what he's doing, another ASD trait, lack of theory of mind :blink: )

The best way to deal with this is by giving them a time limit for a topic of conversation (unless of course it continues to be interesting) and allowing them to ask the same question no more than 3 times, on the third attempt I usually say 'I've already answered that twice, you know the answer and it hasn't changed so don't ask me again'... If they continue with the same question after I've said that I just totally ignore them. Sounds harsh but it does work.

Hope this helps.

Lauren

Yes this is as far as i am aware an a.s trait.

I myself am very guilty of it.My dh says i am still going on about things that happened ten years ago. :rolleyes:

He adopts what he calls the three strike rule.in that he will answer the same question three times then that is it, even if i word the question in a different way he has got wise to it.

From my experience many people with a.s. are like has all ready been said a dog with a bone they never give up and find it difficult to forgive and forget and often go on and on and on.

I am definately guilty of all of the above but i have learnt over years to forgive but not forget :rolleyes:

I think the excellent a.s. memory might come into play here and in this case has much to answer for. :rolleyes:

My daughter is like that all the time - and sometimes I can't help but get annoyed.

The CPN once told me it's like a record stuck in a groove and you need to make it jump and go back on track.

Most definitely as ASD thing. It's when they resurrect the subject YEARS later that gets me :o

As my husband often says: "We better make sure we get it right or we'll get: well I remember on March 2nd 2003 YOU SAID............"

That's my boy! :rolleyes:

A stuck record is a very good description of it. :rolleyes:

I must admit I don't do the dates thing I can't remember but I think from what i have read it is quite common for some people with a.s. to say in 1992 or in 1994.

It can either be annoying or quite amazing and funny. :rolleyes:

Edited by ceecee

hi,

My son (7) goes on and on and on and on! I have to try to end the conversation before it gets out of hand. Even if i try to end the conversation, he'll still go on and on and say things like, "Mummy it's very rude to ignore people" and "Mummy you are arguing with me" etc etc. Drives me bonkers!

Loulou x

Hi to all

My son definitly goes on and on about his favorite subjects (computer games mainly) he does ask questions sometimes over and over again but mainly he just talk as he knows better anyway :bat: .... and always wants to have the last word, but if I dare to ask him how was his day at school I have to hear "you already ask me this yesterday and every day it's boring!!!" :wacko::lol::lol:

Malika.

As well as the going on about things thing. Wondered if anyone else has the same way of questioning. My daughter always starts by mam, mam, mam, mam - even if I answer yes she will keep on until I have looked at her face on face - and then she'll say, 'Mam, can I ask you a question" to which I say yes, and then she'll ask the question. If another question is to follow on from my answer we have exactly the same thing again and again.

She never ever says just 'mam, where's my xxxx?'.

As well as the going on about things thing. Wondered if anyone else has the same way of questioning. My daughter always starts by mam, mam, mam, mam - even if I answer yes she will keep on until I have looked at her face on face - and then she'll say, 'Mam, can I ask you a question" to which I say yes, and then she'll ask the question. If another question is to follow on from my answer we have exactly the same thing again and again.

She never ever says just 'mam, where's my xxxx?'.

Dh and I reckon J's use of 'mam, mam, mam' is a kind of sonar homing device, just to keep checking if I'm around!

Similar to 'Can I ask you a question' I get a lot of '... and guess what happened next?' in the middle of his monologues. If I am up to it I'll try and pay attention so I can offer a sensible suggestion, if not I'm in trouble because a response of 'No idea, you tell me' just starts off a stream of 'No, go on, have a guess' that could go on for AGES! Even if I DO have a few guesses and they're wrong, he'll still want me to keep going till there's a chance I'll say the right thing. Flippin' hard when you have no idea what the monologue was about in the first place.

Karen

x

Aaaah, William does that too. Asks me if he can ask a question. It goes something like this:

William... Excuse me mum (he's so polite)

Me.... Yes

W..... Excuse me mum, um um, can I ask you a question?

Me... yes, what is it

W... right, I'm going to ask you a question, are you listening? I'm going to ask you a question

Me.... Yes, I'm listening, what is your question?

W... right, I'm about to ask you a question......

This loop can go on and on and on.... sometimes by the time we actually 'get there' he's forgot what the question is, then he goes through the process of 'playing for time'... I sometimes wonder if he actually had a question in the first place and really just wanted to have a conversation in general and couldn't think how else to initiate one.

Lauren