Sign in to follow this  
Mother in Need

PP said............

My PP lady just told me that statements (at least in secondary) are not meant for the teachers themselves, only for the SENCO, and that it is only the IEP and the Pastoral Support Plan (what does that normally entail?) that they will read. She also said that supply teachers aren't actually allowed to read the statements, due to confidentiality issues. It is the SENCO who has to make sure that measures are in place.

How can the teachers teach a child according to their needs if they don't have a clear picture?

She also said that statements are never to be read by themselves, but only in conjunction with all the reports that they are based on.

I'm sorry, but who is going to read through that much info? I thought it was the statement that should be so clear that that wasn't necessary?

She also said that it's the IEP and Pastoral Support Plan that is the one that should contain the details and be specified and quantified, not the statement.

???????????????????????

Sensory issues shouldn't be mentioned seperately, but fall under the Pastoral Support Plan...

And that Plan will be made by the SENCO only.

???????????????????????????????????????????????

I can see her point, the statement is the legal document and the iep the working document of how it will be achieved. I suppose the anwser is to put the senco on the spot and ask specific questions about the iep and the way the targets are set?

It brings home to me just how much we as parents should be involved in the iep planning process but arent in reality?

IPSEA just told me that what PP said was a load of rubbish (their words!).

Statements have to be read by teachers and supply teachers (COP 8:111 8:112), they have to be specified and quantified (8:34 8:37), sensory issues should be in parts 2 and 3, the advice is for the LEA only to use for making the statement, the statement stands by itself, statements have to be clear and unambigous, so that everyone knows what is required, when and by whom, there should be no reasonable doubt.

She also said that most (but not all) PP are pretty useless and in the hands of the LEA, most even have their offices within those departments (don't quote me on the precise wording here).

Two things that jump out at me on what you have posted.

1. We are told that PP are there to give 'arms-length' advice and support etc. If they are giving out information that is wrong, it makes you wonder how many children lose out because their parents have been mis-informed.

2. Where did the PP lady get her information :blink:

Don't be daft Annie - PP can multi task :blink:

Why only today, I met a family who were told by the PP that they should not go for Statutory Assessment because only the bottom 2% of children get them - and her son didn't fit the criteria.

Well - why are we wasting money on Peadiatricians, Ed Psychos, OT's, and SLT's - we could save ourselves a bundle - quite obviously in my neck of the woods, the PP person is the one that the LEA listen to :crying::crying:

This is not the first time I have heard that this PP person has deterred parents from applying for Statutory Assessment - eh Darky :ph34r:

yes absolutley helen!!!! in my experience pp have been about as useless as nailing jelly to a tree. impartial :lol: dont make me laff ha ha ha ha ha!!

Why only today, I met a family who were told by the PP that they should not go for Statutory Assessment because only the bottom 2% of children get them - and her son didn't fit the criteria.

:o:o

So much for being at arm's length, eh Helen? more like joined at the hip :whistle: .

What's scarey, is that PP are paid to be mediators and in a lot of cases they do the exact opposite.

well my experience of pp was that they certainly didnt seem to be "impartial" it seemed to me from the outset they were on the side of the lea and the school. all i got was a note writer, and she couldnt even do that properly. her advice on statutory assessment was we wouldnt get one. i was under the impression that the child had to be totaly unteachable to get it. then i met someone and was educated ;)

Hi Mother in Need,

As LDA to two ASD statemented year 7 girls I have to say this is incorrect. Before the girls started at the school in September we had a meeting involving SENCO, LSA (me), Head of year, form tutors and all the girls subject teachers. We all received copies of the girls learning difficulties. I was allowed to read the girls individual statements in the SENCO's office and make notes but not have a copy as they are confidential documents.

Julieann