krystaltps

Can a dog be a friend to an AS kid?

Was wondering if anyone has any experience of this. My son is 7, and he has no friends. At school he is like the invisible boy, and lately it has really started to bother him - especially when he sees his little brother and sister getting invited around to friend's houses. He is desperate for a dog, and I can see there would be real benefits, but I'm worried that he would would alienate a dog in the same way he does people. At the moment he is full of good intentions, he would feed it, play with it, look after it, even when he doesn't feel like it..... Oh, and call it Daisy >:D<<'> . My heart is going out to him, and I've told him I will look into it, it may take a long time, as we would need to find the right dog for him. If any of you have any experience of a similar situation I'd really appreciate hearing your views..... thanks,

Hi Sheena,

My son (25) was diagnosed with AS last year. At 21 he was diagnosed with depression and went through a very difficult period. We decided to get him a dog and eventually found the perfect match at Battersea, he's a golden retreiver and has been a true friend and 'helper' to my son.

It might be a good idea to 'borrow' a dog to see how your son interacts. Some children with ASD have a fear of dogs and they may not act appropriatley with them. My eldest son is autistic and was terrified of dogs when he was younger, he's 27 now and has no problems.

Have a look at the following links relating to dogs and ASD. Good luck!

http://www.ifgdsb.org.uk/job.asp?id=28&cod...8&code=00010019

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/press_office/p...ssandshadow.htm

http://www.4pawsforability.org/autismdogs.htm

Nellie xx

I would have to say yes, based on experience with M and our dog that we got last Nov, we thought it would cheer him up and it has, he carries it around like a baby and talks to it lovingly, it has given him more confidence also.

Not sure its entirely helpful because my son is only 2.5 but we have a dog and he adores it. He really comes to life when the dog is in the room and the dog loves him too and has endless patience with him.

The main things to watch for is the temperament and requirements (how much walking/grooming etc) of the dog.

I think pets are fantastic therapy.

Lynne x

We have two dogs and William interacts better with them than he does with other kids. When he talks to the dogs he is really animated and jolly, but when he talks to people he is really quiet and monotone. I think getting the dogs was great therapy for William.

Lauren

I have had this same issue with my son too (6, HFA). I had a lil Yorkie pup of 8weeks old when T was 3yrs old and at the time, it did not work out well b/c my son was VERY over excited around her and very rough (although he didn't mean to be, just didn't know how to behave really). The final straw came when T pressed down on it's back and broke it's leg, nearly breaking it's back. The poor pup was cowering away from my son and I felt it in the best interests of the pup to find a new home, which I did that next day after the vets treatment finished.

He is now 6, nearly 7 and a lot calmer, albet he still get over excited but he can be calmed and reasoned with now. He has been asking for a dog for the past year and I have researched it thoroughly inc internet searches and observing my son around other peoples dogs, etc etc. I really believe the timing is right now and we have a lil pup due to us at the end of April. He will be 8wks old at that time and I believe that T and he will make great friends. :)

Go with your instincts, if you believe hand on heart that the timing is right, go with that. Any doubts what so ever, then it's worth holding off for a bit. HTH's.

Edited by Tylers-mum

Hi,

We have 3 dogs at home, all medium-sized cross-breeds. Barry loves them all, but in different ways. Our old dog, Tyke was born the same year as Barry, but on the same date as Rhiannon was 3 years later, and he plays 'fetch the ball' with Barry. Rebel is Barry's dog and he sleeps in the bedroom with him, and Sheba is Rhiannon's dog who likes to play tuggy. the dog's characters are as varied as any 3 people would be. I have always found that if you get a dog when it's very young and give it affection, discipline and exercise, then you truly have a 'best friend'.(a bit like kids they are!)

Hope some of this drivel helps!

Tim.

:band:

I love smilies!

MY gut feeling is that he would be fine with the dog a lot of asd people relate far better to animals than nt do, not always of course, I know I do and it is clear that Temple Grandin does too with her inventing this system to prevent animal suffering the stress they do going to slaughter, that would not occur to a nt person.

We dont have a dog ourselves.

But my mum has a dog and my son loves the dog.Also a neighbour as a dog.

This neighbours dog as been a godsend.My son calls the dog his brother.It passes our house every morning to go for its walk exactly at the time my son has to leave for school many a time when my son has been playing up and refuseing to leave it is this doag that has made him go out the house to say hello and stroke it and take his mind of the tantrum.

This neighbour is fantastic with my son so patient and kind he even if my son has missed the dog takes it to see him at the pick up point where he waites so he can have his daily routine stroke.

Hi Sheena,

We bought a dog last september for exactly the same reasons. After months of looking at all the different breeds we chose a cocker-spaniel puppy (they don't bark very much and I was a little worried about any barking noises because my daughter is sensitive to sounds).

We also discussed it with her pysch.consultant - who told us that very often an animal can be good therapy for them and also be that little friend that they so much want.

So far, our daughter has been brilliant with him - she's still a little bit nervous around him when he's excited (although he's still only a puppy - he's 9mths old now) but I'm sure once he gets older and slightly (!!!) calmer she'll benefit more from him (at the moment it's my 3yr old that treats him like her friend - trying to ride him like a horse etc).

Good luck,

Jb

A lot of autistics bond very well with animals. Personally, I'm a cat person, not a dog person. I love to have my cat near to me. With cats they do not need constant attention - they are naturally solitary animals. Dogs do need more contact with people. But then you can't take a cat walkies.

Thanks all for your replies.... I am looking into the guide dog link... waiting for them to mail me back. He does have regular contact with my sister's dog - a gorgeous big labrador b**ch. He was originally jealous of the dog when my sister got her as a pup two years ago - he didn't like his auntie giving attention to someone other than him or his siblings. But we are over that now. He does frighten the dog at times - when he jumps and flaps and panics over things, and he sometimes rushes at her. So, I know it would take a very special kind of dog to bond with him. That link to the American site is fascinating - the dogs are actually trained to calm the children when they flap and do their repetitive things, and are also trained to "walk" the children - enabling older children to have some freedom. Why can't we have a service like that over here?

My experience isn't as good, my son adored my partners Dads dog, so we got one, what a mistake! My son hates him, hates his smell, his germs, his muddy paws, his dribble, oh you name it he hates it, he rarely barks, we'd had him 3 months before we heard him bark once but my son hates it if he does and because he 'might'. My son ignores him and closes doors on him. Poor dog adores him and can't understand what he's done wrong.