Sign in to follow this  
Brook

Help me to speak...

Hi all,

Thought you may be interested in this documentary that is on channel 4, it covers two programmes.

The links below give details about the programmes.

Programme 1, is about stammering. Monday 3rd April 9pm:

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/...ms/stammer.html

Programme 2, is about selective mutism. Monday 10th April 9pm.

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/...ems/speech.html

Brook

thanks for that.

I will be interested in the selective mutism one, our middle one was selective mute for 9 months aged 4, before she went quite she had perfectly normal speech. She never said a peep to anyone including us in this time, it was only after she was knocked out for a brain scan she regained speech and thats because as soon as she woke up we told her they had given her a new voice.

To this day the pychologists are saying she was 'just shy' but im convinced that this ties in somewhere to the problems she is having now,

Anyway thanks again.

take care all

shaz

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Brook

The link in there about "Autism" is really good too, as there are many people coming to this forum looking for answers not knowing much about Autism

Hailey >:D<<'>

Edited by hallyscomet

missed the first but fully intend to see the second

I'm just bumping this up as the second one is on tonight (Mon 10th) and the subject is Selective Mutism which I know interests a lot of people here - myself included.

K x

Hi

This might sound really cynical, but I wish they'd bloomin' well make a documentary about families living with ASD. Just watched the documentary on selective mutism and I'm normally the type of person touched by medical type issues, however, I found it really hard to sympathise with something that is self-inflicted as opposed to something that outwith anyones' control.

Guess I'm sounding of a bit ? I'm still battling to get a diagnosis for my son. Heard after waiting 3 very long months that CAMHS will not see him (second time in 6 months they've been asked by my son's Consultant/GP/Health Visitor). Just gets me when I see people with a lot less problems getting media coverage and medical intervention/assistance. Boy I do sound catty!!!?

C.

It was good but as usual the two kids featured were given plenty of professional help and everything turned alright in the end.

It was nothing like non-verbal autism just kids who wouldn't speak at school really. They spoke fine at home although the younger one wouldn't speak in the presence of strangers. It did take many months to help the kids move on from their selective mutism - the elder one (aged 9) being prescribed Prozac to help with his anxiety issues.

Infact it reminded me very much of myself when I was a kid I could go for days without saying a word until it got to the point that I would open my mouth to speak and nothing would come out because my throat was constricted and tight. You can't shut me up now! Although I still go very quiet when I'm depressed.