Sign in to follow this  
justamom

Messy eaters????

Are you ASD children messy eaters. My dd describes K's eating habit as a "Blender without the lid on" because that is what it looks like when he has finished eating. I know that his fine motor skills are not perfect and it makes eating/cutting with a knife and fork hard but the MESS. I have to vaccum about 4times a day... He eats with his hands alot and has to break things up, like when he has crisp he has to break them in half and then he will eat them leaving crumps everywhere...

I have just checked his bedroom and he has hoarded (because of his weight issue we are cutting down)apples and crisp in his room and it a right mess....

We could have rats up there they would feast for a week on his rubbish...

Justamom

Hi Justamom,

Yep - my daughter is exactly the same - she's 12 and she struggles terribly with a knife and fork - in fact my little 3yr old has more control - she also uses her fingers for eating - and up until recently would only eat finger foods - whereas now she will try other foods and attempt to use a knife and fork.

I know she's said before that people comment in school about the way she eats (she only goes part-time now so that's not an issue) - they say she eats like a squirrel and nibbles everything - she has to have small tiny pieces.

I now keep a towel on her bed which I've told her to put over her when she eats and fold it inwards afterwards to try an mimimise the mess!!!!!!!

We have written a big notice which we've pinned on her door so that she sees it when she leaves the room (because she always has to have the door closed!!!) which says things like:

• put empty crisp and chocolate wrappers in the bin
  • bring dirty clothes downstairs and put in wash basket
  • bring empty glasses and cups downstairs into kitchen sink
  • open curtains in morning
Mostly she doesn't take any notice - but occasionally she does - she then gets loads of praise.

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

jb1964

You could have my daughter living with you she is 10 and exactly the same!!

She is also very slow at eating, and never eats or drinks away from home, which has been a worry at school as but we all know you can't make them do something they don't want to.

Edited by Two naughty children!

My son is the same.Hes a right mess after eating.He can use a knife and fork but holds them awkwardley and finds it hard to cut food up.I also have to make sure food is just the right tempeture else he burns himself.

Sometimes he just uses his hands or will eat and lap food like a dog. Its not a pretty sight.Then combine this with the fact he hates haveing his face wiped and combine with the tissue paper napkin fears and youve had it.

He will eat out but doesnt like being watched so we turn his back on other people so he can only see us then hes the only 12 year old wandering round with all his dinner on his face.

He once poured beans over his head.God knows why we got no sence out of him.

Dont yer just love them.

Messy eater isn't in it, and never give him a cake in someone elses house :blink:

My son also won't use cutlery if he doesn't have to, the only dinner he'll have which isn't a food suitable for fingers is his pasta, but he uses his fingers anyway, what a mess he gets in off the sauce.

Got him eating jelly at the minute with a spoon himself which has taken ages, and he's had cereal a few times which I have only helped a little with but still gets messy.

Knives are impossible.

I'm glad i am not the only one with a messy eater.... My vaccum cleaner is constantly pluged in and we are always falling over it as a result of it never being put away... I did buy one of the those hand held ones but they were not strong enough....

He also likes to eat alone and not with us, he eats in the study and the carpet is taking a knock, i will have to have it cleaned in the summer...

Justamom

My asd son is terrible, he will only use his hands to eat everything, yoghurts, soup, dinners,jelly :huh:

We need raincoats when feeding him :blink: I'm going to get laminate flooring in- the carpet shrinks everytime i wash it and the hoovers i have gone through - i'm sure they make them to pack in after the years guarantee's up.

My 2yr old nt daughter's not much better, she just plays with her food and sticks it to the TV :huh:

Clare

I need laminate flooring too... would make my life much easier i think. Funny i have been though so many hoovers too because they really work over time in our house.

Justamom

Hi,

Kai is really messy when eating too. He also has to eat it all in a certain "order". Everything has to be in even numbers too, so he is a right flippin nightmare! He gets food all over his face, in his hair and everywhere else (he is 7).

The worst thing is due to his rhinitis, he can't eat with his mouth shut, so i have to endure the horrible chomping noise too! Makes me feel :sick:

Loulou x

This is really interesting.

Luke is also the world's messiest eater. He would much rather use his fingers, and will only use a fork or spoon if he really has to. It is really difficult to get hoim to stay pocussed on eating - he usually takes far longer than the rest of us, and leaves a circle of mess around him. His teacher says she can alwasy tell what Luke has had for dinner - because it ends up with it all down his uniform.

His latest thing is insisting on checking the sell by dates on everything before he will eat it. Surely this is not normal behaviour for a 6 year old ? And they are trying to tell me he does not need a diagnosis !

J loves pasta in tomato sauce.

He takes his shirt off before he eats it, because it makes him easier to wash down afterwards and doen't leave stains on his clothes. He gets absolutely covered!

Simon

K only gets dressed after his breakfast in the mornings as he gets cereal all over his shirt!! I wish i could have a bib thats big enough for a 12yr old.

God love him

Justamom

oh mines a messy eater too and dont seem botherd to wear her food on her face. i bought her a new table and chair so she can sit at the right height and got a non slip mat to put her plate on. she sits ON the table now and we are constantly telling her to sit round ON HER CHAIR. lol

Oh I can relate to this..........last night was particularly messy :huh: ...........spaghetti bolognese..............he needs a spare plate to sort out the bits he does,nt like ..........like tomato etc...........spaghetti gets cut up with scissors........so it,s smaller..20mins later...........he has tomato fingers......from sorting....tomato lips from eating..........theres bits of spaghetti everywhere........it was carnage :lol:

:o Justamom

You must have been reading my mind me and hubby have just been on about how much of a mess Char makes when and after he has eaten.If he eats a sandwich he has to break it up to eat it the same with crisps and he very rarely eats with a fork. My Three year old nephew eats with less mess than Char it's quite embaracing when we eat at other peoples houses cause I have to go find the hoover and clean up.My hoover is on at least three times a day too!!!!!

Don't ya just love em'' LOL :lol:

Lisa x