Sign in to follow this  
lotty

DLA=higher child tax credit

I am probably the last to know this but I thought I would mention it anyway. That if your child gets the higher care component in there DLA, that means you get awarded much more child tax credit. They are going to backdate mine as I had no idea about this. :D

I had no idea about this either,i am in the process of filling out my child tax credit form should i say on the form that i receive the higher rate r will they check this out themselves??

You have to tell them, phone them and tell them how long your child has been getting it, they make back date it, only by 3 months though, they gave me an address to write to to see if i could backdate it further as i told them about my son along time ago. do it now :D

it is not just higher rate,we get middle rate care and we get a disabled child premium on child tax credit,which was backdated to the date DLA was awarded,which was 5 months worth.

Edited by lindy-lou

I had same problem with Income Support - I asked them how getting dla woudl affect my IS and they told me it wouldn't, so I didn't tell them when he did get it. I eventually found out I should have be getting a lot more IS - they said they coudl only backdate it for 3 months. I wrote and complained, and I did get the rest of the money - but not for several years!

Karen

While the subject's on benefits, does anyone know how carers allowance affects the child tax credits?

I don't claim carers allowance and not sure if I want to as I was thinking that anything you get for carers allowance will be offset by the fact that it's taxable benefit and may affect the CTC?

Anyone know?

Lauren

While the subject's on benefits, does anyone know how carers allowance affects the child tax credits?

I don't claim carers allowance and not sure if I want to as I was thinking that anything you get for carers allowance will be offset by the fact that it's taxable benefit and may affect the CTC?

Anyone know?

Lauren

it hasnt affected mine either

Depens carers allowance is taxable and sometimes decreases it, but don't take it all off you

DLA isn't taxable and just get the premiums added

On income support they do count carers allowance as income but you get a premium for it so don't loose it all.

With all benefits you have to inform them yourself of any awards or changes.

Edited by lil_me

Hi Yes my Carers allowance effects our tax credits because it is classed as an income and added to my hubby's wage to create a total wage income for our house.We did work it out though and for us the amount they stop us in tax credit is far less then what we gain in Carers.

Lisa x

Hi,

you DO have to declare carers allowance to the tax credit, as they class it as income.

I learnt this the hard way, I phoned the helpline FOUR times telling them that I recieved

carers allowance, the people I spoke to didnt sound that sure to me, so I took their

names and kept a note of dates etc..

I then wrote a letter to the tax credits saying that I recieve carers allowance and on four

occassions I was told it didn't matter it's not taken into account.

A few months later I went to get my credits out of the bank and it was empty :(

when I finally got to the bottom of it, it turns out they had stopped my money because

they found out I recieved carers allowance :rolleyes:

Just as well I had alot of proof to fall back on, they found my letter and apologised,

and as it was their mistake I didn't have to repay the overpayment.

Brook :blink::D

Just a thought aswell. If you do claim carers allowance I received a form regarding pension contributions being greater or more beneficial to myself. Not sure of the details but it was beneficial to me in any case as I am not working other than careing for my son & daughter. Sorry can't elaborate on this. Will try to check up on the details.

Hi Yes my Carers allowance effects our tax credits because it is classed as an income and added to my hubby's wage to create a total wage income for our house.We did work it out though and for us the amount they stop us in tax credit is far less then what we gain in Carers.

Lisa x

we dont have an income so it doesnt affect our tax credits

NI contrbutions are paid if receiving carers allowance.

Carers allowance doesn't effect the 'child tax credit' but the 'working tax credit' if you're on income support it will effect that, they class the carers allowance as an income and deduct it, but then you get a premium on your income support, meaning you receive about ?25 extra (not checked rates for a while)

Edited by lil_me

Good grief.... after posting the question on this thread about carers allowance I filled in the online application for it that night... and got it today... the money is already in the bank :o I'd even forgot about it expecting it to take weeks.... Unbelievable.

Lauren

last year i was single parent with three kids on income support, i had no income i had carers and the income support i got was 31 pounds a week, with the premium etc, so even though it sounds like you get extra 31 pounds isnt very much. my partner who had moved somewhere else was on 56 pounds a week income support. as a single person without kids

Yeh it's pants really, I mean, carers allowance is classed as income..........how ridiculous. Shows what they think we're worth.