Can't believe it. :dance::dance:

After fighting to get M DLA since last November I have just recieved a letter to say he has been awarded it. I had asked for appeal after they turned down the reconsideration but they looked again and no need for appeal.

I cried with happiness!!

The fight was worth it for his sake.

mum22boys

Well done, and what a relief for you! It's such hard work but it's all worth it when it pays off.

Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Karen

x

Yes it a fight and we shouldn't have to do it but we do - don't we?

M was awarded middle rate personal care and lower rate mobility, which I was happy with.

Unfortunately it was only awarded for a year and a half, as it has been backdated by over 6 months (shows how long the fight was!!!) it means i have to re-apply next year. I'm hoping it won't be as difficult next time round.

mum22boys

mum22boys,

Great news :D Don't forget to check out Carers Allowance (although not sure of exact DLA rate you have to be to qualify) and also let the Tax Credit know, as it may increase.

That's excellent news :D

Congratulations..you can get carers allowance from middle care rate upwards you have to be earning less than a certain amount its around 80 pounds a week(the earnings limit that is ) but allowances can be made to earnings for certain things which will bring down the rated income also tax credits or income support get an additional disabled child element if DLA is recieved and if higher care you get a higher amount called severe disabled child element or something similar..not good on names but im sure the facts are correct. you can't get carers allowance if you are a full time student I believe which is a bit sad of the government :( but maybe they get other types of extra allowance in with grants if they still exisit or even higher loans not sure on this though.

hope the DLA makes life that bit easier for you and your family it has mine(well the 2 of us but its still a family - I feel more like an old married couple the way we nark at each other lol)

Lorraine

Congratulations! :dance::dance::dance:

If you quaify for carer's allowance, apply for it ASAP as that can be backdated too. The application process isn't quite as daunting as the DLA - no long essays to write!

K x

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> well done....my next venture too when I'm in new house

I had to keep appealing applied Dec 04 didn't actually get anything til july 05 then only low rate mobility, all the fight was gone in me then..

But, I'm ready to take them on again to get at least middle rate care as I do all personal care for dd1...wish me luck! :blink:

Cant you ask them to clarify why the award is for so short a length of time, I seem to remeber something about someone awaking them to reconsider the length of award and putting it in letter. This was extended without the need for writing another form

Thanks for your replies.

I phoned up about carers allowance. I applied at the same time as M's claim for DLA but that was over 6 months ago. Obviously at the time I was sent back a letter saying I wasn't eligible for it but there was a form on the back. unfortunately you have to respond within 3 months so i now have to fill in another form. Will I get it backdated to November do you think?

Also i told the tax credit people. Not sure if that changes anything though, does anyone know? Also if it does change tax credits will applying for carers allowance change it again? Does that make sense?

Thanks

mum22boys

mum22boys, they'll probably only back date your carers allowance for 3 months. But you can apply online and get it within a couple of days. I applied online a few weeks ago and got it 48 hours later!!!

I'm really pleased your child got the dla award, without you having to go to appeal. :D

Lauren

Since you applied for carer's allowance at the same time as for DLA you should get it backdated to November. If you don't appeal and take it to tribunal. The 3 months only applies if you failed to notify them of a change of circumstances within their prescribed time limits. You have complied with all the rules.

WELL DONE ON WINNING YOUR DLA CLAIM :dance:

In regards to your question about tax credits:-

If you get child tax credit, then notifying them of DLA award will mean that on top of the "family element" which is about ?550, and the "child element" (which you get for each qualifying child)

they also add a "disability element" and, if you get highest rate care component of DLA also a "severe disability element" for the disabled child (or children if there are more than one receiving DLA).

I think any rate of DLA makes you eligible for the disability element but best to check to be sure.

For actual figures go to tax credit web page and search for tax credit payments 2006-2007, but below is an idea.

NOTE: The family element is paid to most families unless you earn a lot (think it reduces if your income is greater than ~?30,000, and you get nothing if income ~?50,00 or more)

To work out what else you are entitled to: Add up "child element(s)" plus "disability" plus "severe disability elements" if applicable

If you earn under ~?13.910 you should get full allowance - i.e. family plus child plus disability plus severe disability figures.

If you earn over ~?13.910, per year then for every ?1 over this value, they take away 39p from the sum of the "child+disability+severe disability" value - therefore if your income is well above this you may not get any more than the family element. It used to be that you could go to tax credits site and calculate how much you were entitled to without actually applying, but the site was down last time I checked recommend to anyone to do this if they get it up and running again though.

I am NOT an expert so do not rely on this - its just guidance, but it will not be a million miles away, especially if you go online and check actual figures for this last tax year

DON'T FORGET THAT IF YOU RECEIVED DLA FOR PREVIOUS 6 MONTHS I THINK THAT YOU SHOULD GET THE RELEVANT TAX CREDIT BENEFIT FROM THAT DATE. ALSO, IF YOU LATER GET CARERS ALLOWANCE, IT COUNTS AS TAXABLE INCOME AND SO MUST BE DECLARED TO TAX CREDITS PEOPLE - IF THE ADDITIONAL INCOME FROM CA TAKES YOU ABOVE ?13,910 THEN IT WILL REDUCE THE TAX CREDITS A BIT AS EXPLAINED EARLIER; BUT CANNOT SEE THAT THE REDUCTION WILL BE MORE THAN THE AMOUNT YOU GET FROM CARERS ALLOWANCE...

hope that helps, though is probably even more confusing!

Edited by westie

Hi,

Our tax credits went up when our dd was awarded DLA. I've recently applied for Carers Allowance after putting it off for a few years....couldn't get my head around being a "carer", daft I know, anyhow, just heard today I've been awarded it, and its been backdated 3 mths. I rang the tax credits again, to let them know, and I was told our tax credit payments won't alter as we are still below our threashold, which was reassuring.

Thanks for the advice.

I have notified tax credits of the DLA and have my CA form so will fill that in as well. It all seems so confusing :blink:

mum22boys