Bagpuss

Family Days Out

Off down south in a couple of weeks....near Bath. Was wondering if anyone can suggest days out in and around this area....as chilled as poss please..dd cannot grasp the concept of a queue :lol: We are planning to go to Longleat, and hopefully spend a day in London (TBH will mainly be in the parks or tubes....dd took a huge shine to the tubes last time :D ). Thanks :D

oooh we are planning to go to Longleat in the next couple of weeks too! (have family in Marlborough!) Bristol has a Zoo and a smaller farm/zoo according to my googling. Think there might even be an aquarium? Hope you have fun!

Anna x

or here

Bath and North East Somerset CouncilAdvice, information and services from Bath & North East Somerset Council. Covers all aspects of life in Bath & North East Somerset from Business to Leisure.

www.bathnes.gov.uk

:wub:>:D<<'>

Hi,

I think Cheddar Caves are not far from Bath (although it's years since I've been).

Take care,

Jb

Bath, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful cities in the UK. There is a lot to see in the city itself and Longleat and Cheddar Gorge are somply amazing. Bristol Zoo is lovely, small - you can see the full extent of it standing in one place; should be ideal for your younger daughter as there is not much walking. Do you like steam trains?? There are some special excursions going out of Bristol in the next few weekends. If any of you are keen cyclists the Bristol and Bath Railway path is 15 miles of perfect surface, traffic free. Swindon has an excellent swimming complex with slides, waves etc. There is Monkey World, the Tank Museum nearby and much more. The area, especially the Somerset part, is full on brown signs on the road and you should be able to buy a book of local attractions in Smiths (in Bath) which will give you lots of ideas. The weather here is absolutely fabulous and I hope you all have a lovely time.

Yoyo

I really liked Bristol Zoo - was manageable even for me with the three boys.

Weston-Super-Mare Sea Life centre/aquarium was quite good too.

Karen

Do you like steam trains?? There are some special excursions going out of Bristol in the next few weekends.

The Avon valley railway is right next to my mums house!!! lol

Theres a place called Avon valley country park which is in between bristol & bath on the saltford road. There is also horseworld which i've never been to but is supposed to be ok....that is not far from bath.

Wookey hole caves are not far from longleat, cheddar gorge.......we have the docks in bristol where you can go on a lil boat trip & see the transport museum......

theres loadsa stuff to do i guess, not really sure why i'm always so bored now lmfao!!!

Edited by minerva

Heyy, that's my part of the country. I basically grew up in Longleat. My advice: Check the times of the safari buses when you arrive, you don't want to take a car in there. The maze can also take several hours, I warn you.

Not sure if it's your cup of tea, but Stourhead Gardens are only a few miles further from Longleat. Wonderful ornamental gardens surrounding a lake, unquestionably the most beautiful place in the wold in my eyes. I'm biased since it's very much where my heart is, but, well, look at the pictures.

If you're into your pre-history, Stonehenge and Avebury standing stones aren't far from Bath, West Kennet Longbarrow is also next door to Avebury if you've ever wanted to walk inside a tumulus.

Wookey Hole isn't too far either, you could probably do that and Cheddar Gorge in a (long) day. East Somerset Railway is under 15 miles from Bath, which is a good place as all kids love steam trains. On that note Gartell Light Railway is also around, but that's over 30 miles south..

Oh, and Farleigh Hungerford castle is no distance away, that's a pretty quiet place. My old AS-school was down a track the other side of the road from it. And Iford gardens! Even closer, lovely small ornamental garden. If you're into that sort of thing.

Have just got back from Longleat, very expensive!!!!! Queued for 1/2hour to get in! I would say it's geared to 5-9 yr olds.

Avebury is very busy this time of year (aunt lives in Marlborough a few miles down road) Bow wood House is near (went many years ago!)

Anna x

Ah, there's a trick to dodging queues at Longleat. You get the passport ticket from a local tourist information office such as Frome or Warminster (I don't know if they still do this, but they used to. Probably a good idea to call and check.) and then, you go in the exit!

You're not supposed to, but it's a "local" trick and nobody's stopped me before.

Swindon has an excellent swimming complex with slides, waves etc.

And a lot more besides, apparently ;)Link