Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

Feeling sick

The panel decides tomorrow whether to go ahead with Statutory Assessment of DS1 or not!

I just rang up because I wasn't sure of the dates, and I wish I hadn't now. I'm going to be a bag of nerves all day tomorrow, hoping for good karma and trying to imagine what's going on in their heads, and then I'll have to wait a week until I get the result.

How am I going to get through all that time?

I've been telling myself that I'm fully prepared for them to turn him down the first time, but of course I'm not.

I desperately want them to give the go-ahead tomorrow - I've put so much into this application.

Please folks, send your positive thoughts my way!

Lizzie :(:sick::pray:

Lizzie >:D<<'>

sending lots of positive vibes :pray::pray::pray::pray:

'why have you got to wait a week for the result'? I phoned on the same afternoon

and was told the outcome.

Brook

oh this brings back memories.............I was even dreaming about the fliippin meeting :blink: , really really hope it goes well.......hugs Suzex

Oh Lizzie, >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Sending all the positive thoughts I can in your direction during the next 24 hours. :pray::pray:

I know making parents' lives easier isn't high on the agenda of our LEA, but after our statutory assessments, we managed to get the decision out of them by phone within the week. The first time round, they weren't even intending to send the letters out till Christmas Eve! So ringing them is worth a try - you never know.

Crossing everything,

K x

Well, I rang, and apparently it's a no. No statutory assessment. ######.

The person on the phone didn't have the details, so I'll have to wait now to find out why, what, how etc.

###### ###### ######

:crying::crying::crying:

im sooo sorry to hear theyve refused your son an assessment , im going through the same thing, fingers crossed it will all be going to judicial review pretty soon..... :unsure:

i know how hard it is love, hang in there......

big hugs,

paula

I'm really sorry >:D<<'>

Take a little time and then get yourself prepared for the appeal process - that is what I have been doing. It is gut wrenching when you hope against hope that they will say yes, but hang on in there :thumbs:

KW

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Lizzie >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Why is it so hard to get the help our children need?

Better get the photocopier warmed up for the appeal to the tribunal .... :P

Aw Busy - what a gut wrencher - but - I know it is not much consolation, but I don't think that there are many that get a yes at the first attempt.

Ridiculous that we have to play these damn games - we have enough to contend with.

Get youself armed with as much info to take it to SENDIST. Also NAS, IPSEA or ACE can help you with the appeal process.

Good luck

HelenL

:(>:D<<'>

been there twice in last 10 months hun >:D<<'>

Be sure to ask for meeting to discuss their reasons (when you're feeling up to it)

Edited by Flora

Well, I spoke to one of the LEA bods today and the reasons for turning down statutory assessment are:

They acknowledge his AS and that he has difficulties, but they don't significantly impair his ability to access the curriculum. He's able to make and sustain friendships and is coping socially. He has no behavioural problems at school. At the moment his needs can be met by the school.

I disagree totally, of course - so does the OT, the clinical psychologist he's currently seeing at CAHMS and the private psych that diagnosed him.

Anyway, the bizarre bit (ie the unexpected bit!) is that they're recommending that school get the Gifted and Talented Advisory Teacher on board. What? Never knew there was one; why didn't school think of that when I was banging on about the reports that showed his IQ is high and he is classed as Gifted?

But the big issue at the moment is not that he's bored and needs to be extended and all the rest - although that would be nice - but that his spatial IQ is incredibly low so there's a huge discrepancy; he can't cope with the discrepancy and gets frustrated; his anxiety levels are sky-high; sensory issues seriously affect his ability to work; difficulties with social skills are steadily increasing and causing more anxiety; he's manages to hold it all together at school but is operating on red alert all the time... I could go on and on, I'm sure lots of you are familiar with this kind of story.

Surely we should be dealing with the basics and supporting him with the elements he has difficulties with first, rather than trying to turn him into super-Einstein?

The cynical side of my nature says this could actually work in his favour eventually, cos this is most likely the route to total meltdown at school - but it's not exactly something I would wish on my son!

We're off on holiday for a fortnight on Friday, so there's nothing we can do while away. When we come back, I'll arrange a meeting with the LEA bod and try and get more detail about their refusal.

Our plan is to treat this as the first stage of our campaign, the 'toe in the water', if you like, and then wait and reapply for assessment - I think we can do it after six months? If that also gets turned down, then we'll appeal.

I'm gutted, but I suppose it's what we expected (apart from the G&T bit!)

Thanks for your support, guys.

Lizzie (feeling very deflated)

Busy

If you wait six months till you apply again and you are turned down, the reality is that you may not be going to SENDIST till possibly end of 2007-2008.

If you appeal now, you will at least get a Tribunal date for a hearing before the end of the year.

I think that the six months is from the time that you first asked for SA so if it was say May this year then November would be your first time to reapply and then you are back to square one again.

You have nothing to lose by lodging an appeal at SENDIST - it may just scare the LEA into realising that you will not take this lying down.

Not trying to interfere, but time ###### marches on in this game!

HelenL

Hun I have been through this, we were refused assessment in October last year and appealed to SENDIST straight away (on the advice of PP rather than trying mediation) our hearing was not till March this year! but we won

they then did the assessment and in July we were refused statement after the LEA blatantly ignored all the reports so we are back to SENDIST in October this year (they gave us the date of end of November but I have requested an earlire date and agreed one with LEA(yes they can actually say yes eventually to some things lol)

PP are currently trying to liase with LEA for us as they have seen the note in lieu and can see how mch has been ignored, but I can't imagine the LEA will have the sense to change their monds without being made to statement by SENDIST.

I would advise you to appeal to SENDIST now as you can widthdraw your appeal at any time if things change.

Get things sorted the earlier the better, my ds is 11 and has no secondary school as having now been told by his primary school via the EP report that he has made little progress for 4 years we cannot risk sending him to secndary school without the security/support of a statement

Hi Lizzie,

It's news to me that there's a Gifted and Talented advisor round these parts :huh: . It would be nice if they put resources into ASD provision but don't get me started on that one. :ph34r::angry:

I'm sure you'll make the decision that's right for you at this time - the time limit for appeal (within 2 months) doesn't start till you actually get the LEA letter so you still have plently of time to decide what to do - even after your holiday.

K x

Funnily enough, got the letter today! She must have been typing it as she read it out to me. The letter is a little more abrupt than the phone call - 'although he has a dx of AS. there is no evidence to suggest that this is impacting on his ability to access the curriculum'. What was that huge bundle of papers that I sent in - including psychologists' reports saying 'he's not coping' - all about then!!!

Looks like they read the school report and left it at that. School hasn't got a clue - he's not buggering up their league tables so he's not an issue for them. DS1 is a bit upset about not getting some support, too. His last teacher, who was actually really good, has left now. DS1 says there'll never be anyone else like her. Gulp.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting the LEA ladies after my hols. I'd like to say I'll have loads of time lazing on the beach while I formulate my strategy, but this IS a holiday with two ASD kids and a third with suspected ADHD. Not much time for sane thought, then!!

Lizzie