Sign in to follow this  
openyoureyes

CAMPING

Just thought I would let you all know we tried camping overnight for the 1st time last weekend in North Wales. Both boys were really looking forward it.

Set up the tent on a great camp site within walking distance to the beach.

Spent all day on the beach and in the sea, it was wonderful. Went back to the beach later on in the evening and lit a fire and had marshmallows and toast.

I forgot all about the problems the boys have as they were really great and having a ball.

Went back to the tent and got into our sleeping bags, still all really excited and behaving really well.

Told some stories and I said to my husband, what a great time the boys were having.

From there it went downhill!!!

All went to sleep ok then at around 2.30am I was woken up by Ben (12yrs AS) saying that he couldn't sleep because the wind had woken him up. Then Tom (6yrs ASD) also was awake but very quite. Ben asked to swap places and sleep next to his dad which I did. I snuggled upto Tom only to realise he was petrified by the wind, with this hands over his ears whispering for it to stop.

The wind then really picked up and Tom was inconsoluble, screaming and probably waking up the whole site.

I decided to put the boys in the car to sleep as thought it would be quite there. So we tiptoed out of the tent and put both boys in the car. I told my husband he had better stay in the car with them (don't want them escaping). So I was left in the tent on my own. The wind did not really bother me but lying there on my own in a field under canvas was really spooky, so I too decided I would get in the car.

At around 5.30am both my hubby and I had had no sleep so we decided to get up and pack up the tent etc and drive home whilst the boys were still sound asleep.

Got the tent and everything else into the car trying not to wake everyone up (again). 6.30am turned the key in the car and yes youve guessed it the car would not start, the engine had got damp from the sea.

My husband by this point was about to blow but I calmed him down and said we would have to wait for someone to wake up and help.

At last 7am a great bloke came over and sprayed some WD and hooray we set off for home.

When I asked the boys would they go camping again they both said yes but not when its windy!!!

Oh well, at least it was an experience and to be honest I really enjoyed myself.

just thought I would share this with you incase you were thinking about camping.

>:D<<'> oh cheryl , what an experience :( , at least they had a good time on the beach ,hope you have a good day today and the sleep over goes well, suzex

could you set the tent up in the garden to let them get used to the noise of the wind, maybe even provide ear plugs :lol: that way if it gets too much they can come inside

The wind can be very scary when you're camping especially in modern dome tents. The best tents are actually the old canvas scout patrol tents - they can withstand hurricane force gales and you wouldn't even know it was windy - speaking from experience here when all the plastic tents were destroyed on the campsite and the only ones left standing were the patrol tents and the camper vans.

I love camping me! :D

Sounds scary. We are hoping to go to alton towers and useour pass for three days this august have bought a cheap alsi tent and looking forward to roughing ut a but, We have a motorhome but it is off road at moment and to save money thouight son ( asd adhd dyp) and ds (5 suspected asd) would like ie. If you are visiting alton towrs and indeed camping in the next two weks do let us know. Good luck( when staubg in a hotel room have yet ti have a nights sleep - hence self catering)

Sounds scary. We are hoping to go to alton towers and useour pass for three days this august have bought a cheap alsi tent and looking forward to roughing ut a but, We have a motorhome but it is off road at moment and to save money thouight son ( asd adhd dyp) and ds (5 suspected asd) would like ie. If you are visiting alton towrs and indeed camping in the next two weks do let us know. Good luck( when staubg in a hotel room have yet ti have a nights sleep - hence self catering)

Hi Madme

on the subject of Alton Towers, we went the other week just for the day, remember to go to customer relations just inside the entrance, if you take your statement you will be issued wrist bands so you don;t have to que, it was brilliant, funny looks from other people but who cares, the boys loved it.

Have a great time and hope the weather shines

my sister persuaded me to camping once,me and nick brought a one man tent,we are not the smallest people so bad idea,once i got comfy we stripped off(to go to sleep!!!) woke up about 2 hours later more cold than i have ever been in my life,got dressed again then went to sleep,woke up by nicks horrendous snoring so went to sleep in my sisters car,was woken up about 5 in morning by a man looking in the car window :o it was a security guard,i was petrified,have never been camping since,i wonder why!!!