nellie

The make school make sense blogs

I've just found this on the NAS Make School Sense Campaign.

The make school make sense blogs

As part of the make school make sense campaign, three people have volunteered to write a 'blog' (an online diary) following their day-to-day experiences of living and working with children with autism.

http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1134

Ok, before I even click and look at the link I am hoping that when I do I discover that the three people are the following:

1. An Autistic teen or adult

2. A parent of an Autistic child

3. A professional working with Autistics in an educational setting

Lets see...

This is weird for me, because he is at the same place as my son :wacko:

Things are not going so well for Auriel :( I think he will probably be coming home :(:(

Bid

Edited by bid

This is weird for me, because he is at the same place as my son :wacko:

Things are not going so well for Auriel :( I think he will probably be coming home :(:(

Bid

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Oh I shoulda posted a link I've been reading these for a few weeks now I was very unimpressed with SENCO's blog as it only had one entry when I last looked - I am presuming she was off on her hols! oh well off to check for any improvements. Josh's stuff is great - I did leave a comment on all three but they weren't all printed.

anyway thanks for posting the link - you guys are great for links I've learnt so much through you all :)

Lorraine

You can find Joshua's website on his blog, it includes the speech he delivered in the House of Commons on the 24th May at the start of the NAS Education Campaign.

Nellie xx

I'm not surprised Josh has become a high profile ambassador for the campaign. I was lucky enough to hear him speak at a recent NAS seminar a few months ago - he was the best speaker there, spoke frankly about his experiences and had loads of brilliant advice for teachers.

(Bid, >:D<<'> >:D<<'> )

K x

Joshua is certainly one observant, funny young man - when I read the bit about the supermarket, in particular the car park, I was rolling! :lol::lol::lol:

And the lift! He's answered a question I've had for ages. My AS son always takes the lift while I always think "why on earth would he take the lift when there's a perfectly good set of stairs there." He's obviously thinking the opposite to me :lol: It's no wonder our worlds collide so regularly.

Perhaps I'm not so aspie as I first thought!

I've really enjoyed Josh's posts and wanted to comment. Unfortunately (or stupidly) I can't work out how you register in order to leave a comment! Every time I try to create a blogger account, it says "this username is not available" (no matter what I put as a username).

Like I say, it's prob me being thicko, but Josh has commented a few times in his blog about people not leaving comments - maybe people are just having difficulty registering as a blogger?

Enjoying reading it tho, just feel a bit sorry that he's not getting comments, cos I bet there's loads of folks dipping in and reading his updates.

I do believe Josh to be in errror, for the lift in question is but for those of the wheelchair bound persuasion.

The lifts are for the exclusive use of those unable to use the stairs (except in a fire), as we were told on the first day, in our induction tutorial! :unsure:

I didn't know such rules were universal, unless you go to the same place as Josh. I can't understand why any lift is exclusively for wheelchair-use unless there is a pen pusher somewhere that delights in simply being able to tell people what to do without having to give a reason for it.

...unless there is a pen pusher somewhere that delights in simply being able to tell people what to do without having to give a reason for it.

Welcome to the wild and wacky world of local government :lol:

Reading Josh's Blog has inspired me to have a go myself. So I've called it Memoirs of an Aspie and I'm going to try and update as much as possible about my life and AS. I don't want to do just a normal blog in that I tell people what I'm doing because to be honest it's not all that interesting. Instead I'm going to focus on the AS aspect and really try and explain living with my AS on a day to day basis.

I have quite a mad week coming up, not this week (starting tomorrow) but the week after (week beginning October 2nd). For some reason I have a lot of things going on that week, it wasn't really by accident so I can't use that as an excuse, but the closer it gets the more I'm beginning to dread it. It will be interesting I think to see how I cope and if I have a big meltdown. Usually I space things out but 3 things I want to do and a couple of birthdays, appointment with my psych and my mom performing with her choir have fallen on one week.

It might be interesting to no one or it could interest a couple of you, I thought I'd let you all know anyway because (and not being big headed, I have the posts to prove you've said it!!) a couple of you have mentioned how you like reading my posts to get an AS perspective.

Anyway, I've only posted one entry so far as I only created it this morning. But hopefully tomorrow I will put up my itinery for the week after and explain some of my apprehensions that I'm facing.

You can find the blog here Memoirs of an Aspie

Badonkadonk

xxx

And that SENCO it seems will never be writing in that blog again, the last entry was in MAY!

I hope the NAS continues to provide links to all these blogs as they will demonstrate how even an interested volunteer professional tends to behave in comparison with an Autistic student and a parent.