Kathryn

Off to her first party in over two years

L has gone to an engagement party tonight for two of her friends at college. She hasn't been to a social gathering in nearly three years but she really wanted to go to this one. She emailed them of her own accord to say she was coming. I was afraid it would be a firework party in view of the date but she assured me it isn't, as one of the hosts is autistic and hates loud noises too!

Her dad has taken her and it's half an hour's drive away - it would have to be tonight as it sounds like the Blitz outside at the moment. :wacko: She's got her ear defenders and CD player with her though.

We also realised this morning she has no way of contacting us if she has a problem- she doesn't use the phone at all these days as she finds it hard to listen and process speech, and she can't text easily as she finds it hard to manipulate the small keys on most mobiles. So today we've bought her a mobile that's fairly easy to use and given her a quick lesson on it. Hopefully when she wants to leave she'll be able to use one of the preprogrammed texts to contact her dad who will lurk somewhere nearby (she doesn't want him at the party). I suppose we should have organised ourselves better and got the phone sooner to give her time to practise.

I hope it goes OK. :pray: She seems fairly cool about it all, even taking into account the noise outside. She was wondering if she should take a book to the party in case she gets bored. :)

K x

Well done L! :clap::clap: Nothing ventured nothing gained. :unsure:

Fingers crossed that she has a successful night. :pray: Try not to worry Kathryn, saying that, I would be pacing the floor. :tearful:

Nellie >:D<<'>

Hi,

Sorry, computer is playing up and I couldn't get on here last night to post an update.

L stayed more than two hours :thumbs: and seems to have had a good time. Not the most ideal conditions for a first social outing, she didn't like the music at first but couldn't go outside to escape it, because of the fireworks! Her dad says she looked a bit agitated once or twice but she was able to contain it and her friends looked after her well.

Her dad stayed in the car park (it would have taken a long time to get home and back again) and slowly froze in the car, :lol: luckily he did stay as he saw her come out to call him and she was struggling a bit with the phone.

Proud of her, she did well. :wub::clap:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Really pleased she enjoyed herself :D

oh how lovely,i dream for the day steve can go to a party and posts like yours do make me feel hopeful about his future,well done to your daughter and what a lovely old dad eh,and mum of course!!