Sign in to follow this  
lisa

Statements

Statements - Has there been a change of policy?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. In the past 6 months have you either:

• Been sucessful in getting a Statement or Proposed Statement
    • Been refused Assessment or Statement

It seems to me that we're having more members sucessfully getting statements lately than being refused and I was wondering if all this in the news about AS and autism being the worse served by the current system is bringing a slight change of policy. Last year there were quite a few of us going to tribunal but it seems like a lot more good news this year so I thought I'd do a poll to check.

Hope it works, not done one before!!!!

Lisa

Hi Lisa

I can't answer this one as it has not been in the last six months - but I am awaiting the results of the annual review and whether they will change the statement. I will know by the end of next week. If they amend I may record it as a yes.

I think you are right though. The parents I am supporting are getting statements eventhough they are badly written.

Love

Helen

I don't know, Lisa. It would be good if true, but In my area the trend seems to be the opposite way. Major changes in SEN funding are taking place as I speak and they involve definite and deliberate moves to reduce statementing for children whose needs are "less significant" (quote from LEA document). Guess which children will fall into that category. :wacko:

Couldn't vote in your poll as the questions don't apply to me.

K x

Kathryn,

It seemed to be going that way in our LEA, I battled for 2 years to get my daughter a statement, we went to tribunal and lost, then tried again this year expecting to go to tribunal again but the LEA said YES!

Our local NAS group have been monitoring our AS members and statutory assessment and as far as they're aware they haven't given out a statement for AS for about 18 months although they denied that they had a policy of not giving statements for Aspergers. All of a sudden quite a few members with AS kids have sucessfully got statements. Seems to me like somethings going on.

Lisa

I have voted that I have been successful in the past 6 months but I could also say I have been REFUSED in the last 6 months as I have had to fight like a trojan for it (2 tribunals this year!)

So I would not say it is now easier by any means unfortunately.

It needs to be though!

Perhaps it is just that after years of fighting there's a group of us who have finally worn the LEAs down and got statements. I know my daughters statement was hard won and in fact we're planning to go to tribunal again over the contents of the statement so we're not quite there yet.

L has AS, Dyslexia, probably ADD and a visual tracking and scanning problem which makes reading and copying from the board difficult yet the LEA have only given her 10 hrs LSA support, the same as my son. He has AS and although it's not easy for him, he has no where near as many difficulties as my daughter.

It's also a very short statement, 2 pages in total which considering they have a pile of reports about 3 inches thick is pretty poor and in my opinion doesn't reflect her difficulties very well at all.

Lisa

still waiting to hear a response to our req for a stat assessment - of course they did offer us an inclusion partnership agreement. I think this is another word for COP OUT as it involved no ongoing support in the classroom, just a series of "meetings by interested parties" - you know the ones who never send the same representative twice and the ones "who don't deal with Autism or ASpergers."

Got my sleeves rolled up for the fight!

Hi, don't know if it's getting easier, guess it will vary according to area. But can say that I had to fight long and hard to get eldest sons statement, from him practically starting school until he finally got it around the age of 9!!

Yet my yougest son who has just started school and has some difficulties (attention deficit type I think) has immediately had involvement from Senco team and statementing has already been at least mentioned by them first! Have to say I'm a bit astounded but pleased, seems in this area at least things may be changing.

Have to smile when I remember my eldest sons headmaster (who was dreadful) telling me very pompously there was no point even asking for a statement because they would be phased out within the next few months - that was about 6 years ago!! :D

Luv Witsend.

This area seems to be quite good with statements (in my experience but know of others who havent been as lucky) My eldest son had his statement completed within 4 months (that is including the time on IEP's and gathering the 'evidence')... this was increased in Y3 at school to get him to a special school but this actually took longer than the original. The 2nd statement for my 7yr old i was told i wouldnt get due to the fact his behaviour was controlled in what he was doing and the proposed statement is through which has taken 3 months to get.

I have to add to my vote that although I received his statement in July this year, it had taken me a whole year and a half getting there, and that included a solicitor and a LOT of fighting etc too (not to mention all the years before when I knew something was not right and thye told me I was basically imagining things). And now, still not all aspects of his statement are fully carried out, but the new SENCO is actually very good and I don't want to get on her wrong side by pushing things too much. The improvements to his school life and hence our life as a family are colossal, so I am very grateful!

Another thought has just come to me.

I've been coming on this site for about 3 years, in that time, I've managed, against the odds to get both of my children statements. I would never have even known that I could make a parental request for assessment if it hadn't been for this site and I most definitely wouldn't have gone to tribunal without all the support and advice from the members here. I wouldn't have known about IPSEA or ACE or even known what the SEN Code of Practice was. So basically, without this site, my kids still wouldn't have statements because the school were adamant that they wouldn't get them!!

The fact that quite a few of us have finally got statements for our kids this year after long, hard fights probably has more to do with this site than a change in policy towards AS kids.

This site has made a big difference to our lives in other ways too. Cinema passes, guest assistance passes at Disney, preboarding flights.... it all helps to make life a little easier to cope with. We wouldn't have got DLA because no one had ever told us we could claim until I heard about it here and I'd still be awake half the night, EVERY NIGHT!! because I wouldn't have heard of melatonin.

So thanks Kris and Elefan for starting this site!! >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> You're fantastic!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Lisa

Another thought has just come to me.

I've been coming on this site for about 3 years, in that time, I've managed, against the odds to get both of my children statements. I would never have even known that I could make a parental request for assessment if it hadn't been for this site and I most definitely wouldn't have gone to tribunal without all the support and advice from the members here. I wouldn't have known about IPSEA or ACE or even known what the SEN Code of Practice was. So basically, without this site, my kids still wouldn't have statements because the school were adamant that they wouldn't get them!!

The fact that quite a few of us have finally got statements for our kids this year after long, hard fights probably has more to do with this site than a change in policy towards AS kids.

This site has made a big difference to our lives in other ways too. Cinema passes, guest assistance passes at Disney, preboarding flights.... it all helps to make life a little easier to cope with. We wouldn't have got DLA because no one had ever told us we could claim until I heard about it here and I'd still be awake half the night, EVERY NIGHT!! because I wouldn't have heard of melatonin.

So thanks Kris and Elefan for starting this site!! >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> You're fantastic!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Lisa

The same for us, statement, help with DLA, SEN code, IPSEA, sleep, my sanity, etc etc, has all been achieved thanks to this forum, so thanks to those having started it, and thanks to those on this site who are spending their time reading and answering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Now all I need is tackling SS (ahem, yeah I know, I have really given up on them by now, but one can but hope, winning the lottery is probably more achievable)

Same from me, without this site, Max wouldn't have got his statement with excellent provision. I used lots of examples and info off this site. Hooray to everyone!

Jo