Viper

Watch

Hello Viper,

I havent seen you on here for ages, how are things?

Loraine x

Hi Loraine.

No I've moved to another forum. Don't post here any more, only posted today to alert you all to the programme tonight. Thought it was of interest to you all but I was shot down in flames again. Hence why I no longer post here.

Currently watching. I guess there are two things in the programme that are relevent to us on the forum:

1. Disability rights stuff. The lad is disabled(a long-term negative effect on his day to day functioning) yet appears to have had little disability self-awareness teaching, which is pretty much a similiar thing for Autism.

2. In loco parentis; part of the problem seems to be a lack of effective parental authority, so I'm a bit confused about how FURTHER undermining this will help.

EDIT: I meant to post this in the 'Watch this' thread. Kris is going to move it there.

Edited by Lucas

oh i always miss programmes :crying: i read about the boy in the paper today,i will have to wait for the programme to be repeated,did any of you watch it?

I watched it and it made me very angry. The boys mother is a very depressed woman. This has a bearing on her son's health as she is so negative and persuading him to eat better seems too hard to her. The whole family needs help together. CBT for a start- but this programme is going to make their lives so much harder. There were so many lingering shots of the mum's cigarettes and messy garden. I am not a smoker but these days if tv producers want to give the impression of a bad mother they just show her lighting up.

It also made me angry as the boy is not just overweight, he is also very tall for his age, and is to have tests this week to see if a hormonal problem is to blame. Surely they should have done that before making such a judgemental programme?

Hi,

Chriss, I couldn't agree with you more. I felt annoyed while watching just how this programme has been made to look to others. There will be so many people already judging this woman and her family and in my opinion by showing this programme, it'll only make their problems worse.

Surely, there must be a medical problem why her son is so hungry all the time - it must be difficult all the same but I don't think taking him to care (hope it doesn't happen) would help him psychologically.

Only last week I watched a programme on annorexia, about kids going into a boarding house to make them eat, now this, this week. It seems we can't be fat, we can't be thin, we must all be normal, whayever normal is!!! I do understand that this boy and his family need help but it's not going to be easy either for her or her son. I can hear people now judging her, laying in bed with a fag on :P I genuinely feel sorry for her and hope they get some useful help. As I alway's say, understanding from others goes along way.

CBT would be VERY useful.

I cringed watching and wish I hadn't watched it now coz I probably won't be able to get if off my mind now. This sounds selfish of me but I take on everyone's problems as if they are my own and instantly want to help them.

Sorry for the rant.....

Best Wishes,

Rach

The programme is the type of populist trash ITV regularly pumps out nowadays to boost their viewing ratings. I am bit concerned that the TV camera managed to capture the family's address. Were they aware of this at the time? I suspect the boy has some medical problem as opposed to being a glutton and this should have been investigated before making such a judgemental programme. This might be cynical, but a possibility exists that ITV paid the family good money to make the programme, and their financial situation made it an offer they couldn't refuse.

Canopus I also wondered why the family agreed to be in the programme but I guessed that they were under the impression the tv crew were on their side and it would be a positive thing. The meeting with social services to discuss the childs care is today. It seems very wrong that a programme like this can be shown before such a meeting. I hope the family are well represented as it would be a travesty if he was taken into care now as he has lost 22lbs since christmas (pretty good going if you ask me!) and the family would benefit from more support especially in dealing with the mothers depression. The newspapers say the boy has lost weight but still doesn't like fruit or vegetables as if this is a good reason to put him in care. Isn't that quite normal with 8 year old boys? He seemed such a happy kid I hope he gets the help he needs and isn't a victim of bad tv and political correctness.

I watched the programme and my fist thought was prada willi syndrome.............ive spelt it wrong i know..........Im no expert but alarm bells rang as to me it seamed the boy had other difficulties ie learning ones,and his mother said he ate constantly and would raide the fride and eat everything he could get his hands on..............

Now the mother was very depressed and we all know how medical folks fob yer of unless yer fight and push so imagine being a single parent,depressed and maybe a little bit uneducated and ill informed PW syndrome isnt something most people would know about ..how would yer go about saying i think its this could he be tested ect............She wouldnt have a clue and if she did maybe she wouldnt have the strenth to fight the system............

This programme was obviously put out to discredit mum,who was constantly shown in bed,fag in hand,house messy,garden wrecked ect....................

Only at the end of the programme did they say test were going to be conducted..........PW comes on a spectrum i think and i bet yer bottom doller if it turns out he has this and its not MUMs fault theyll be no follow up programme.............

Im surprised at ITV and Sir Trevor.........

I watched the programme and my fist thought was prada willi syndrome

Hi Paula - had some similar thoughts to your own, having worked with an adult with PW... I didn't actually see the prog, but agree with everything that's been said about the possibility of editorial agenda's...

Whatever the circumstances, the boy would seem to have an eating disorder, and it seems (from what bits I did see) that this hasn't been investigated appropriately or supportively...

There was a programme on the night before last (i think - the half ton man??) about eating disorders/morbid obesity, and there appears to be a chemical imbalance leading to some eating compulsions - similar to those highlighted by drug dependency and alcoholism. One of the people interviewed asked these very reasonable questions - 'How well do you think a Heroin addict would do giving up if he had to take one hit every day? Or an alcoholic who had to drink one measure of whisky?'

Food doesn't have a 'cold turkey' option (well, if you don't count anorexia)...

L&P

BD

We were discussing the idea of PW Syndrome at work last night, as we have experience of this disorder.

Bid

Edited by bid

Prader Willi Syndrome is a complex genetic disoder, with characteristics which include excessive appetite, and also learning disabilities.

In a sad case like this presumably any genetic disorders would be screened for??

Bid

Edited by bid

Im not utterly up on Prada Willi syndrome but from what i do know its where the person has a utter compulsion to eat they never ever feel full and will even eat things from a dustbin basically anything they can get there hands on .it is often accompanied by some form of learning difficultie although not always and this could be so mild has not to be picked up on...........I watched a programme on PW and sometimes it wasnt untill these children were well into there teens that the syndrome had finaly been diagnosed and then only after years of hell for the parents insisting there was something wrong...........

Baddad i saw the tv programme you refer to

I am glad he is still with his mum. Thanks for the link Brook.

ITV and Sir Trevor should be ashamed of themselves as this is very poor journalism indeed, and for what cause? Wouldn't it have been better television to try to get some proper help for the family or to film him as he was tested to see if there was a genetic, hormonal or psychological reason behind his food addiction? Instead of blaming his mother and effectively kicking her while she is down.

ITV and Sir Trevor should be ashamed of themselves as this is very poor journalism indeed, and for what cause?

I'm wondering whether Sir Trevor should resign in shame. It disgusts me that a struggling TV channel should have to resort to such journalism in the attempt to increase viewing ratings. If you didn't already know, times have not been good for ITV in recent years and the channel is at risk of collapse or being taken over unless some "magic bullet" solution is found.

Wouldn't it have been better television to try to get some proper help for the family or to film him as he was tested to see if there was a genetic, hormonal or psychological reason behind his food addiction? Instead of blaming his mother and effectively kicking her while she is down.

Exactly. I had an unnerving feeling before watching the programme that it could be a crude piece of journalism. ITV was founded as a populist entertainment channel rather than a channel for quality documentaries, and ITV programme producers do not let facts get in the way of an attractive storyline.

I found this very difficult viewing.

The family are clearly doing the best they all can at this time - it's disgraceful that they haven't been given more support, when it's so clear they need it. Like most, i felt it was poorly made. I know that i'll be one of the many emailing the Tonight programme on a daily basis should a diagnosis or condition become apparent - at the very, very least - there would need to be something mentioned on air.

My first thought was PW too.