something vague

Insomnia

Anyone else get insomnia? I've lay in bed for 4 hours waiting to drift off...........its just not gonna happen!!

I've given up, I'm having cornflakes and ovaltine now LOL and evening primrose capsules and vit B tablets just in case its a mid-life thing.........I'm a martyr to my hormones LOL :wacko:

SV

Yes, I have an awful lot of trouble sleeping. :( Sometimes I go off to sleep okay, but then I wake in the small hours and then lay awake for hours and toss and turn for the rest of the night. Other times I'm dead tired when I'm sitting downstairs, but the minute I get into bed I'm wide awake and lay there for hours fretting (about school mostly)! :wacko: I go over and over things in my head and wind myself up into a real state, it's no wonder I can't get to sleep. Eventually I go off to sleep and then wake early again and can't get back again. :tearful:

~ Mel ~

I regularly can't sleep. Sometimes I wake in the early hours or sometimes I just can't get to sleep and get so fed up at not being able to sleep! Don't have any answers :(:blink:

At the moment it's not a case of going to sleep but waking up: 4am every day (and that's after not getting to bed until about midnight)

No suggestions on how to solve though (although in my case not worrying about books, meet-ups and work might be a start :lol:)

Oh yes, I'm an expert on Insomnia.

I find I have to keep changing the things that will get me off to sleep, keep finding new ways. This week it's watching Poker on the telly. Usually I quite like watching Poker but the commentator is BORING so I drop right off :D

What I would suggest is take a pro-active approach to dealing with Insomnia. If you can't sleep, accept the fact and do something else for half an hour rather than continue to torture yourself by trying to sleep, changing the way you lie and generally huffing and puffing getting into a big strop. It will only make you more tired the next day and more irritable if you've been trying to get to sleep all night. I find that by doing something else for a bit (sudoku, reading, looking up things on Wikipedia) I take my mind off trying to sleep and start to feel naturally tired again.

And if all else fails there is another thing you can do, I mean it works better if you have a willing partner but you can always go solo I guess :lol: You can probably guess what I'm on about but let's just say it works (as long as you haven't woken your partner up in a grump) most of the time and if not it's fun trying :lol::dance::D

Emily

xxx

And if all else fails there is another thing you can do, I mean it works better if you have a willing partner but you can always go solo I guess :lol: You can probably guess what I'm on about but let's just say it works (as long as you haven't woken your partner up in a grump) most of the time and if not it's fun trying :lol::dance::D

What about if you haven't got a partner? I don't like playing board games on my own.

Oh hang on, you don't mean board games do you? Well that's another childhood innocence ruined. You're depraved Emily. Tsk, tsk tsk - some of us have risen above such, ahem, 'activities' (sadly)(oh dear God, sadly - a man has needs you know. It's not easy being a 30 something with no social life and a ticking biological clock. What I wouldn't give for <rest of sentence removed on moral, legal and decency grounds> :crying:)

I didn't think it was that shocking a thing to write to be honest, but maybe that's because I'm 'depraved'! :lol:

Apols for bringing it up but if it works it works! :D

Emily

xxx

Oh and TN like I said, just wait till you start your new job, there has to be women working there, men would make horrendous receptionists!

:lol::lol::lol: Oh Emily...that would have the opposite effect on me :lol::lol::lol:

TN :lol::lol: ...is your biological clock REALLY ticking? :whistle:

SV, same here :( I tend to read now till I drop off :huh: I was told to try warm baths with scented oils, milky drinks, scented oils in room, sticking to a regular routine....going to bed at same time, getting up at same time. There are some natural remedies available. I was also advised to write down all I was thinking and feeling at bedtime, to try and clear my head. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

TN :lol::lol: ...is your biological clock REALLY ticking? :whistle:

Not in that way but as blokes get older, they slow down, bits don't do what they used to do etc. Do I really need to go into detail? Ask Mr BP and I'm sure he'll say the same (or maybe he won't - he's done his bit for world re-population :lol:)

Love your new avvy Bagpuss, it's sad but I'm fascinated by it. I keep watching it , but I can't move one eyebrow at a time they insist on moving together. Do you think I need to get out more?! :whistle::lol:

Oh TN, don't you go talking about bits ! :shame: (only coz I spluttered into my tea) :lol:

TN....Oway man, your nowt but a young pup :shame: Mr BP is far too old for any shinnanigans of THAT sort....well, actually he's too far afraid now of getting stubble rash from me :ph34r::lol:

Thanks Bikergal :D

Edited by Bagpuss

See this is where I've always been lucky to have more of the male brain than I should have for a female, I'm just like blokes after you-know-what, fast asleep, dont want to cuddle at all (I'm Aspergic innit, don't touch me!) and talking in my sleep....no wonder Bob loves me :lol:

TN - seriously, I'm gonna throw my brick at you in a minute, you're a big blubbering baby this afternoon. Oohhh I've had too many job offers after I've got offered a job, pity me I'm RELATIVELY (he he) young and single and can do what I want and when I want to but still it's terrible because TN Jnr might malfunction in about 30 years time....blah blah blah, go tell the guinea pigs!

SV sorry to hijack your post/turn it into a smutfest/whine session by TN! (I'm gonna get proper thumped in a minute :jester: )

Emily

xxx

I like the way that this has, as per usual, become my fault. There I was all being all young(ish) and twiddling my thumbs at work and now this. Yes I'm having a bad day. If I was a woman then someone would no doubt suggest having a lie down, watching a film and eating chocolate. But, being a bloke I just have to get on with it, put up with the abuse - AARRGGHH :fight:

Edited by TheNeil

Gosh this thread has gone in some funny directions :o

I had a fantastic nights sleep last night about 10 till 8 this morning :D so feeling GOOD :dance:

SV

Glad we could be of help :wacko:

TN i'm glad its your thumbs your twiddling....... :lol:

yes i have trouble sleeping too, or i wake up at stupid o clock in the morning....and its always when el is going through a sleeping phase, why is that?!

but then again if its not els bells waking me up in the night its custard.......grrrr :angry:

and thanks for that emily.....from another person who isnt getting any!!! :blink:

I'm lucky to be on the other extreme - I sleep well but I'm always tired. Don't know what to do to stay awake during the day!! :hypno::lol:

C.

OK so here i am again!!

The willing partner is fast asleep...........hmph it worked for him! Emily maybe it only works for blokes and girls with male brains!

I've read Neil's book and that didnt do the trick :lol:

Hot milky drinks have done nothing and I'm not gonna have ANOTHER bath.

Half an hour of Tetris hasnt made me tired..........bored but not tired!

What else can I try!!

SV

Dunno! :crying::crying:

But if you figure it out - let me know :(

I seem to go through bouts of weird sleep patterns. Couple of weeks i'm up till goodness knows when (tried all the normal 'make you sleepy' stuff.....), then a couple of weeks of flaking out at 10! I just can't seem to get the balance right :(

Ok SV, desperate times call for desperate measures....here is my 'last resort' method that I use.

If you don't already (and not saying you do already and calling you an alky or anything) try having a glass of wine or something in the evening so you are more relaxed when you go to bed. I don't have wine because I loathe it but I do have a glass of baileys when I'm feeling angsty and I know I'm going to have trouble sleeping.

If all else fails.....turn up the heating to sauna like conditions, drink half a bottle of Jack Daneils/Jamesons and eventually you will pass out!

Foolproof!

Emily

xxx

I used to suffer alot but then started going to the gym, as i work from home during the week and spend alot of my time sitting at pc etc i found that i didnt sleep. Once i started the gym i found that as i was exercising i was more tired in the evening and managed to sleep.

I always have a hot bath before going to bed and try to get up at the same time everyday. If i have to long a lie in at wkends on during school hols it messes up my sleep pattern and then i go back to sleepless nights again.

When i had sleeping problems i bought herbal slleping pills and lavender spray which goes on your pillow which sometimes helped.

There's supposed to be something in the chemical make up of lettuce which induces sleep, so some people recommend a lettuce sandwich before bed.

I get intermittent insomnia, despite doing all the 'right' things. Doesn't seem to matter whether or not I'm stressed (often I sleep better when I have loads to worry about!), it's just that sometimes I sleep and other times I don't, there doesn't seem to be a regular pattern.

One thing that's really helped me is silicone earplugs. I hadn't realised how much my sleep problems were due to very slight noises but now that I use them I don't hear a thing.

Karen, who slept like a rock last night (but it doesn't happen very often)

x

takes me ages to get off to sleep and i mean hours,they say get up if you cant sleep but im too tired to get up so lay there exhausted desperately trying to go to sleep,have tried everything,reading,bath before bed milky drinks,nothing works,mines stress i think though,i even sat up one night reading baddads old posts now thats boring emily but even that didnt send me off,just made me depressed AND tired :lol::lol:

Ive suffered with insomnia for about 15 years now. I go to bed about midnight and wake up around 3. no amount of anything (except perhaps the jack daniels) gets me back to sleep, i decorated my last house in 2 weeks, all done in the wee small hours. Even before i had DS when i was working i only had around 3 hours. when i get DS diagnosed i am gonna look for a night job. figure i may as well use insomnia to my advantage.